HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:03 PM

In some respects having this parcel of land jammed between Route 90 and the cul de sacs of South Tuxedo didn't do much for the prospects of extending the grid... it would be its own little island no matter what.

I didn't expect a whole lot with this plan and that's basically what we got here. "It's adequate" is probably the most generous praise that can be given here. It could have been worse.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
It's definitely no Marda Loop.
Marda loop is probably more uninspiring

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Marda loop is probably more uninspiring
Marda Loop/Garrison Woods is one of the most unique areas of Calgary. I love what they did with the old barracks.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I wish they had just extended the street grid from river heights. Added a high street and be done with it. Its not rocket science. This will be an island of suburban style development.
100% – Mathers already comes to Kenaston, so just put in a light and extend it west to Morpeth (which gets extended north to Grant). Do the same with John Brebeuf. If you look at Google Maps, there's already roads like Kapyong and Gault in there. Use those and just extend them all in a grid.*

It's also weird that the mixed use "village" is oriented to Grant, a high-speed street that will also be getting an RT line soon (direct RT access is a nice benefit). Use the grid scheme and orient the mixed use internally a bit to make a nice, quiet, walkable shopping street. Say like mixed use running N-S on Kapyong. Or 2 smaller mixed use nodes running E-W on John Brebeuf and Mathers.

*of course can change some of these names to reflect Indigenous culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoots82 View Post
agreed. this plan is a let down. there was the opportunity to really integrate water into the planning as a recreation amenity and to connect the whole site rather than the token "naturalized" ponds. the city im sure would have put up a fight on that but this is just a boring plan.
Also annoys me that instead of enhancing and extending Joe Malone Park to Taylor, they're gonna block it off with a gas station and build more new "greenspace" all over.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ is there precedent for leased land mortgages that are not on government land?

It would definitely make me nervous. If I’m spending half a million dollars on a house, and one included the land and one didn’t, it would probably affect my choice. Will it appreciate in value the same way a house that includes land will? As the lease length counts down, wouldn’t that have detrimental effect on value? Again, a contract with the government offers some stability, but a private entity?
My brother owned a cottage on reserve land up north. When he signed the papers it came with a 99 or 100 year lease. He's moved away from that part of the province so he sold the cottage. New owners get a 100 year lease. No hassles with the banks. It helps to think of it in terms of who you're paying your "property taxes" to, and the whole reason for reserves wanting urban land. It's also why I'm a little underwhelmed by the plan as there appears to be way more residential reserve land than commercial in this plan. Commercial tends to have higher lease/tax rates than residential.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 2:39 PM
surely you agree with me

Interesting thank you.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 2:39 PM

If I’m reading this correctly 1/3 of the land is owned by Canada Lands and the residential (for the most part) will be developed by them I don’t think what’s owned by Canada Lands will fall under the urban reserve.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Marda Loop/Garrison Woods is one of the most unique areas of Calgary. I love what they did with the old barracks.
I lived in that neighbourhood for a while, I know it well. The surrounding area off 33rd with the older homes is nice. Marda loop itself is nothing special and nothing really any different from this plan tbh and if anything marda loop itself is more cookie cutter than what I’ve seen from this plan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 12:14 AM

Maybe a bit late in the day to suggest this,but wouldn't this site be perfect for the much-desired water park/wave pool for the city?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Maybe a bit late in the day to suggest this,but wouldn't this site be perfect for the much-desired water park/wave pool for the city?
I always love when this is brought up, who is going to pay for that? If it was remotely profitable we would have one already.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 2:04 AM

The water park thing reminds me of Sim City.

100,000 population means water park is unlocked! But it'll cost you every penny you have and your town will go bankrupt.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:23 AM

Sure it's a cliche and maybe the Wisconsin Dells type waterpark idea is unrealistic, but it is a little sad that places like Portage and Steinbach have nicer and bigger waterparks than Winnipeg does.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:56 AM
Source?

A waterpark in a pandemic world would be a pretty tough sell.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sure it's a cliche and maybe the Wisconsin Dells type waterpark idea is unrealistic, but it is a little sad that places like Portage and Steinbach have nicer and bigger waterparks than Winnipeg does.
Yes, I guess the term "waterpark" suggests something huge and tacky, but even a wave pool as part of a public rec centre would probably be a good city amenity, no?

....and pandemics don't last forever (they just feel that way).

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Yes, I guess the term "waterpark" suggests something huge and tacky, but even a wave pool as part of a public rec centre would probably be a good city amenity, no?

....and pandemics don't last forever (they just feel that way).
Yes, at some point soon the pandemic will soon pass and life will go on. We can't stop planning and doing everything because pandemic.

And yeah, a "waterpark" doesn't have to be some kind of showstopping West Edmonton Mall like attraction, although those are nice too. We're just talking local recreational facilities. Basically a municipal pool that offers some more amenities. Having a few around town would be a huge improvement.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yes, at some point soon the pandemic will soon pass and life will go on. We can't stop planning and doing everything because pandemic.

And yeah, a "waterpark" doesn't have to be some kind of showstopping West Edmonton Mall like attraction, although those are nice too. We're just talking local recreational facilities. Basically a municipal pool that offers some more amenities. Having a few around town would be a huge improvement.
I am still not convinced an indoor water-park would work in Winnipeg. IN the mid 1980s, they tried this in the Waverley Heights Shopping Centre. It closed after two years. Last time I checked it was a Source for Sports.

There was also Skinner's Wet n' Wild, which opened around the same time. It went out of business 15 years ago, and set abandoned until a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
My thoughts exactly. Good plan except it seems like 1/3 of the space is commercial. For an area sandwiched by seasons of tuxedo/kenaston and polo park in an age of reduce brick and mortar retail, it seems a bit heavy.

I guess zoning could always be modified as demand presents itself.
Taking a guess but the commercial areas will likely feature a lot of indigenous focused businesses in sectors with high value add taxes like petroleum, tobacco, cannabis and alcohol (should that become available). I would also expect some sort of hotel to house out of town members from the bands participating in the development that would include a bar/lounge with a sizable VLT installation. Not trying to be racist or stereotype this culture, the reality is those are the exact pieces that are already generating revenue for them in Winnipeg and doing "one more" isn't going to have the same competitive impact as say trying to open a new enclosed shopping mall. Judging by the amount of traffic the treaty PetroCan on St Matthews gets a large gas station on an otherwise busy corner would be a significant pull for the area and bring in a steady revenue source. Hopefully they develop it with a plan to convert it to electric vehicle charging down the line.

The one I hope gets included in the development is a high profile and higher quality food retailer focused on indigenous foods. Picture something similar to Denardi but along the lines of what Neeche Commons tried to establish in terms of products/offerings. Also having a butcher that say offerings traditional meats like bison and elk which are commercially produced would get attention beyond just the indigenous community as people travel to Friggs to get that now. They could even potentially spin that into a farm to table model using their lands outside the city to commercially produce the livestock and employee people in those communities, then have a processing facility they own and eventually sell the end product at a store their own and serve it in a restaurant their own.

I also like the idea of them developing an indoor space to hold events. The round house model shown in the pictures makes cultural sense. I hope they engage some skilled designers to work with them on the space though so that it keeps the round house model but is designed in a way to be efficiently a mixed use facility with sports activities that are more based around a rectangle (basketball, volleyball, rack sports, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Has the land been put aside for the Kenaston widening?
In terms of the possible widening of Kenaston, as the land is (or will be) status land the City of Winnipeg would need to negotiate a deal for this that would likely need to include land of equal value and equal or greater size being given in trade for space the widen Kenaston, ie something similar to the Parker Lands site. For that reason alone it means that land needed to widen Kenaston from just north of grant to the underpass is almost exclusively going to come from the east side. And if you are savvy you will not the east side if heavily developed with midrise buildings close to the street, aka that kind that are unlikely to be expropriated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
The issue that will arise is that a leased land mortgage is less of an investment than Canadians view real estate as, it is likely to not gain a whole lot in value. They might have more value as rental properties.

I guess I expected a lot more "mid-density" housing.

I think this plan is firmly rooted in the pre-Covid world and could really be this region's first example of a big development post-Covid. There will be no need for all of the retail space aside from basics fuel, food, grocery IMO.
Considering there are already cases with in Canada with lease land is reclaimed by the band I expect the residential component will heavily focus on urban homes for band members and low to mid rise apartment rentals. If you are on a one year lease the overall ownership of the property is less of a concern for you than if you are building a new single family home.

In terms of the development, I don't think it will be affected much by the pandemic either way. Most of the commercial space was also going to be focus on indigenous owned businesses in sectors with high value added taxes or ones that basically sell services to on reserve members when they need to come to Winnipeg for medical and other appointments (ie hotels and food services). Those are the exact same sectors that are not being too negatively impacted by the pandemic and are actually showing some gains when the customer is from an indigenous community. Specifically the hotel/food services has seen some of the best business in the pandemic from people in the indigenous community as they take over entire properties to setup isolation camps for their people that need to travel to/through Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:09 PM

I seem to remember in one of the big announcements, the development team said they're happy and willing to work with the city to parcel off whatever the required land needs are to do the Kenaston widening. They acknowledged it benefits their development if traffic in the area is improved, as it cannot handle what's already there without new stuff.

--

I have a friend who's family has owned a cabin near LOTW for 20 years. They own the cabin and land, but the road to get there is private and on reserve land – all the cabin owners pay a fee to keep the road maintained. They put the cabin up for sale last year, but not sold yet.

When COVID hit and the reserve closed, access to the road was closed off, and remained closed all summer. A few months ago the reserve informed them they may not open up access to the road again, ever. So now their cabin (that is for sale) is boat access only for the foreseeable future, or forever.

Of note, they all already paid their road fees for the year, and the feds are paying the reserve to stay closed..

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:49 PM

In early maps they showed an allowance for Kenaston Widening. The City would buy the land off them like any other land owner.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:16 PM

Seeing these plans for the area it’s quite alarming. It’s already busy on a daily basis. I think residents should be pushing for a few interchanges in the widening of kenaston plan. Grant and Corydon especially.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan