HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 4:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

The bit about the Falstaff sign is totally cool. That's the kind of stuff just makes me happy on a cold wintry day.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
A store on Harrisson in Lakeview would be great though!
Yes it would! Harrison is really coming along these days. A Snap Fitness is about to open next to St. Dominic. The open lot next to Starbucks has a Sale Pending sign and they are finally building on the corner of Argonne. I've heard thats going to be a Mexican restaruant but never seen that substantiated.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 7:03 PM
-

Yeah I lost out on buying that empty parcel on Harrison. Its a great piece, pissed I didnt get it! But yeah the street is great and will only get better. Manages to be car and pedestrian friendly at the same time. The school at the end by City Park is going to be enormous, too!!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The bit about the Falstaff sign is totally cool. That's the kind of stuff just makes me happy on a cold wintry day.
Tulane Avenue is really becoming a nexus for this sort of thing.

Recently, the Domain Cos. ripped down a former hot sauce factory for a new apartment complex. However, they built a replica of the neon sign that the hot sauce company had on the roof:

Also, as part of the new VA hospital, the Dixie Brewery will have a facadectomy, which includes tuckpointing the old bricks and restoring the neon sign on the tower's mansard roof.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 2:31 AM

Landrieu administration agrees to buy out World Trade Center organization's lease on landmark building

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...on_agrees.html

Sounds promising. I wouldn't be opposed to tearing it down but only if something awesome was for sure going to be built.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 5:36 AM
TL;DR

I used to be in favor of preserving the WTC, since it is a pretty unique and interesting building. Now I just want the site cleared. Edward Durell Stone can't get any respect, but maybe that's because his buildings are in such boneheaded locations. I'd love it if they left it as open space, creating a great park, the 21st century's Jackson Square. They'd have to deck over the railroad or something, but it would be worth it.

They could pay for it by building a large tower at the end of Poydras, similar to how the Board of Trade caps LaSalle St in Chicago, or how the PanAm Building caps Park Avenue in NY.

While they're at it, clear the damn bars and kiosks out of Spanish Plaza. It's a public space - there are already enough places to drink in New Orleans. I suppose a pair of well-designed concessions might work, though.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 3:52 PM

So what falls first: WTC, Iberville, or I-10?

I say there is no hope for the WTC. It would be neat to redo, but there is no demand to warrant the expense. Also, if it is taken down it increases the chances of something working for the Plaza tower. I wouldn't mind if nothing huge replaces it either. I want that area to be more about the river than skyscrapers, that development has a place more inland in the CBD. An iconic park would be nice.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 5:55 PM

My guess is that the Iberville will be the first of those three.Seeing how there is funding and a public and private push for it to be redeveloped, i guess it will be coming down in 2012.The WTC will more than likely stay and be used as is.I don't think the city has the money for it to be torn down and turned into anything public.The I-10 has two years of planning/study before anything will happen.From doing speculative research i am willing to bet that it will happen,especially once the new hospitals get closer to being finished.The language and rhetoric from officials is that they know it will happen but they can't publicly let on until the funding is approved as well as the official study backing it is done.It may come down around 2015.I think you will see streetcars on N Rampart a year after the Iberville is done and 2 years before N Claiborne gets a major facelift.I wish all this could happen before the superbowl but i think the city will be looking pretty good by the time it comes to town.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 6:03 PM

I see the Iberville coming down first with the WTC likely staying put. I can't see any state engineer in his right mind signing off on the I-10 coming down unless it's going to be replaced, or he's getting something out of the deal, and if it does come down it more than likely goes from being state funded to city funded.

I could be wrong though.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:57 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Anyway, everyone on here should take a minute or two to send in a email to the councilmember and possibly CC it to other councilmembers especially the two at large seats.
Just a reminder, the City Council will vote on the 20th on whether to approve Kailas' 1031 Canal. That's only a week away.

It's Kristin Palmer's district, so she can influence the way the rest of the Council votes. Remember to email her, if you haven't already - or even if you have, email again. It can't hurt. Neither can emailing the other councilmembers.

kgpalmer@nola.gov

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 3:06 PM

Just a side note on Krystal Preserves

Since I know the wonderful people at A-1 Signs....I just have to throw out there that they were the ones who built the new Crystal Preserves sign from scratch. You would never know that it is a brand new sign and not the original.

Check out their site. They've done some pretty cool stuff:

http://www.a-1signsinc.com/

Last edited by IceCream; Jan 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM. Reason: Attach a link

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Just a reminder, the City Council will vote on the 20th on whether to approve Kailas' 1201 Canal. That's only a week away.

It's Kristin Palmer's district, so she can influence the way the rest of the Council votes. Remember to email her, if you haven't already - or even if you have, email again. It can't hurt. Neither can emailing the other councilmembers.

kgpalmer@nola.gov
Its actually 1031 canal. I saw that the website had taken out an add on nola.com today. Can also go to their website http://1031canal.com/ to email the mayor and councilmembers.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 11:22 PM

Woodward Design+Build Headquarters

This much needed facility is under way! As Woodward Design+Build has continued to grow, a new headquarters has become a necessity. The site of the facility is that of the former Goodwill Industries Building Building on the corner of South Jefferson Davis Parkway and Euphrosene Street. The Goodwill Building was demolished and construction is underway.

http://www.woodwarddesignbuild.com/p...-headquarters/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 4:23 AM

This looks like a great building! Good to see a local company doing well.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:15 PM

anyword or status of Tracage???

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:39 PM

I've pretty much assumed that Tracage (and Trump for that matter) have unfortunately been dead for a while...they just announced it yet. Hopefully I am wrong!

Last edited by N.O.L.A.; Jan 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
I've pretty much assumed that Tracage (and Trump for that matter) have unfortunately been dead for a while...they just announced it yet. Hopefully I am wrong!
The projects may not be dead, but they are certainly dead in their current iterations. If when something gets built im sure it will go through a redesign!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 11:25 PM
TL;DR

Too bad. Tracage would have been the most attractive highrise in the city, bar none.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Too bad. Tracage would have been the most attractive highrise in the city, bar none.

If it wasnt for the lawsuit from that lawyer at Lengsfield Lofts this one would have been built. Once the lawsuit settled the national economy crashed.

New Listings on Bidclerk

1458597 New Orleans, LA Medical 01/14/2011
Description Renovation of a medical facility in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of a 237,500-square-foot medical office which will include office space and exam rooms. The owner has determined a list of select general contract.

1198608 New Orleans, LA Office, Restaurant, Retail, Other, Theaters / Auditoriu 01/13/2011

Site work and new construction of a commercial mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of three separate buildings that will total 83,000 square feet and include retail suites, two restaurants, a coffee

1401861 New Orleans, LA Elderly Care / Assisted Living, Multi-Residential, Reta 01/13/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a 125-unit housing development for senior citizens built over retail space with a grocery anchor. This project is curr

1056719 New Orleans, LA Educational, Medical 01/13/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a medical facility in New Orleans. Working plans call for the construction of a teaching hospital that will include health care facilities, offices, meeting rooms and associated parking. Construction is anticipat.

On a side note, 823 Julia street now has a sign up saying only two units left in the building... Clear evidence of how a grocery store completely changes the dynamics of a neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 7:38 AM

I know this is a minor thing...but saw that the Hyatt sign is now lit up. Noticed it while grabbing dinner at Grand Isle tonight. It's the first time I've seen the sign lit up since 8/28/05.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations