HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 3:48 AM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcity1 View Post
Cool, cool, cool! Now this is great modern architecture. And the top floor where people can go to is at 1265 feet. I love the windows on the slanted windows at the top!
I know its a very old post, but is this guy right ? 1265 feet ?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 2:21 AM
BANNED

Aluminum, I highly recommend you shut up because

A. Your posts in this thread have been no less than embarassing to read.

B. You are probably going to get yourself suspended/banned

C. You are totally spamming this thread with like 50 posts for every one someone else posts...

Oh yeah, this building rocks, admit it. We would all (including Aluminum) love to see this in Chicago...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:17 AM
I love boxes.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Aluminum, I highly recommend you shut up because

A. Your posts in this thread have been no less than embarassing to read.

B. You are probably going to get yourself suspended/banned

C. You are totally spamming this thread with like 50 posts for every one someone else posts...

Oh yeah, this building rocks, admit it. We would all (including Aluminum) love to see this in Chicago...
Chicago ! CHICAGO !?

Ain't this building in New York ?

Last edited by Swede; Jun 6, 2007 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:21 AM
Coping with the Cosmos

This is my favourite design on the site.

I'm glad to see movement on it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:25 AM
low-riding

From all the renders it looks as though the color will shift and its not a shadow effect. and im sure i read it in one of the press releases but im having trouble finding it right now.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
I know its a very old post, but is this guy right ? 1265 feet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
The 1,265-foot building is to have 78 floors, 62 for offices, four trading floors and the rest for retail and mechanical space. The uppermost of the rooftop diamonds will be a tripod shaped antenna whose pinnacle is 1,350 feet above street level, just 18 feet shy of the Freedom Tower’s parapet.
First post usually has the information on height you are looking for aluminum.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 8:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
No, two skyscrapers can be combined to form a bigger one like in the Case of Big John in Chicago. As the height goes on increasing above certain value like 2500 feet the cost of construction starts accelerating up and up, the height increases a little bit but the cost doubles and triples. It is ridiculous of you to think of 10msf towers. If thats the case whole cities could've been combined to singe skyscrapers...
The parade of morons continues....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 8:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Getting back to this beautiful new tower...

wsj.com

projectrebirth.org

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 9:07 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Quote:
Ok, TalB.

This is a beautiful building. I love the antenna, I've never seen anything like that.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Chicago ! CHICAGO !?

Ain't this building in New York ?
Yes, that's what I said, Chicago, I, and just every other Chicago forumer, would feel fortunate to have this building built in Chicago... Read before responding, if you would have, you would know that I never said it is being built in Chicago, but that we would all love to steal this design from NY.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Yes, that's what I said, Chicago, I, and just every other Chicago forumer, would feel fortunate to have this building built in Chicago... Read before responding, if you would have, you would know that I never said it is being built in Chicago, but that we would all love to steal this design from NY.
Yeah, I'd love to see something like this in Chicago...
Hope something like this gets approval in Chicago in near future...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 7:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Fun with Freedom and tower 2...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

This model gives an idea of how different the new WTC will be from the old...the Freedom Tower stands apart from the others...

worldarchitecturenews.com

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 2:57 PM

Yep, I believe that tne new comples, though overall less unified, looks more sensible on the skyline, without blatantly disregarding any highrise precedent in Downtown like the Twin Towers did.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 10:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Yep, I believe that tne new comples, though overall less unified, looks more sensible on the skyline, without blatantly disregarding any highrise precedent in Downtown like the Twin Towers did.
And you can't say enough about having actual streets go through it...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to see something like this in Chicago...
Hope something like this gets approval in Chicago in near future...
The need for office space in Chicago does not exist. The problem in Chicago does not lie in the approval area, it lies in the demand department.

The design of the new WTC is exceptional and it must be based on the special circumstances that made us want to rebuild there. Hope that these exceptional designs become new standards for building new office space so that not only do more of these get built, but also that the new WTC does not become a primary target all over again.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 10:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcity1 View Post
The need for office space in Chicago does not exist. The problem in Chicago does not lie in the approval area, it lies in the demand department.

The design of the new WTC is exceptional and it must be based on the special circumstances that made us want to rebuild there. Hope that these exceptional designs become new standards for building new office space so that not only do more of these get built, but also that the new WTC does not become a primary target all over again.
The WTC is a target regardless. It just joins the ranks of other targets in New York and everywhere else. There's no way you can make something not a target.

As far as Chicago office space, I'm sure there'll be demand for more.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The WTC is a target regardless. It just joins the ranks of other targets in New York and everywhere else. There's no way you can make something not a target.
Well, the developers of this land have succeeded at making their residential complex not a terrorist target:

That is, if Bush doesn't add hurricanes to the list of terrorists next year.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 5:14 PM
Tribune in all her glory.

This building is so beautiful!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

As far as Chicago office space, I'm sure there'll be demand for more.
There is certainly demand in Chicago for something like this, were new construction to be concentrated into fewer buildings - but it's not. Currently there is the ~60 story and ~900 foot 300 N. LaSalle and 353 N. Clark under construction (among others I'm forgetting I'm sure), and there's the proposed 200 N. Riverside (50 story building) that should start soon. In recent years there's been Hyatt Center, the new UBS building, 191 N. Wacker, 111 S. Wacker, Dearborn Center (it's named for Citadel now I think) and that other building across the street to the east of the Chase (formerly Bank One) building. The Blue Cross building is also expanding and adding 30 floors or so.

So there have been in the last 4 years or UC/proposed currently at least a dozen or so office towers in the 40-50 story range, which is more than any city outside NYC. If these had been combined with one another, there could have been 4 or 5 towers in the 80-100 story range. But it doesn't work that way, because there are different developers trying to get a piece of the action, more developable plots, and different land values which create a lower "optimal height" for maximizing profit.

The buildings in Chicago seem to naturally gravitate toward ~650 to ~750 feet in height, because that's how developers make the most money. In New York, it seems to be 100 - 150 feet higher than that. There's also the factor of the importance of this site and pressure from the city and public for something truly spectacular to replace the twin towers, which leads to higher buildings still. If this was just any plot of open land in the city, these buildings would be a bit shorter, albeit still very tall, like the NY Times buildings, Bloomberg tower, or the Hearst Building (I conciously left out the BOA building because BOA is a massive company that has a tendency to like to have one of the tallest buildings in the city wherever it is, but this isn't necessarily something that would repeat itself again and again... even JPM and Goldman Sachs aren't proposing towers that tall... BOA has a bit of a chip on its shoulder in many ways, being based in Charlotte and all).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction