Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
What, no animatronic peacock?
Here you go:

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Love all the pics. Wondering, is there something inside the sphere? or is it simply a work of art?
You don't want to know what's in the sphere. Just believe me when I say, don't cross Brian Roberts.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:23 PM

Comcast III...not so fast?

Liberty Property Trust to sell off stakes in Comcast towers, Navy Yard offices to focus on industrial buildings

Quote:
Liberty Property Trust, which built Comcast Corp.'s Center City headquarters and technology center towers and is the main developer of office and lab properties in South Philadelphia's Navy Yard, intends to sell off all of its remaining office holdings to focus on its increasingly profitable business as an industrial landlord.

As part of its sell-off, Liberty plans to divest itself of its stakes in the Comcast Corp. buildings, its interests in the Navy Yard and its position as the developer of Camden's sprawling new development of offices across the Delaware River from Center City, Liberty chairman and chief executive said Tuesday in a conference call with analysts.

Liberty has long signaled its intent to unwind its business as a suburban office landlord, selling off its Great Valley Corporate Center business park in 2016 and announcing in February that it was seeking buyers for its remaining suburban office holdings.

But the urban office projects, which it had not shown any prior intent to jettison, have been taking a toll on the company's bottom line. Liberty this year had to record a $60 million charge to account for cost overruns by its contractor at the Comcast Technology Center project and write down the value of its sprawling Camden waterfront development project by $26 million.

Its growing nationwide portfolio of warehouses and distribution centers, meanwhile, has benefited from increased demand as retailers compete to meet consumer demand for speedy deliveries of online orders.

"We continue to benefit from the dynamic and evolving logistics industry and robust demand for quality industrial space from users both large and small," Hankowsky said in a news release before the analyst call. "Consistent with the opportunities we see in the marketplace, we intend to complete our strategic shift by monetizing our remaining, high-quality office assets and focusing our efforts and capital solely on our industrial platform."

Liberty's remaining office holdings include most of the buildings that it developed in the Navy Yard Corporate Center — the former military base's main office park — including its 1200 Intrepid Ave. office low-rise where it recently secured logistics firm Worldwide Express as a tenant and the headquarters of asset manager FS Investments.

It also retains 20-percent interests in Comcast Corp.'s headquarters tower and its new Comcast Technology Center skyscraper, and owns what had been a vacant 26-acre site before development by Liberty and others that included a new 207,000 square-foot headquarters for American Water Works Co.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post

Liberty Property Trust to sell off stakes in Comcast towers, Navy Yard offices to focus on industrial buildings
I'm not sure this has much of an effect on whether or not there is a third Comcast tower. If Comcast wants one... it will happen, with or without Liberty. If Liberty sells the assemblage we've been assuming is for Comcast III, and Comcast actually does want to build one, then Liberty would probably work with Comcast to find a buyer who would build it (Brandywine?). And they'd get a price premium for selling a BTS site. It doesn't really matter who builds it. I wouldn't be surprise if Comcast buys the land from them outright. I'm more worried about what this means for the Navy Yards and the Camden waterfront.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:48 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post

Link was left out of original post: http://www2.philly.com/philly/busine...-20181023.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Link was left out of original post: http://www2.philly.com/philly/busine...-20181023.html
My mistake, thanks!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:02 AM

So... is the building technically open to the public? If so, I'll definitely pop in the next time I'm in the area. (Except my cousin who works for Comcast promised me a tour, so there's that...)

With that being said, I thought I might ask what the tallest buildings you've ever been in are. Mine are:

1. Willis Tower.
2. Empire State Building
3. Aon Center
4. John Hancock Center
5. New York Times Tower

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Mr Saturn64;8355434]So... is the building technically open to the public? If so, I'll definitely pop in the next time I'm in the area. (Except my cousin who works for Comcast promised me a tour, so there's that...)

Yes, the Lobby and cafe have been open since last Thursday.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125694...57661914078912

--------------------

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpOQSjyB...ke_photography

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpJKUDSB...ke_photography

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpQI_eGn...ssicaboyington

NBC10/Telemundo have been broadcasting from the new studios since Sunday night.
One beef -- their gigantic live screen backdrop during the news telecast is a camera feed from Camden -- barely showing the new building, let alone the breadth of the skyline -- disappointing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:46 PM

Re: Comcast III

Quote:
From the beginning, the company never intended to own any of the buildings it developed in Camden. The company also sold a site to the Michaels Organization for the development of a new apartment building, has a hotel operator for another property and is in talks with a couple of other companies that are considering new buildings in Camden, Hankowsky said. While it will work with any interested firms, selling them a parcel or helping with aspects of the approval process, Liberty will not take on the role of developer.

That also applies across the river in Philadelphia if Comcast sought to have another new tower built for its operations. “Comcast has said there is no third tower,” Hankowsky said. However, Comcast and Liberty jointly own properties in Center City near its two buildings for what many believe is for an eventual expansion. Liberty will continue to “manage that joint venture,” Hankowsky said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ownership.html

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 9:45 PM

I see this has been moved out of construction!

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I see this has been moved out of construction!
Is that accurate? I really thought the whole 19th street side/hotel entrance was still under construction.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:35 AM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
Is that accurate? I really thought the whole 19th street side/hotel entrance was still under construction.
So did I. What's the rush to move it? How often do we get a super tall?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:19 AM

^Yeah, someone jumped the gun.
The 19th Street side and the Hotel Lobby side are certainly still u/c. The hotel will not open until early 2019.... not sure why this was moved.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 4:35 AM

The Building Data Page for CTC has it listed as: Finished--2018.
So somebody thinks it's all done.
(maybe because they opened it to the public and somebody didn't realize that it's a split building)

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Love all the pics. Wondering, is there something inside the sphere? or is it simply a work of art?
A worker told be a few months back that it's some type of VR experience

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 5:40 PM

easily the weakest silhouette on the skyline and it manages to block RAMSA's sleek tower at the same time, which was a great compliment to the Jahn towers and the KPF building. ugh.

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 8:17 PM
Ω

^ I agree I'm not a huge fan of the overall massing. But, the details and materials are top notch. It would be a great building to actually work in.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:52 AM

I have to disagree about the quality of the materials, Zerton. The "wood" slats are clearly fake (at least on the outside entrances), the long sides of the pedestal are clad in ribbed molded plastic that belongs on a quonset hut, the shiny metal on the window frames is little more than foil, the floors are reportedly vinyl wood-look strips, and the lantern is already discoloring.
This is nothing more than shopping mall construction and materials--all surface, no substance.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
I have to disagree about the quality of the materials, Zerton. The "wood" slats are clearly fake (at least on the outside entrances), the long sides of the pedestal are clad in ribbed molded plastic that belongs on a quonset hut, the shiny metal on the window frames is little more than foil, the floors are reportedly vinyl wood-look strips, and the lantern is already discoloring.
This is nothing more than shopping mall construction and materials--all surface, no substance.
Were you really expecting hard wood floors throughout a skyscraper? I don't see an issue with "fake wood" being used simply because it is fake. This isn't a Shinto temple.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:02 PM

Real hardwood floors in any commercial or institutional setting? What office buildings are you going into that has real hardwood flooring? Malls, universities, and pretty much any non-residential building constructed or rennovated in recent years will have vinyl flooring.

It also bears pointing out that Luxury Vinyl Planks (LVP) are far different than the sheets of cheap vinyl from yesteryear. I have LVP in my home and it's a good product, durable, easy to maintain, and therefore, more appropriate in non-residential settings than real hardwood.

This Comcast tower has design flaws worth raising (like the awkward massing) but your points about cheap materials don't hold any water.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture