HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Burberry only has stores in Toronto, Calgary and Vanvouver. There is no Gucci or Prada here either but there are many cities that lack these luxury brands.
No, but I mean Mills or Duggers or whatever its called are the only places that indirect retail those brands. This is my point... Saskatchewan has better shopping than Halifax for christ's sake.

I also don't understand how Coach is able to go into smaller markets than Lacoste. Lacoste isn't even that expensive, depending on the item.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
This. Never thought it was true until I went to winners in Calgary (chinook?) and was like "da fuq?!". We truely get the short end of the stick.
Oh its true... and Toronto gets the majority of everything. Its ridiculous the things you can find in a Toronto Winners.

Either way, I'd like to see this market open up cross-country... the goods are all excess US goods anyway as far as I know.

Its incredible how much better other places just over the US border have better shopping. I never buy in a clothing store in europe unless its a specific item, I feel the prices are too high here... particularly in Switzerland.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
No, but I mean Mills or Duggers or whatever its called are the only places that indirect retail those brands. This is my point... Saskatchewan has better shopping than Halifax for christ's sake.

I also don't understand how Coach is able to go into smaller markets than Lacoste. Lacoste isn't even that expensive, depending on the item.
It depends what you're looking for I guess but I wouldn't say Saskatchewan has better shopping than Halifax... in terms of major international retailers anyway.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 2:46 AM

I get the sense that a significant segment of the Halifax population (majority?) doesn't really care about high-end designer brands. I for one can't really see myself every owning anything by Burberry, Lacoste, Gucci, Prada, Vuitton, etc., unless it is given to me as a gift from someone who doesn't know me very well. It may be cliche, but Halifax tends to be a place where people are judged more by who they are and what they do (and perhaps how hard they drink) than what they own. This is definitely not true in all of Canada. However, I also wonder whether this attitude is the cause or result of Atlantic Canada being the last market in North America for, well, pretty much everything. BTW, when you say that Sasakatchewan has better shopping that Halifax, what do you mean exactly? Are you talking exclusively about clothes?

One thing that may change the designer-clothing scene in Halifax is that it's one of the gayest cities in North America. This may be a politically incorrect way of saying it, but it's true; gay people seem to love Halifax, and (male) gay people seem to love designer clothes. And I'm not saying this to stereotype, this is all based 100% on personal experience. I'd be hard pressed to think of more than one straight friend who disagrees with the above paragraph, for example, while I'd also be hard pressed to think of more than one gay friend who agrees. The relevance is that the "gay subculture" is seen increasingly by the marketing community as a distinct demographic with distinct taste and above-average spending power. So my theory is that if the gay population in Halifax continues to grow, then it will make more sense to open these big-name big-money designer clothing stores in Halifax than say, Ottawa or Winnipeg. Just a theory though.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
It may be cliche, but Halifax tends to be a place where people are judged more by who they are and what they do (and perhaps how hard they drink) than what they own.

BTW, when you say that Sasakatchewan has better shopping that Halifax, what do you mean exactly? Are you talking exclusively about clothes?

One thing that may change the designer-clothing scene in Halifax is that it's one of the gayest cities in North America. This may be a politically incorrect way of saying it, but it's true; gay people seem to love Halifax, and (male) gay people seem to love designer clothes. And I'm not saying this to stereotype, this is all based 100% on personal experience. I'd be hard pressed to think of more than one straight friend who disagrees with the above paragraph, for example, while I'd also be hard pressed to think of more than one gay friend who agrees. The relevance is that the "gay subculture" is seen increasingly by the marketing community as a distinct demographic with distinct taste and above-average spending power. So my theory is that if the gay population in Halifax continues to grow, then it will make more sense to open these big-name big-money designer clothing stores in Halifax than say, Ottawa or Winnipeg. Just a theory though.
I agree... but I don't think that its about "caring" about the brands. Most people in Halifax with money are somehow content on paying the ridiculous mark-up on these few products in-store. Or they are well off enough to go on these "trips" and buy stuff elsewhere. But its not really about money... these designers and brands just are generally an indication of how how internationally connected a place is... not just income/population. Sort of like Ikea, but even moreso because of the international nature of fashion.

Sask has better shopping in general... they even have grocery store chains out there that we don't have in eastern Canada.

Its not about owning an item... its about access to it. For example, we have to pay extra to get alot of things, not just luxury brands.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Sask has better shopping in general...
I got a disagree with you there, we have many stores, local, national, and international chains that are not in Saskatchewan. A better comparison would be Manitoba.

Apple Store, Pro Hockey Life, Victoria Secret, Banana Republic, Hollister, Patagonia, Mountain Equipment Co-op are in Nova Scotia but not in Saskatchewan, just to name a few.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 2:40 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I got a disagree with you there, we have many stores, local, national, and international chains that are not in Saskatchewan. A better comparison would be Manitoba.

Apple Store, Pro Hockey Life, Victoria Secret, Banana Republic, Hollister, Patagonia, Mountain Equipment Co-op are in Nova Scotia but not in Saskatchewan, just to name a few.
Most of them are new. Things are improving. We've been lucky to have MEC for years, but there aren't alot of mountains on the prairie. There are alot of independent hockey stores out west, so its hard to say for that sport.

VS, Patagonia, and Apple are great additions. Hollister and Banana Republic are fairly common.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 2:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
VS, Patagonia, and Apple are great additions. Hollister and Banana Republic are fairly common.
Hollister isn't common (at least in Canada), but Banana Republic is - we're even getting one in Moncton.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Hollister isn't common (at least in Canada), but Banana Republic is - we're even getting one in Moncton.
Banana Republic Stores are not that common. Outside Ont, Que, AB and BC there is only one in Polo Park Winnipeg and HSC. Moncton is getting a BR factory store like the one in DC with prices about half of what the non-factory stores are. (Good for Moncton though as there aren't a ton of BR factory stores in Canada )

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 4:23 PM

I don't think theres any question that we have better shopping in Halifax than what there is in Saskatchewan. What do they have that we don't? A few crap American eateries? Some grocery store brands?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Banana Republic Stores are not that common. Outside Ont, Que, AB and BC there is only one in Polo Park Winnipeg and HSC. Moncton is getting a BR factory store like the one in DC with prices about half of what the non-factory stores are. (Good for Moncton though as there aren't a ton of BR factory stores in Canada )
True. And Polo Park just got a BR. There is quite a difference between the full fledged store and factory store. Though the factory store in DC is a great store as well.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:10 PM

I've never been, but I imagine the Apple Store in HSC is a major draw, considering their rarity in the region.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 10:27 AM
Account Hacked

Having lived in Halifax, Regina and Saskatoon I can confidently say that SK is lagging behind NS in terms of retail and shopping options.

SK has Earl's, Chili's, Safeway, Fat Burger and Cabelas but other then that I cannot think of any other major retailer or chain that SK has and NS doesn't?

There also seems to be a far superior selection of independent retailers and boutique stores in NS then SK.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNS View Post
Having lived in Halifax, Regina and Saskatoon I can confidently say that SK is lagging behind NS in terms of retail and shopping options.

SK has Earl's, Chili's, Safeway, Fat Burger and Cabelas but other then that I cannot think of any other major retailer or chain that SK has and NS doesn't?

There also seems to be a far superior selection of independent retailers and boutique stores in NS then SK.
Really, for men's clothing? I found the amount of high end mens clothing stores to be significantly better in both Regina and Saskatoon. What about Caswell's? I know of about 5 stores in the area around 2nd avenue that sell a variety of designers at less than prices I've ever seen in Halifax (Or even seen the brand being sold).

Its basically 1-2 stores in Halifax, unless something has changed! Mills, Duggers / D2?

Moore's is one of the only suit options in Halifax!

Just because Halifax might have 10 of one type of store doesn't mean its better... they all sell mostly the same crap. Winners is a shining light in Halifax retail, with the MicMac location being the best.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 9:57 PM

I would expect to see Lacoste set up shop on Spring Garden Road or HSC very soon based on where they have locations in Canada now.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Its basically 1-2 stores in Halifax, unless something has changed! Mills, Duggers / D2?

Just because Halifax might have 10 of one type of store doesn't mean its better... they all sell mostly the same crap. Winners is a shining light in Halifax retail, with the MicMac location being the best.
There are a bunch of other smaller men's clothing stores downtown including HIM, Rchmnd, The Suitor, Top Drawer Menswear, etc. I haven't visited Saskatchewan so I can't comment on that comparison, but it seems that selection here has improved drastically in the past 2-3 years.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
I've never been, but I imagine the Apple Store in HSC is a major draw, considering their rarity in the region.
Meh. I was in the AS last week doing some xmas shopping. I bought an Ipod Shuffle. It was PACKED, but most were just window shopping.

The apple store is "big" but its mostly all the same stuff spread out over multiple tables. Whole tables of iphones. Whole tables of iPods. Honestly, I dont think its that great of a layout, certainly not an effective use of space.

One neat thing was the staff's use of their iPhones and iPads as virtual "cash registers". Great use of the technology.

On staff, while it was "busy" the staff seemed a bit aloof. Not a great experience for my first time there

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Really, for men's clothing? I found the amount of high end mens clothing stores to be significantly better in both Regina and Saskatoon. What about Caswell's? I know of about 5 stores in the area around 2nd avenue that sell a variety of designers at less than prices I've ever seen in Halifax (Or even seen the brand being sold).

What about Vogue? You can get a bespoke suit, hand made by a man with almost 40 years in the business. Is that good enough for you?

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...cult-to-repeat

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 1:40 AM

The Suitor in City Centre Atlantic is excellent.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ss-for-success

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 2:59 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I would expect to see Lacoste set up shop on Spring Garden Road or HSC very soon based on where they have locations in Canada now.
Lacoste locations in Canada:

Calgary
Etobicoke
Edmonton
Laval
Montreal
Ottawa
Ste-Foy
Toronto
Vancouver
Vaughan

Judging from those I guess Halifax wouldn't be too bad of an idea. It would definitely be a store that I would visit when i'm in Halifax. Colwell's in Saint John sells Lacoste clothing..i'm unsure what Moncton/St. John's has for a retailer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs