HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 7:54 AM

[Halifax] Collaborative Health Education Building | ? m | 5 fl | Complete

Dalhousie has unveiled a conceptual plan for the empty lot beside the new LSRI on University & Summer St:

Quote:
Common ground for the health care professions
Iconic building would become a focal point for Carleton campus
Marilyn Smulders - June 28, 2011

A new building planned for Dalhousie’s Carleton campus aims to be common ground for students from the Faculties of Dentistry, Medicine and the Health Professions—a place where an aspiring nurse, social worker and dental hygienist could get together for coffee; where a future physician, occupational therapist and pharmacist could work on a simulated medical emergency; where a would-be coach, radiological technologist, dentist and cardiologist could meet and attend a lecture.

In so doing, the deans of those three faculties believe the building—and the focus it will bring to inter-professional learning—has the power to revolutionize health-care education at Dalhousie.

'Health care will be transformed'

“I have every confidence that with the changes we are making, health care will be transformed,” says Will Webster, Dean of the Faculty of Health Professions. “It’s occurring already. There are pockets of it out there in the health care system right now. It’s powerful and that’s where Dalhousie is leading.”

Revitalized health-care education is a key theme of Bold Ambitions, the campaign for Dalhousie.

According to plans, the “Inter-Professional Health Care Education” building, will be situated at the corner of University Avenue and Summer Street, replacing a parking lot. Once constructed, it will become a showcase for Dalhousie and a focal point for Carleton campus. Conceptual drawings show a light-filled, five-storey building that will be constructed to LEED standards. The architects for the project are Moriyama & Teshima Architects of Toronto in association with Barrie & Langille Architects of Halifax.

The design is unique for the university as it focuses on shared spaces and flexible learning environments: lounges, a learning commons and library, food court, fitness room, rooftop patio, event room, simulation centre and classrooms. It’s also interesting that the building is not meant to be a home for any one program or faculty, but a place “for students and faculty members in the health-related fields to come together naturally,” explains Tom Boran, Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry.

The state-of-the-art simulation centre is a significant feature of the building, says Tom Marrie, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine. “More and more we want real-world exercises where a team of students has to work together to solve a problem,” he says. In the simulation centre, “students of all stripes” attend to preprogrammed medical scenarios using sophisticated mannequins. The mannequin might be programmed to have suffered a cardiac arrest, for example, or colon cancer.

“Everyone knows what they have to do and they do it,” says Dr. Marrie, who adds the students are observed in action and there’s a review session afterwards to discuss what worked, what didn’t. “When it’s done well, you forget that you’re in a simulated environment.”

'Learn with, from and about each other'

“The idea is that students will learn with, from and about each other to enhance the quality of care they’ll provide once they graduate,” adds Dr. Webster.

Inter-professional learning is already happening at Dalhousie among the three faculties, notably with the Health Mentors program. Introduced last fall, the program links “health mentors,” adult volunteers experiencing a chronic illness, with an inter-professional student team.

Construction costs of the Inter-Professional Health Care Education building are estimated at $35 million, says Ken Burt, vice president finance and administration. The target date for completion is in 2013/14.

http://www.dal.ca/news/2011/06/28/co...ofessions.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 11:36 AM
Fizzix geek

not quite sure how a brick box with a bit of glass qualifies as "iconic"... unless they are referring to the fact that it will stand as an icon for all that is bland and horrible about brick boxes that we seem to accept as architecture in Halifax.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
not quite sure how a brick box with a bit of glass qualifies as "iconic"... unless they are referring to the fact that it will stand as an icon for all that is bland and horrible about brick boxes that we seem to accept as architecture in Halifax.
Looks like the Abbie Lane Hospital with a sun room added.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 12:02 PM

I thought this was suppose to be the site of a much larger building?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:31 PM

This project is the first phase of 3 or 4 phases for this site. The plan calls for two larger towers for this property, perhaps over top of this one or elsewhere.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 4:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

These promotional articles are almost comical. Dental hygienists getting together with social workers for coffee? State-of-the-art mannequins? Sign me up!

A 2013/2014 target implies that construction will have to start soon. I guess the entrance is to be off Summer Street? The University Avenue facade looks impenetrable and uninteresting for pedestrians. This is a very standard academic building with irregular windows, etc.

Mostly I like the fact that some more parking lots are being filled in. I think this area will increasingly blend in with the downtown as it is built up.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 4:40 PM
we built this city

I hope that Dal doesn't own the lot across from the LSRI and behind Sacred Heart. I want to see a 19/20 story apartment building on it!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 5:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

You mean this one? http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Univer...=12,154.9,,0,0

I always figured it was owned by the province but I am not sure.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 9:48 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac26 View Post
This project is the first phase of 3 or 4 phases for this site. The plan calls for two larger towers for this property, perhaps over top of this one or elsewhere.
It is labeled as phase 1, as you stated, in this document - http://campusplan.dal.ca/Files/Dalho...5209-14-10.pdf. It is described in section H3 which is page 23/46 of the pdf. A copied image is posted below (by the IBI Group)

Based on the Dalhousie University Masterplan (in the posted link), it appears to be a separate building. The future high-rise is directly adjacent to it.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jul 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 1:51 PM

The formal language used for the building doesn't look that iconic, nor does it convey anything about the intended social interconnection - this thing should look porous and inviting at street level, no matter where the "principal" entrance is.

From what I understand, the mixing of the different groups within the medical faculty reflects new directions in the pedagogy of the school, so I'm not so dubious. The state-of-the-art mannequins are not that cutting edge - a number of interdisciplinary health schools use similar simulation methods to train students to work as a team. The old model of medical students learning to think/work on their own is being replaced by one that tries to mimic the ideal of having your health professionals work as a team.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 6:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Coincidentally somebody has posted an aerial of this site:

Source

I think it would be a mistake to fully replace the brick building on University. The Tupper Building also has a pretty interesting lobby area.

Anybody remember the Forrest building when it was missing part of its tower? It looks so much nicer now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 1:02 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Dalhousie has unveiled a conceptual plan for the empty lot beside the new LSRI on University & Summer St:

Precast aggregate?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 1:49 PM

It reminds me a bit of the Dickson Center at the VGH - circa 1983 govt low-bid architecture.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 4:41 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

I think it would be a mistake to fully replace the brick building on University. The Tupper Building also has a pretty interesting lobby area.

Anybody remember the Forrest building when it was missing part of its tower? It looks so much nicer now.
I was referring to the lot you posted the google streetview of.

Also, I am very concerned about that brick building... I almost feel HT about it, lol. How/why would Dal get rid of a beautiful old building like that?

I want to see the tower, just built in behind the brick building.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 1:48 PM

I agree both the brick building and the lobby area of the Tupper building are fairly significant good pieces of architecture in this city and should not be destroyed.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:20 PM

I take it that you mean the pharmacy building. I agree, it should stay

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...MNLDsQKk3ODUDw

The Burbidge Building, formerly the Medical Science Building, is the oldest structure of the Dalhousie University campus. Designed by Andrew R. Cobb, it was built in 1922. Constructed mainly of tapestry bricks, granite and Wallace stones, it housed the faculties of Pharmacology, Physiology and Biochemistry. In 1970 the building received its present name in honor of George A. Burbidge, the first Dean of the Pharmacology Department. In 1978 a third floor was added, with more recent renovations done in 2001.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:27 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I take it that you mean the pharmacy building. I agree, it should stay

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...MNLDsQKk3ODUDw

The Burbidge Building, formerly the Medical Science Building, is the oldest structure of the Dalhousie University campus. Designed by Andrew R. Cobb, it was built in 1922. Constructed mainly of tapestry bricks, granite and Wallace stones, it housed the faculties of Pharmacology, Physiology and Biochemistry. In 1970 the building received its present name in honor of George A. Burbidge, the first Dean of the Pharmacology Department. In 1978 a third floor was added, with more recent renovations done in 2001.
Yes, that is the building. They have to be out of their minds if they demolish it.

I don't like how this tower appears to be attached to the Tupper building either. Why don't they just build the tower part on this proposal's corner, next to the LSRI... it would make much more sense.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 8:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Oldest? It doesn't look like the oldest, and if it's from 1922 it's not. The Forrest building is from the 1880s and many Studley campus buildings predate 1922. The Medjuck building on Spring Garden is also older.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 9:02 PM

The oldest building on the Dal campus is the Forrest Building (1887). It is the large brick building with the central tower, it faces east in the Carlton quad.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 10:23 PM
Honored Member

Just to take a contrary viewpoint; the Burbidge Pharmacy Building is a decent old building (Street View) and it would be good to save it. However, if the Tupper Building lobby area has to be torn down to build phases 2 and 3 then I wouldn't consider that to be a loss; that area is probably from the 1960's (about the same time as the Scotia Square Mall). At least the lobby area can be demolished, and maybe even the pharmacy building. But just make sure that it is replaced with something better.

In any case, the Sir Charles Tupper building high-rise is one of the most dominant buildings in the city and is the best piece of architecture on that block (in my opinion).

I am still wondering when Scotia Square will get its heritage designation (without a doubt, if it is still standing in another 40 - 50 years then there will be future residents trying to save it) .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth