HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 12:43 PM

As always, great post Skyguy. I always look forward to your posts.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
^^^
Thanks for posting the video. I saw that Alaska is switching the SLC-SJC flight in May to the Q400 turboprop. I am surprised this flight is still around. Anyone know how Alaska is doing in SLC? I flew them last year to San Diego and San Francisco and both times the flights were full. I think Alaska could really help the SLC airport grow and expand.
I flew Alaska from Salt Lake to Hawaii (stop over in San Jose) and back. And all the flights were completely packed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 12:02 AM
BANNED

The 2014 on-time ratings were released and SLC is number one in the nation at 85.6%. I believe SLC has held the top spot for a while now.

On another note, certain Alaska Airlines flights at SLC have been doing very poorly. Their non-stops to LAX, SAN, BOI, LAS, SJC, and SFO have all been performing below expectations. The SEA and PDX flights have been doing great though. They are downgauging the LAS flight from 2x daily on a Q400 turboprop to 1x daily on a CRJ700.

For this summer it is looking like Alaska will have 13 daily flights from SLC...
4x Seattle - 737 (2x daily), CRJ700, E175
2x Portland - 737, E175
1x Boise - Q400
1x Las Vegas - CRJ700
2x San Diego - 737, CRJ700
1x Los Angeles - 737
1x San Jose - Q400
1x San Francisco - 737

I will not be surprised by the time September comes around that Alaska announces that they are only keeping the SEA and PDX flights and maybe one daily flight to San Diego from SLC.

Last edited by LumberJack; Feb 13, 2015 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 4:41 AM

Does anybody know if the new terminal and concourses will be able to handle 747's and A380's? Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 7:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Does anybody know if the new terminal and concourses will be able to handle 747's and A380's? Thanks!
I'm sure it will be able to handle a 747, but I'm not sure about the A380. I don't think it matters anyways. SLC will never see regular scheduled flights on those two aircraft types.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 7:54 PM

I just looked it up… Delta is replacing all of their 747's anyway, but they are purchasing roughly 80 new wide body aircraft, thats a lot considering they are only replacing 29 older wide body aircraft (767, and the 747). These wide body orders however, are mostly A330's and A350's (the equivalent of a 767 and a 777 for the uncultured) meaning we could see quite a few large airplanes at the new airport along with current 767's, 787's, 777's, etc.

The plan shows the airport capable of 4 wide body aircraft in phase one, and 8 in the complete 2030+ scenario (with the paralleling island concourse). Perhaps this increase in large aircraft and the capability of such aircraft at SLC, SLC could see an increase in long-distance international flights in the coming years. For comparison Denver is only capable of handling 6 wide body aircraft at a time.

Also if you are thinking "well maybe these larger aircraft are to replace multiple smaller daily flights with one large one" that is most likely not the case, as delta continues to increase smaller flights at hub airports and has ordered roughly 150 smaller aircraft such as the 737 and the A321, and will only be replacing a handful of 757's while doing so. This is just speculation but this could spell the growth of delta airlines, locally and internationally, which has already been seen in the massive growth into the far east. Perhaps SLC will see some of that growth…

Also, I have a relative who used to fly the larger planes for Eastern Airlines, (before all the crazy happened) and he's been following the Seattle delta growth and the expansion at salt lake, and says most likely Seattle is a temporary (10 year) western hub for delta, as it is already crowded and serves most of the same flights within the same distance as SLC, therefore SLC could take over the Asian operations from seattle once the new Airport is complete, it would have better connections, flexibility, reliability, and capability than the currently floundering Seattle.

Good things could be in store for SLC international airport, Just saying...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 8:02 PM

Also Provo Municipal airport will supposedly become a relief airport for salt lake, kind of like dallas love field or chicago midway. Although I doubt that would ever happen for a REALLY long time, not until the wasatch front pushes the 8-10 million mark, which isn't supposed to happen until the 2090's. I wouldn't want to be around to see it anyway, not when Salt Lake resembles some kind of frozen Los Angeles…

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 1:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I just looked it up… Delta is replacing all of their 747's anyway, but they are purchasing roughly 80 new wide body aircraft, thats a lot considering they are only replacing 29 older wide body aircraft (767, and the 747). These wide body orders however, are mostly A330's and A350's (the equivalent of a 767 and a 777 for the uncultured) meaning we could see quite a few large airplanes at the new airport along with current 767's, 787's, 777's, etc.

The plan shows the airport capable of 4 wide body aircraft in phase one, and 8 in the complete 2030+ scenario (with the paralleling island concourse). Perhaps this increase in large aircraft and the capability of such aircraft at SLC, SLC could see an increase in long-distance international flights in the coming years. For comparison Denver is only capable of handling 6 wide body aircraft at a time.

Also if you are thinking "well maybe these larger aircraft are to replace multiple smaller daily flights with one large one" that is most likely not the case, as delta continues to increase smaller flights at hub airports and has ordered roughly 150 smaller aircraft such as the 737 and the A321, and will only be replacing a handful of 757's while doing so. This is just speculation but this could spell the growth of delta airlines, locally and internationally, which has already been seen in the massive growth into the far east. Perhaps SLC will see some of that growth…

Also, I have a relative who used to fly the larger planes for Eastern Airlines, (before all the crazy happened) and he's been following the Seattle delta growth and the expansion at salt lake, and says most likely Seattle is a temporary (10 year) western hub for delta, as it is already crowded and serves most of the same flights within the same distance as SLC, therefore SLC could take over the Asian operations from seattle once the new Airport is complete, it would have better connections, flexibility, reliability, and capability than the currently floundering Seattle.

Good things could be in store for SLC international airport, Just saying...
There is no way Salt Lake will replace Seattle as a hub. The Seattle hub for Delta is here to stay. Delta is planning on building a 30 gate terminal in Seattle. Delta has already invested a ton of money into the Seattle airport. Delta wants Seattle to have between 250-275 daily flights out of Seattle by 2025. I believe that's more flights than Delta has in Salt Lake right now. Delta is using Seattle as their main gateway hub to Asia, especially to China. They plan on using and expanding China service not just to already served Beijing and Shanghai, but to other places in China such as Chengdu, Guanghzou, Wuhan, etc. Both Seattle and Salt Lake can and will coexist as Delta Hubs. They both have different roles as Delta hubs. Roles that neither can replace from the other. You also have to remember that Delta now has another newly large growing hub out west in Los Angeles as well. Delta now has three hubs in the western US. They are Seattle, Salt Lake, and Los Angeles.

Outside of about five combined daily 767 flights this summer between Salt Lake and Paris, Amsterdam, Honolulu, and Atlanta, I doubt you will see much more large aircraft flying in and out of Salt Lake for a while.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Curious question: what is that little walkway/balcony thing in the top right corner of thos picture?

I mean, it's cool and I like it, but what is its purpose, and will they really include it in the final design? It seems like a really cool place to watch planes from.
The walkway is the international arrivals corridor that will leads to (CPB) customs. I believe 4 gates will be able to access this corridor by escalators and or elevators as passengers unload of the airplanes.
The Delta lounge is to have a sundeck for viewing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 2:22 AM

Just a little bit of interesting information, SLC had almost 26 million passengers last year, up from barely 20 million in 2012. That is a substantial jump in only two years.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Just a little bit of interesting information, SLC had almost 26 million passengers last year, up from barely 20 million in 2012. That is a substantial jump in only two years.
Link? That is a huge jump. 2013 was just over 20 million and according to this PDF from the SLC airport page, through November, the airport was at 19,420,715 with the 12 month rolling total (11/13 - 11/14) of 21,067,096

http://www.slcairport.com/cmsdocuments/2014_11.pdf

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportnoise View Post
The walkway is the international arrivals corridor that will leads to (CPB) customs. I believe 4 gates will be able to access this corridor by escalators and or elevators as passengers unload of the airplanes.
The Delta lounge is to have a sundeck for viewing.
Cool. That makes plenty of sense - though that means I'll probably never get to go up there.

What is a sundeck, and do you have to be a delta passenger to use it? I'm thinking along the lines of this sort of thing (from Tokyo):

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 10:51 PM
BANNED

The sun deck will be for Delta Sky Club members or for members of any airline within SkyTeam or Alaska Airlines only (if Alaska is still even a parter with Delta when it's complete). The sun deck will be very similar to the ones at Delta's hubs in Detroit and New York-JFK.

It was closer to around 21 million passengers that flew through SLC, not 26 million.

Does anyone know how the future bookings are looking for the Delta flight between Salt Lake and Amsterdam? Also, I have been hearing that Spirit Airlines is looking into adding SLC to their route map.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 4:44 AM
BANNED

The SLC Airport just released this video with information about the new terminal. It talks about its design and other things.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:08 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
The SLC Airport just released this video with information about the new terminal. It talks about its design and other things.
Ummmm.....

Link?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Ummmm.....

Link?
My mistake! Here it is...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OehrpLWI0kg

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:54 PM

Delta plans on cutting international flights...

http://http://www.ksl.com/index.php?...&s_cid=queue-2

I doubt it will affect Salt Lake, there are no international flights to the locations stated.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Update on a couple things...

Delta/SkyWest will be ending service to Moab and Vernal this Thursday. The aircraft that flies those routes is being retired.

Delta begins their new nonstop flight between Salt Lake City and Amsterdam this Friday. It's a seasonal flight operating between May-October using a Boeing 767-300ER. This flight and the nonstop from Paris arrive about 15 minutes apart so customs and the international terminal will be even more crowded.

Alaska Airlines has expressed their desire to expand SLC by adding "a couple more cities and frequencies to Salt Lake from already strong Alaska west coast markets", according to a recent conference call. This is contingent only if Alaska can get one or two more gates at the airport. Alaska currently uses three gates. No mention of what cities potentially could see frequency upgrades or what cities could potentially be added. If I had to guess, I think Los Angeles would get a second daily flight and new service would be added to maybe Spokane, Sacramento, and Honolulu.

Last edited by LumberJack; Apr 28, 2015 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 10:50 PM

It looks as if delta is completely dropping vernal, with no flights replacing it. Moab on the other hand, is being replaced with a flight to Denver the next day by Great Lakes Airlines. Shame, really.

I would have thought that Moab could have been able to handle both, being the gateway to two major National Parks...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 10:56 PM

Interesting...

After doing a little research, I discovered that Moab and Vernal are covered by the Essential Air Service Act, meaning that small communities, however unprofitable it may be, must be served by a major airline.

Somethings not right here, how is Delta able to end their flights to Vernal with no replacement airline?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West