HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1001  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 5:54 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,361
^ Looking at those pics further up, I’m sure there are some really awesome load transfers going on here that involve cool as hell engineering and math.

Nothing that I’ll fully understand, but my 9 year old son says he wants to building skyscrapers so I’m showing him these pics
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1002  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:47 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Looking at those pics further up, I’m sure there are some really awesome load transfers going on here that involve cool as hell engineering and math.

Nothing that I’ll fully understand, but my 9 year old son says he wants to building skyscrapers so I’m showing him these pics
The field you are looking for is Statics, often taught as Static and Dynamics. I was thrilled when my 18yr old son wanted to borrow my old college text.

An early lesson is always triangles rock - easy to demonstrate and grasp.
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1003  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 7:27 PM
Romero Romero is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 67
Statics

As i was watching BMO rise with the diagonal steel work, i was also reflecting when I had taken Statics and Dynamics courses at Michigan Tech when i was getting my 1st degree in Chemical Engineering. Both courses were eye openers.
__________________
Tony in Woodacre
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1004  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 10:08 PM
nergie nergie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero View Post
As i was watching BMO rise with the diagonal steel work, i was also reflecting when I had taken Statics and Dynamics courses at Michigan Tech when i was getting my 1st degree in Chemical Engineering. Both courses were eye openers.
I too have a degree in Chemical Engineering and have fond memories of learning about wonderful "K" Truss... My father worked as a structural engineer for SOM in the late 60's early 70's when the Big 3 were going up in Chicago and as a child he taught me about the X bracing on Hancock and the Tube/Bundle concept for the "Sears" Tower.. You could say I was raised as a skyscraper geek.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1005  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 11:18 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,825
Oct 15



Yes there are some round headed fasteners - as well as bolt heads and bold ends.




__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1006  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:40 PM
CrazyCres's Avatar
CrazyCres CrazyCres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 217
They gotta a new website
Link: https://320southcanal.com

And a new brochure: https://320southcanal.com/wp-content.../eBrochure.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1007  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 11:50 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is online now
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
They gotta a new website
Link: https://320southcanal.com

And a new brochure: https://320southcanal.com/wp-content.../eBrochure.pdf
Not really a fan of the building design, but at least there's a cool rendering from the site's main page:
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1008  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:05 AM
vexxed82's Avatar
vexxed82 vexxed82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Oct 15

Can someone explain where the loads go from the inverted triangle trusses that seemingly "dead end" at the header beam to the left & right of the central V columns?

I mean, I guess I see that they're directed horizontally to the ground-connecting-columns, but it seems so abrupt. Interestingly, the angled, horizontal support structure coming off the cores appears to split tie difference between the inverted triangle's apexes.

I would have guessed that addt'l structure would have connected directly to those nodes on the header beam
__________________
Nick Ulivieri | instagram | twitter | Facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1009  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:24 AM
pilsenarch pilsenarch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 828
Yes ^

Think of the floor with all of the diagonal beams as a single truss... similar to a truss that holds up a bridge. And, like a bridge truss, (or a 'space frame', which is just a different kind of truss) every 'bottom structural point', if you will, does not need to be supported to maintain the structural integrity of the overall truss.

Having said that, if you look closely, the diagonal columns that are transferring the dead loads from above directly to the level 1 columns appear to be sized just a little bit larger to account for those loads... and although it's been a long time since my undergrad structures course, I would suspect the diagonals that are 'not connected' are actually in 'tension', meaning they are 'hanging' the floor below while the others are in 'compression' that are actually transferring the vertical loads to the ground level angled columns.

The angled beams in the 2nd floor appear to be simply adding additional 'shear' strength to the floor for what appears to be kind of a cantilever where the 'missing' vertical columns would have been.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1010  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:46 AM
Skyguy_7's Avatar
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,583
^^^ Looking at that rendering and realizing what we do now, I love that they’re hiding the diagonals in tension, leaving only the most structurally important columns/diagonals visible. Nice touch Goettsch!
__________________
SAVE CAPITALISM 2020
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1011  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:54 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Yank in Tex
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: TXpatriate
Posts: 2,293
Forgive my naïveté but I did not realize that this was so close to the Post Office, and that the post office and Union Station were so close to each other. *facepalm*

If the post office redevelopment is as much of a game-changer as some in the industry believe it is, as is stated in the cross-posted link below from the 301/321 S Wacker thread, then we could see a flurry of new development in this corner of the West Loop as we already are near Fulton Market.

Apologies for the run-on sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Found it! Dated 09-26-19

There are also plans for a seperate tower south of 301/321 S. Wacker

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...fre-story.html
__________________
BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1012  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:26 PM
vexxed82's Avatar
vexxed82 vexxed82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Yes ^

Think of the floor with all of the diagonal beams as a single truss... similar to a truss that holds up a bridge. And, like a bridge truss, (or a 'space frame', which is just a different kind of truss) every 'bottom structural point', if you will, does not need to be supported to maintain the structural integrity of the overall truss.

Having said that, if you look closely, the diagonal columns that are transferring the dead loads from above directly to the level 1 columns appear to be sized just a little bit larger to account for those loads... and although it's been a long time since my undergrad structures course, I would suspect the diagonals that are 'not connected' are actually in 'tension', meaning they are 'hanging' the floor below while the others are in 'compression' that are actually transferring the vertical loads to the ground level angled columns.

The angled beams in the 2nd floor appear to be simply adding additional 'shear' strength to the floor for what appears to be kind of a cantilever where the 'missing' vertical columns would have been.
Ahh ok! This helps explain a lot. Thank you! It's very fascinating how that one detail totally changes how I "see" the loads transferring when I assume they're hanging that part of the beam. Wild.
__________________
Nick Ulivieri | instagram | twitter | Facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1013  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 8:02 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not really a fan of the building design, but at least there's a cool rendering from the site's main page:
Thanks for the link. https://320southcanal.com/ has a really snazzy/jazzy video too of the project I haven't seen. It shows an entrance to 'Union Station Tower' from Union Station. I believe I read somewhere that they will be connected underground. Presumeably they'll have to dig up Jackson at some point to do this. Not sure the timing of that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1014  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 8:08 PM
southoftheloop southoftheloop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 26
^That new video is really something
__________________
Dump Trump
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1015  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 8:12 PM
AMWChicago's Avatar
AMWChicago AMWChicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 194
I'm over at Roosevelt and Wabash and have been waiting for the core to poke through. It finally has!

Very excited to see what sort of presence it gives from my view!

IMG_4352 by Andrew W, on Flickr
IMG_4351 by Andrew W, on Flickr
IMG_4348 by Andrew W, on Flickr
IMG_4350 by Andrew W, on Flickr
__________________
Please Skyscraper Gods, let Tribune East happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1016  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:48 PM
Ned.B Ned.B is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Thanks for the link. https://320southcanal.com/ has a really snazzy/jazzy video too of the project I haven't seen. It shows an entrance to 'Union Station Tower' from Union Station. I believe I read somewhere that they will be connected underground. Presumeably they'll have to dig up Jackson at some point to do this. Not sure the timing of that.
The underground connection actually already exists under Canal. It's the same that previously connected the station to its parking garage. It's a little less glamorous than the video portrays, connecting to the concourse near baggage rather than from the Great Hall. Developers and the station have previously looked at connections under Jackson, but it is too encumbered with utilities and the station's own underground driveways to make a link.

In either case most of Canal Street does not require digging, because it's actually a viaduct from roughly Van Buren to Washington and tracks 1 and 3, and 2 and 4 pass underneath it. There is a plan to reconstruct Canal Street in the near future as the 100+ year old structure is regularly dropping spalled concrete on the tracks and is the cause of regular leaks over the portion of the station concourse that exists under the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1017  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 6:08 PM
Skyguy_7's Avatar
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,583
That video is jazzy indeed. I've just realized that FINALLY we will see something other than round V-bracing/columns! It appears they've selected hexagon cladding for the V-bracing here. HALLELUJA Looks great!
__________________
SAVE CAPITALISM 2020
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1018  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 9:11 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,825
Oct 29









__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1019  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:09 AM
Sohcatoah Sohcatoah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 45
It is funny because the reason I don't like this building is because it resembles 110 N Wacker so much. However, if I were to ignore the time of construction and the height, I actually like the geometry of this building more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1020  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:31 PM
Ned.B Ned.B is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 532
^Right. I actually feel like this is going to be the more interesting of the two.

Also the lowrise cell of the core is just about to drop off. Floor 15, which is the tall floor right below the climbing formwork in Harry's photos is the last floor before the first setback.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.