HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 10:25 PM

Hip Neighborhoods in the Midwest

What are the hippest neighborhoods in the midwest? Which ones are going to be hip, and which ones do most people think are hip, but they're opinion that it's hip, is actually the sign that it probably isn't anymore?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 10:36 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I must say I'm glad the Midwest doesn't have that many "hip" neighborhoods, compared to the coastal areas.

Granted, most of the headquarters of "hip design" are in the Midwest (particularly, Ohio and Illinois) but we know better...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 11:04 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

The Third Ward and the Lower East Side, from about North Avenue Kilbourn East of the river, especially along Brady, Farwell and Prospect.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 11:26 PM
oui.

hip areas of kansas city, missouri:

(1) the crossroads - area south of downtown of old warehouses, light industrial businesses, parking lots, etc. there are over 40 art galleries, loads of creative businesses (printshops, architecture firms, ad firms), a dozen or so restaurants and bars, hundreds of lofts, etc. - BUT, given the fact it's such a large area and b/c there is still a rather gritty, industrial feel to the place it has retained a vibe of "authenticity." Crossroads activists argue that this will be destroyed with a brand new 18-story condo tower being built soon, but i think the Crossroads will be legitimately cool for at least another decade - especially the gritty/desolate east side of the neighborhood.

(2) Westside - originally a Swedish neighborhood, Westside has been a hispanic enclave for decades. it consists of some of the oldest housing stock in kansas city - lots of victorians and the like. however, due to its affordability and proximity (a few blocks) to the Crossroads, it has become attractive to artists and creative people - much to the chagrin of the hispanic community. a huge wave of gentrification is underway as $1M+ homes are being built and some $300K+ condos have been completed but, like the Xroads, i really don't think Westside will ever become a cuddly neighborhood. it's mostly residential, sporting a school, several mexican/latin american eateries and stores, and (thanks to the westward creep of the Crossroads) an upscale organic/sustainable restaurant, a funky but still upscale restaurant/bar (Lille's), a couple of galleries, a chic salon, bakery, etc.

(3) Volker/W. 39th - not a cutting-edge "hip" neighborhood like the above two, but a solid and pretty diverse neighborhood consisting of families, hipsters, medical students (KU Med anchors the neighborhood), and everyone in between. W. 39th between Southwest Trafficway and State Line is the retail/dining spine of the neighborhood and the street is often called Restaurant Row due to the dense mishmash of restaurants on the street. there is everything from cheap international fare (ethiopian, thai, taiwanese, vietnamese), dive bars (Gilhouly's, Cooper's), chic cuisine (Thomas, Circe) and classic KC institutions (D'Bronx, Macaluso's, Fric + Frac). the neighborhood has a funky edge, with a couple of record shops, edgy coffeeshop, pagan store, used bookstores, etc. but in the last few years it has gained a Starbucks and Chipotle. since i believe the chains are coming in due to the lunch/coffee crowd from KU Med, the neighborhood should remain pretty cool for a while. rents and home prices are pretty erratic.

(3) Warwick/KCAI area - this is technically Hyde Park, but the area near the museums and the Kansas City Art Institute definitely has a flavor all its own. many art students live there as well as UMKC students, giving the neighborhood a youthful, fun vibe. (art school parties = awesome). nearby Gillham Park is locus of family gatherings as well as anarchist soccer . the area is also pretty gritty and has a fair amount of crime, adding to its edginess, but it's a cool place.

on the horizon: i see several areas of KC getting more and more hip (often due to rising housing costs in the aforementioned areas). one is the Rosedale area of Kansas City, KS, which is basically south and west of the KU Med area, but the state line has always kept people on the MO side. not anymore! also, Old Northeast (recently documented in City Photos by Tosspot) is an up and coming area that is still really iffy (even by SSP forumer standards) but pockets of it are really turning around, particularly the historic areas of Pendleton Heights and Scarritt.

i just typed a lot.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 12:23 AM
We Are Killer Nuts!

I think the terms "Midwest" and "hip" are mutually exclusive, unless you mean "fattest hips," in which the Midwest is very successful.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 12:37 AM
Go Twins!

Uptown in south Minneapolis.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 1:25 AM

For Dayton, its not a neighborhood but a nearby college town, Yellow Springs. Insufferable, but they have nice handcrafted jewlery.

For the city, some ill-publicized art opening at Front Street is ground zero for Gem City cool, if you can say an industrial district is a neighborhood. (no one lives there) and anything in Dayton is cool (Dayton is too pragmatic to be hip).

People in Dayton think the Oregon is hip, but its just a place to hear music, and pretty much unhip given some of the crowd there (too many drunk chicks).

Columbus, Short North.

Cincinnati,er, Clifton? Or maybe Northside now?

Cleveland..hmm....

Toledo? uh...

Indianapolis, probably Broad Ripple but I think some of those close in areas are getting hipper (that northeast diagonal).

Chicago..lol..the whole city? Perhaps inner Pilsen, along Halstead. Perhaps Ukranian Village.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 1:35 AM
not cleavefied

cleveland: mansfield.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 2:35 AM

btw, I mean, "their."... damn, smoking too much of this shit..

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 2:49 AM
devout Pizzatarian

i've never seen any hip places in the midwest.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 3:02 AM
JUNCTA JUVANT

Cincinnati: I would say Oakley, Clifton, Hyde Park, and Northside.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 2:25 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

There is a difference between "hip" and "hipster" IMO.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 3:34 PM

In Columbus it's the Short North and surrounding nabes. Easton/New Albany/Polaris think their the hip neighborhoods... but we all know better... don't we?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 7:53 PM

I'd have to disagree with you chrizow, and say that the West Bottoms is the most hip area in KC.

Its definitely "edgier" than the Crossroads and has better galleries (IMO) and more artists residing. It reminds me a bit of a less developed Williamsburg.

I went to a party once where there was a half pipe built in the loft. (also a nationaly touring band playing). I thought that was pretty hip.

I think as more artists get squeezed out of the Crossroads, the West Bottoms will continue to grow.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 7:56 PM
oui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JivecitySTL View Post
There is a difference between "hip" and "hipster" IMO.
absolutely. the 'hoods i cited for KC are more of the uber-hip, hipster variety.

if "hip" means "popular area where yuppies and suburbanites flock" then i'd have to say the Plaza area and Westport on weekend evenings. all the cool kids in KC know to avoid those places. we prefer our bars and eateries betwixt bodegas and machine shops, not Pizzeria Uno and Banana Republic.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 8:51 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Cleveland: Ohio City and Tremont
Columbus: Short North, Victorian Village and Italian Village
Dayton: Oregon District
Cincinnati: Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, Northside, possibly Clifton?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 10:53 PM
oui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCtoBrooklyn View Post
I'd have to disagree with you chrizow, and say that the West Bottoms is the most hip area in KC.

Its definitely "edgier" than the Crossroads and has better galleries (IMO) and more artists residing. It reminds me a bit of a less developed Williamsburg.

I went to a party once where there was a half pipe built in the loft. (also a nationaly touring band playing). I thought that was pretty hip.

I think as more artists get squeezed out of the Crossroads, the West Bottoms will continue to grow.
absolutely! i can't believe i forgot that. there are a ton of artists down there. i too have been to shows in that place with the half-pipe, as well as the Pistol Social Club. the West Bottoms right now is like what the Crossroads were 8-10 years ago. the east crossroads are still like that (e.g. seeing Xiu Xiu at the Black Door!)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Ugly

Ferndale, Royal Oak, Midtown AND Downtown D, Ann Arbor in general, Downtown Grand Rapids is getting very very hip, Old town Lansing has a long way to go but I think that area is on the up and up.

My opinion of course.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 12:00 AM
not cleavefied

if someone needs to ask if they are hip, chances are they probably aren't

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope View Post
if someone needs to ask if they are hip, chances are they probably aren't
I was shot down by the Pope. DAAAAMN!!!!! Oh NO HE DIDNT!! HELL NAW!!! HELLL NAW!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest