HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:16 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
why does the size of the street make the project less financially viable? Never heard this explanation before- maybe this sheds light on the lack of progress.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
There really is no rational reason for the lack of action going on between Temple and Fairmount Ave. The reality is that there has been less of a stigma about putting new housing in Fishtown/Kensington based on the demographics of that area in spite of the fact that there are lots of issues (litter, crime, drugs) in that area. At the end of the day I think that is the bottom line, even if it's never expressed as such. In spite of Temple and all the growth around the university there is still something about the moniker "north Philadelphia" that has led many market rate developers to avoid the area in spite of all the positives about it's location and transit access. Sure there is a lot going on between Fairmount and Girard, but remember they are very careful to rename any area that is being improved- so Francisville is never discussed as if it's part of North Philadelphia. Same for Fairmount and Brewerytown. Conversely, regardless of the specific neighborhood most people are comfortable identifying gentrifying areas of South Philly as South Philly.

The interior of what I'd call core-"Fishtown" is one of the cleanest and safest neighborhoods in greater Center City. I'm thinking essentially north of Girard, east of Frankford, south of York. You're hard pressed to find a piece of trash on the ground. I have many friends who live there and I'm often impressed by how little litter there is, especially compared to other "hot" neighborhoods.

As for crime, it's literally a non-concern. Maybe in East Kensington closer to the El and Old Richmond north of York and south of Aramingo, but Fishtown-proper? No way.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
The interior of what I'd call core-"Fishtown" is one of the cleanest and safest neighborhoods in greater Center City. I'm thinking essentially north of Girard, east of Frankford, south of York. You're hard pressed to find a piece of trash on the ground. I have many friends who live there and I'm often impressed by how little litter there is, especially compared to other "hot" neighborhoods.

As for crime, it's literally a non-concern. Maybe in East Kensington closer to the El and Old Richmond north of York and south of Aramingo, but Fishtown-proper? No way.
I'm really talking more along the EL itself and more into the fast changing areas- likely more kensington than fishtown at this point. There is still plenty of blight and urban issues along the EL once you get past Girard or Berks Street.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Someone asks you a straightforward question and you chose to post this as a reply?

..okay

It makes sense that large plots are more difficult to get financing for, why does the size of the street matter? I'm honestly curious about this too, I had not heard that before.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
I'm really talking more along the EL itself and more into the fast changing areas- likely more kensington than fishtown at this point. There is still plenty of blight and urban issues along the EL once you get past Girard or Berks Street.
Yeah. But that's not Fishtown.

Fishtown is east of Frankford.

The sliver between the El and Frankford is East Kensington.

By Philadelphia standards, Fishtown is pristine.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Someone asks you a straightforward question and you chose to post this as a reply?

..okay

It makes sense that large plots are more difficult to get financing for, why does the size of the street matter? I'm honestly curious about this too, I had not heard that before.
I would assume larger streets = larger plots, also larger streets are, in theory, better locations and therefore more $$$, which again, makes financing harder to get.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:10 PM

Also wider streets tend to have more generous zoning. They won't get developed until an area can support large apartment or condo projects. If they do it will be super high end row homes like you see near Broad and Bainbridge.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Yeah. But that's not Fishtown.

Fishtown is east of Frankford.

The sliver between the El and Frankford is East Kensington.

By Philadelphia standards, Fishtown is pristine.
I didn't mean to offend Fishtown fans. All I was saying is that there are a lot of "challenges" along the quickly developing El corridor between Northern Libs and Frankford. So the idea that North Philadelphia is too "bad" to see much in the way of non college student market rate development makes no sense to me.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:27 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
The problem is youse are confusing causation with correlation. I was noting the correlation that our larger sites are concentrated on our wider streets. This would help explain why they remain underdeveloped because of course larger properties are more difficult to finance than smaller ones.

Also I will note that some people have an established MO of not being worth arguing with.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:13 AM

From Patco. If you look close you can see the crane on the horizon.

Last edited by jrdizzy; Dec 11, 2017 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:04 AM

12/18/2017

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:56 PM

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 7:07 PM

[QUOTE=summersm343;8032097]Tower crane on the right.

Whereswaldo.1987

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Crane was actually moving today- first time I've seen that.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:49 AM

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:05 PM

A couple perspectives from the other day

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 9:47 PM

Has there been any word on what may take the retail space in this building? A decent restaurant would be great.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 12:12 PM

Great updates Templeguy!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Great updates Templeguy!
Thanks! I was at the spring football game last Saturday so it was a good time to snap some pictures.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:48 AM

This thing is starting to bring some much-needed height to North Broad!

Temple University '18 ']['

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive