HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:06 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Don't-hold-your-breath plans for a new Amtrak and bus station in La Junta (source). It would go next to the existing terrible station, which sadly replaced a lovely historic one in 1955.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:08 PM

PS: In case you're curious about La Junta Transit, yes it does exist.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:24 PM

That architecturally (at least) old station was a gem. What a loss.

I'm at least mildly surprised with there transit service. Some interesting factoids:
  • The bus will stop at any safe location along the route (when hailed)
  • Fare is 50 cents unless you want to deviate from normal route; then the fare is one $
  • No car batteries or fuel cans meaning we're not here to serve your car needs
  • Walmart trips on Friday starting at 8:00 A.M. Better reserve your seat the day before.
I can recall going through La Junta in my earlier days. Although I poked around a bit, I mostly stopped to pee, to gas up and to eat before heading back down the road. Just call me Easy Rider.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 8:25 AM

La Junta isn't as cute as Trinidad, but there's a nice enough little town there once you get off US-50. My photos, mostly from 2005.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 8:06 PM

I see you got a shot of Malouff Ave. How funny; fun photos.

I grew up in 'small town America' so I always enjoy the ambiance. I see where Sonic is fairly prominent. They've had a resurgence and there's a Sonic five minutes from where my son lives.

Nice train shots. Impressive the number of 'big ole trees.' It's obvious they've had 'periods' of relative prosperity by the number of nice structures. I suspect that Kit Carson Fine Foods and Lounge was well known for its steaks. Who couldn't appreciate the Book Stop and Peace Academy?

I had to refresh my memory. It was like 1974 when I picked up a 'transitional' job as a traveling sales guy. I'd spend maybe a week cruising Hwy 50 all the way to Dodge Kansas.

Trinidad is definitely cool; stayed their a couple of times. I can recall how CDOT improvements left them with some really nice new trails.

My Dad moved down to Phoenix early 1970's then later up to Prescott so I've worn a path between Denver. Going I typically preferred a route through Durango and taking Hwy 160 through Alamosa and Pagosa Springs was one option; Pagosa Springs area is beautiful. More often I'd drive west-SW out of Denver. But returning is when you're in more of a hurry so I'd often go via I-25.

Thanks for the memories.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:44 PM

Wanna talk about South Campus? Me neither.

But wanna talk about this article from the Colorado Sun about small towns and housing shortages? No, because they're not on the Front Range? Well fu-- oh wait... TakeFive will still talk about it? Cool.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:11 PM

Been talking about this article all day. It's literally, "We've tried nothing, and nothing is helping!" How about not having 90% of your city zoned for single family homes so you don't have to acquire more land and extend services. Charles Marohn is probably spinning in his office chair right now.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwentyone View Post
Wanna talk about South Campus? Me neither.

But wanna talk about this article from the Colorado Sun about small towns and housing shortages? No, because they're not on the Front Range? Well fu-- oh wait... TakeFive will still talk about it? Cool.
I've traveled through Mancos many times on my way to Mesa Verde or between Denver and Phoenix. I've driven the Million Dollar Highway many times as well.

This is a beautiful building:

Source

Do I recall correctly that you once lived in Alamosa?

I love SW Colorado and that stretch between Durango and Pagosa Springs is absolutely one of my favorite parts of Colorado.

Do you know who lived in Pagosa before his untimely death from prostrate cancer? I believe his widow still lives there.

One of my all-time favorites, this video taps into my sentimental side.

My brothers' lives were Different
For they heard another call
One went to Chicago
And the other to St. Paul
And I'm in Colorado
When I'm not in some hotel
Living out this life I've chose
And come to know so well.

Video Link

In the case of Mancos at least it's not a place where nobody wants to live.

Last edited by TakeFive; Oct 20, 2021 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 7:46 PM

Mountain communities will ask voters to pass tax increases to help with housing
Oct 22, 2021 By: Meghan Lopez - The Denver Channel
Quote:
All across Colorado, finding affordable housing has become much more of a challenge in recent years. In November, voters in several mountain areas will also be asked whether they want to raise some taxes to help tackle the crisis.

In Avon, voters are facing a ballot question about raising the tax on short-term rental properties like AirBnbs and VRBOs to help fund housing projects. Crested Butte is also asking its voters in November for a similar .5% sales tax increase to help with housing.

Other mountain towns like Telluride, Ouray and Leadville are also considering similar measures.
What about Summit County?
Quote:
Summit County is not asking for any new taxes to help pay for affordable housing. Instead, the county commissioners have put a question on the ballot asking voters to extend a current sales tax to help. "In Summit County, we’re extremely lucky that we’ve had voter support in the past for funding initiatives that are directly related to housing. Many of our workforce development in Summit County were built using those funds in the past,” commissioner Tamara Pogue said.
------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwentyone View Post
But wanna talk about this article from the Colorado Sun about small towns and housing shortages[/URL]? No, because they're not on the Front Range? Well fu-- oh wait... TakeFive will still talk about it? Cool.
IIRC, CDOT has previously awarded grants for rural communities for "Main Street" type of improvements.

It occurred to me that with the pending passage of the Federal Infrastructure Bill that the STATE could potentially fund projects for infrastructure like utilities, Broadband and primary access roads to towns that plan for affordable housing additions. Places like Mancos or La Junta, Trinidad etc. Amounts that would barely move the needle in urban Denver could do a lot for smaller towns.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:24 AM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoung View Post
Raising this thread from the dead.

The proposed building height has been increased to 36 stories and 400 feet. It would be the tallest in the Springs by at least 150 feet. It is being proposed by a group called VeLa Development. The building would contain +/-490 units.

Here is a rendering:

Nor'wood Development is also proposing a 12 story, 194,000 square foot office building on the parking lot in the upper left side of the apartment building. It would be the first new office building in downtown CS since 2001.

Here is a rendering of that building:

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 1:45 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Are we raising it from the dead because there are stirrings that any of these might actually go? Seems like rough times for either.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West