HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Nor Do I! Montreal on the other hand...
Montreal has it in spades for francophones.

Montreal also has some pedigree on the anglophone side as well. Decent when you consider the size of its anglo population.

Last edited by Acajack; May 21, 2020 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:32 PM

Even though we've discussed that it isn't even the right word, I feel like Toronto has always had some "pedigree" in the music community. Back in the day it was pretty big in the underground music scene. Per capita, it produces a lot of star power, but it's more recently that the city itself has become enough to keep that talent from completely uprooting to LA. I doubt there's a lot of Drake fans on here (I wouldn't consider myself one either), but he's proof of concept when you can make a song about "The 6ix" with a billion plays on Spotify. I respect the guy for sticking around and showing you can be successful while being based out of your hometown/country.

If we're going off of what I think the original post was aiming for (cities with high cultural recognition), I like the smaller cities that have that global renown for one reason or another. For some reason, a bunch of the ones that immediately come to mind for me are places that went through turmoil. A lot of that perception of cultural pedigree for us probably comes from Hollywood, and I'm thinking of a movie scene where a writer can use a place of origin to give the viewer an immediate perception of that character. Like I was watching that Sicario movie the other day, and Del Toro's character is described as being from Cartagena or Medellin, and you're immediately picturing a hardened cartel thug, which is exactly what he's revealed to be. Another would be like the stereotypical South African mercenary from Johannesburg.

Other places that come to mind like that are Belfast, Juarez, maybe something former Yugoslavian like Sarajevo? Places that Hollywood uses to source their endless antagonists, and as a result, ones that probably instantly give us a perception of a tough, rough around the edges character. A place that gives your villain more pedigree than someone with a thick Minnesotan accent for example.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:04 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal has it in spades for francophones.

Montreal also has some pedigree on the anglophone side as well. Decent when you consider the size of its anglo population.
Montreal (not Iowa) gave us James T. Kirk, destroyer of gorn and...the first Canadian in spaaaaaaaaace!

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
In San Antonio’s case, I would think that having one of the largest military installations on earth would count as "pedigree", at least in military circles and compared to things like blues music or hot dogs. The same could be said about Biotech.

I suppose pedigree is in the eye of the beholder or most often has to do with things like academics (well know universities and the like).
I fixed that for you. San Antonio has a larger military presence per capita and a larger biotech industry per capita than San Diego.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post

You forgot one horrible ingredient, which is of course, le BM Onctueux

lounglizard

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
You forgot one horrible ingredient, which is of course, le BM Onctueux

lounglizard
Dammit I knew I forgot one ingredient! Mulroney is the most smarmy man on Earth, he should be the manager at a Kelseys and not a TV personality! Throw in Clockzilla for good measure!

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I think it would be more handy to think about places that, to use that hated expression, "punch above their weight" in terms of pedigree.

Like New Orleans (looms large despite relatively middling, shrinking population). And Chicago. Buenos Aires. Berlin. Barcelona.

New York is of course oversized in both population and pedigree. As is Paris, London, Tokyo, Istanbul.

Places lacking include those gigantic teeming cities in much of the developing world. Lagos, Kinshasa, etc.

In Canada, I would tip my extremely biased hat towards Montreal. Toronto just isn't there yet, despite the pea-meal bacon sandwich

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
I think it would be more handy to think about places that, to use that hated expression, "punch above their weight" in terms of pedigree.

Like New Orleans (looms large despite relatively middling, shrinking population). And Chicago. Buenos Aires. Berlin. Barcelona.

New York is of course oversized in both population and pedigree. As is Paris, London, Tokyo, Istanbul.

Places lacking include those gigantic teeming cities in much of the developing world. Lagos, Kinshasa, etc.

In Canada, I would tip my extremely biased hat towards Montreal. Toronto just isn't there yet, despite the pea-meal bacon sandwich
I literally just had a takeout peameal bacon sandwich for dinner

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

(metropolitan) Toronto gave us Rush. Toronto for the win.

And whichever Canadian city(ies) gave us Nickleback and Justin Bieber, fuck those places....

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say New York is "oversized"? I think it's more appropriate to call it the standard bearer.

I also don't think Chicago, BsAs, or Berlin really punch above their weight. Chicago and BsAs feel about right in my mind. And I would argue that Berlin is an underachiever for a European capital. But 100% agree that New Orleans is an overachiever.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say New York is "oversized"? I think it's more appropriate to call it the standard bearer.

I also don't think Chicago, BsAs, or Berlin really punch above their weight. Chicago and BsAs feel about right in my mind. And I would argue that Berlin is an underachiever for a European capital. But 100% agree that New Orleans is an overachiever.
oversized in the best possible way. Probably peerless in North America.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:41 PM

Berlin is kinda an underachiever within Germany and an overachiever everywhere else.

Within (Western) Germany, Berlin is seen as poor and undesirable, and kinda on the frontier; practically Poland. Also considered very unrepresentative of German norms and values.

Outside Germany, Berlin is considered the trendy, progressive face of the nation.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Probably peerless in North America.
Totally subjective of course, but for me, that would be Mexico City. I'm more fascinated with it and its history more so than NYC.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Berlin is kinda an underachiever within Germany and an overachiever everywhere else.

Within (Western) Germany, Berlin is seen as poor and undesirable, and kinda on the frontier; practically Poland. Also considered very unrepresentative of German norms and values.

Outside Germany, Berlin is considered the trendy, progressive face of the nation.
Perhaps I grew up in the 80's (Cold War) but I still have a dated view of Berlin. I envision it as well worn, depressed but eclectic and in stark contrast to the flashy more modern but sterile Frankfurt.

I was supposed to be in Cologne/ Bonn this weekend. Thanks coronavirus!

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 6:12 PM

Berlin is one of the biggest tech hubs in Europe (and the world). In terms of tech in Europe, it's in the same league of London and Paris.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Berlin is one of the biggest tech hubs in Europe (and the world). In terms of tech in Europe, it's in the same league of London and Paris.
True, it's quite strong in tech. But Berlin, overall, is an economic laggard compared to the other major German cities, and not viewed internally like a London or Paris, at all.

There are also historical differences. It's relatively young city, historically almost all Lutheran, strong Polish influence, obviously obliterated during war and divided afterwards. It doesn't really feel German, at least most people's conception of German, which is probably some mix of Rhineland and Bavarian norms.

It also feels a bit frontier-ish, because the vast majority of German population and GDP is in the western part of the former West Germany, close to Netherlands and France, very far from Berlin, and separated by kinda empty (for German standards) geography. It would be like if London were somewhere north of Inverness.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 7:10 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not known for being a Toronto booster or even a rah-rah-rah Canadian, but I think the CN Tower looks pretty good in the skyline and from various vantage points in Toronto and area.

Back to my usual self... on a broader level I don't think Toronto has much pedigree (in the sense that were are discussing it here) - if any even.
Stop pussy footing around, just come out of the closet and embrace your full hatred of Canada's biggest city, you'll feel better that way instead of holding back all the time.

Toronto has just as much pedigree for English Canada as Montreal does for French Canada. Just as many honoured and respected places, names, institutions -- whatever things are being used to describe "pedigree" in this thread.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
True, it's quite strong in tech. But Berlin, overall, is an economic laggard compared to the other major German cities, and not viewed internally like a London or Paris, at all.

There are also historical differences. It's relatively young city, historically almost all Lutheran, strong Polish influence, obviously obliterated during war and divided afterwards. It doesn't really feel German, at least most people's conception of German, which is probably some mix of Rhineland and Bavarian norms.

It also feels a bit frontier-ish, because the vast majority of German population and GDP is in the western part of the former West Germany, close to Netherlands and France, very far from Berlin, and separated by kinda empty (for German standards) geography. It would be like if London were somewhere north of Inverness.
I visited Germany on my last vacation: Frankfurt, München, Berlin, Hamburg and Köln.

Liked everyone of them, but I guess Berlin is definitely the more international, specially regarding nightlife. And there's this energy going on, a place where things seem to be happening.

-----------------------

The thread was a bit vague. It seems most of cities might qualify on pedigree.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 7:55 PM
BANNED

From this New Yorker's perspective (based on things I've read, seen and heard), Berlin far and away is the German city of greatest interest to me.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Stop pussy footing around, just come out of the closet and embrace your full hatred of Canada's biggest city, you'll feel better that way instead of holding back all the time.

Toronto has just as much pedigree for English Canada as Montreal does for French Canada. Just as many honoured and respected places, names, institutions -- whatever things are being used to describe "pedigree" in this thread.
I am not sure you have the life experience, cultural knowledge/exposure and language skills to make that comparison, but if you do, I'll be delightedly surprised.

My credentials are that I was born, raised and educated in "English" Canada, I obviously speak English and I lived much of my life in Ontario (eastern and southern) parts, in addition to living in several other provinces and having visited them all extensively.

I also live in Quebec at the moment, speak French natively, have a francophone family I am raising, a francophone Québécois social entourage and use French as my language of work in an office located in Quebec.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions