HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:41 AM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Wilshire/Vermont is definitely not under construction yet. We all got our hopes up when a truck crane showed up a few months ago but it's since disappeared, and there hasn't been any activity on site since then.
We should remove it from the "under construction" list then...

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:50 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
We should remove it from the "under construction" list then...
Yeah. But, on the bright side, it should be starting any day now. Also, Spaghetti Tower and Wilshire/Gayley should start soon.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 5:46 AM
International

I would absolutely love to see the Spaghetti Tower break ground! That whole part of Hollywood east of Vine is going to transform.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:50 PM

This 5 story apartment building appears to be under construction at La Cienega and Westmount-

http://www.nmslacienega.com/

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:55 PM
Paramoderator

Actually, I believe that building is offices.

EDIT: Not entirely. It's mixed use, with apartments and office.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:24 PM

Here's another KTown project going forward that I don't think has been mentioned. Construction's been going on for a few months on Southwestern Law School's new student housing building at the northeast corner of 7th St and Shatto Pl. Right now they're close to finishing the underground parking and finally moving above ground. I'll try to get construction photos every so often once that happens. Here's a few renders taken from last year's press release:

Source: Southwestnern Law School

Last edited by Muji; May 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 7:24 PM

i like it, except for the rounded edge facing the street.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 9:26 PM
Ascension

I like it too. This is the type of developments that needs to happen all over Los Angeles. A mass of 4-7 story buildings would do wonders for the overall landscape of LA.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:48 AM
Paramoderator

I like it, except for there is no ground floor retail, which is a real shame.

EDIT: Also, since I guess we are reporting on all the infill going on, here is a five story building going up on Centinela and Pico.

Yup. Not bad infill.

Last edited by Illithid Dude; May 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I like it too. This is the type of developments that needs to happen all over Los Angeles. A mass of 4-7 story buildings would do wonders for the overall landscape of LA.
Unfortunately we need several hundreds (thousands?) of these. Oh well, slowly but surely we'll replace the old/dingy low density crap with well designed urbanity.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:13 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Unfortunately we need several hundreds (thousands?) of these. Oh well, slowly but surely we'll replace the old/dingy low density crap with well designed urbanity.
Hey, if two of these type of buildings break ground every day, like today, then we will be set!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:13 PM
International

What's the deal with the Wilshire/La Brea (former Columbia Savings bank) site? I drove by last night, and didn't see anything. BTW, the Caruso project on Burton Way/La Brea has some seriously urban massing. Very refreshing to see.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
What's the deal with the Wilshire/La Brea (former Columbia Savings bank) site? I drove by last night, and didn't see anything. BTW, the Caruso project on Burton Way/La Brea has some seriously urban massing. Very refreshing to see.
I saw it yesterday too (my cat's vet is right there at Wilshire/Sycamore)

Looks like the foundation/parking structure is well under way. There's a 3-4 story deep pit.

By the way, welcome back!!

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:19 PM
International

Thanks, DD! It feels good to be back I am going to ride the Expo Line in about 1/2 an hour. Wonderful weather today, too.

Regarding the Wilshire/La Brea site, I saw some wood framing, but from the car, it looked so insignificant/small, that I assumed it was some sort of leftover scrapping or something Good to hear that project is U/C, though! One of the most visible things about LA after moving back from the East Coast, is the sheer number of underutilized corners at prime intersections. Among many, many others, the one at Fairfax/Sunset immediately comes to mind.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Thanks, DD! It feels good to be back I am going to ride the Expo Line in about 1/2 an hour. Wonderful weather today, too.

Regarding the Wilshire/La Brea site, I saw some wood framing, but from the car, it looked so insignificant/small, that I assumed it was some sort of leftover scrapping or something Good to hear that project is U/C, though! One of the most visible things about LA after moving back from the East Coast, is the sheer number of underutilized corners at prime intersections. Among many, many others, the one at Fairfax/Sunset immediately comes to mind.
I can see why you'd notice that, after a year in DC. DC has got to have the lowest amount of underutilized space in the country, outside of Manhattan. A strict height limit on a booming city will do that!

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

There was a HUGE concrete pour today at Wilshire & La Brea, presumably the foundation pour for that apartment project. No pictures as I was behind the wheel.

And there's activity at the southwest corner of 3rd and La Brea. The lot is fenced off, stripped to dirt, and there's a backhoe on site. Anyone know what's going up there? I can't imagine anything more than a 4 or 5-story apartment building, or possibly a retail development.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 9:03 AM
BANNED

amazing, southwestern's proposal isn't insultingly tacky. i like it so far.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:57 PM

Atlantic on the move (LA Times)

The LA Times has a good article and interactive graphic with video clips about the revitalization of Atlantic Avenue, strecthing from Alhambra to Long Beach.

Atlantic on the move
As Los Angeles' boulevards reassert their place in the public realm, the transformation along Atlantic offers glimpses of a new city identity taking shape.

By Christopher Hawthorne
Los Angeles Times
May 13, 2012

“The 5600 block of Atlantic Avenue doesn't look like much at first glance, especially if you're zipping through at 45 mph. A dry cleaner, a pupuseria, a T-shirt shop and a medical marijuana dispensary line the low-rise street in the North Village Annex section of Long Beach. About a third of the storefronts are vacant.

Pedestrians stroll along Atlantic in Bixby Knolls during the latest of the Long Beach neighborhood's monthly "First Fridays" art walks. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

But if you climb out of the car, you'll notice that this classic commercial strip — convenient for drivers, charmless and alienating for everybody else — is in the midst of a remarkable evolution.

A crosswalk cuts across the boulevard at mid-block, complete with a flashing signal for pedestrians. Orange and blue bike racks dot the sidewalks. Silk floss trees, lined up in a neat row along the median, frame a piece of tiled public art…”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...8106.htmlstory

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 7:13 PM

I think Hawthorne could have given more attention to the Atlantic Times Square in Monterey Park given the fact it is probably the largest mixed-use project on Atlantic Blvd. The thing is ugly and huge, but says something about the changing nature of Downtown Monterey Park, which is also prepping construction on another large mixed-use project at Garvey/Garfield.

The problem with many of these mixed-use projects is their lack of synergy with anything else surrounding them. They're expected to be a slice of urbanity, but obviously that's not possible given their limited size and scope, which depends on working synergistically with other mixed-use projects in close/dense proximity.

That's the issue with all of LA's suburban linear commercial blvds. You would literally have to infill the shit out of them and connect the entire length with convenient bus-only lanes or streetcars to make them pedestrian conducive. Otherwise, you get what is there today, which are blvds that lack pedestrian activity.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 7:27 PM

I think this is a pretty good article. As important as new football stadiums and shiny 60-story hotels are, it the street-level detail that often determines how vibrant an area will be and encourages people to walk/bike and take transit (since most trips begin/end with walking). Improvements like road-diets, landscaping, public art and a good mix of neighborhood-serving retail and restuarant that give people a reason to walk to local destinations can all significantly improve these older Post-WWII suburbs.

The most recent issue of Access magazine has a good article, "Retrofitting the suburbs to increase walking," that looks at ways to make older suburbs in the South Bay more walkable: http://uctc.net/access/39/access39_suburbwalking.shtml . Many of these communities are quite dense and can support a significant amount of local retail--- amenities that can get people out of their cars if the physical environment is appealing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations