HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This is interesting as well.

At 3:51 in this 10 minute video...you see the arrival at LAX of Kennedy and Stevenson for the 1960 Democratic Convention. (This was a mere 16 days after I was born!)

Click here > filmothek

I am trying to figure out who this is at 4:13.

He's making an introduction and has a Massachusetts accent. (but I don't recognize him)

Oh..and watch for Eleanor Roosevelt at the 4:08 mark.

I don't know who that fellow is-- looks vaguely familiar--but here is native Angeleno Adlai Stevenson's birthplace--2439 Monmouth Ave. (Maybe we've seen it here before....)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:

Click here > filmothek

I am trying to figure out who this is at 4:13.

He's making an introduction and has a Massachusetts accent. (but I don't recognize him)

US Senator from Idaho, Frank Church.

"Waiting on Wilshire."

https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleite...hotos/id/36997

1939 - Making good time on Wilshire (looking East from Rossmore)

https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleite...hotos/id/11448

Last edited by Godzilla; Sep 10, 2019 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:

When a person thinks of cantilevered architecture most think of FLW's Fallingwater.

Few remember the cantilevered wing at the Huntington Hotel in Pasadena. [shown below]

The Huntington Hotel and Swimming Pool, Pasadena California.

Seriously now:

Is it just me, or is this rppc creating an optical illusion?

eBay

ebay

Still looking for the Olympic Pool. Maybe it was in a building or even underground. Who knows?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:59 AM

I'll help you search, CBD.

We'll get to the bottom of this.
........................................................Blub. Blub.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
US Senator from Idaho, Frank Church.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks Godzilla. I would have never figured it out.

He sounds like he has an east coast accent. I thought he might be a relative of the Kennedys.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'll help you search, CBD.

We'll get to the bottom of this.
........................................................Blub. Blub.
We see the smaller hotel size pool but where O where is the big Olympic pool?

That would be a great help ER. Thanks for your kind offer.

Olympic Pools are located at universities and International sports sites, so this is really rare to have such a huge pool at a medium size hotel.

I believe there is an Olympic Pool near the Coliseum in Los Angeles but I'll have to check to be sure. Anyone know?

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:05 PM

I think the Huntington Hotel pool met the size specifications for the olympic sport of Aquatic Catwalking.

Here's the 1935 freestyle final with the ten finalists. Only four were allowed over the water at one time as per the rules.

Original - historichotelsthenandnow.com

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Sep 10, 2019 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I believe there is an Olympic Pool near the Coliseum in Los Angeles but I'll have to check to be sure. Anyone know?
This is the pool built for the 1932 Olympics. The Coliseum is upper right.

_________

EDIT: Had a computer malfunction when I posted this. See complete post: #52551

Last edited by Martin Pal; Sep 10, 2019 at 8:20 PM. Reason: info

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

I think the Huntington Hotel pool met the size specifications for the olympic sport of Aquatic Catwalking.

Here's the 1935 freestyle final with the ten finalists. Only four were allowed over the water at one time as per the rules.

Original - historichotelsthenandnow.com

I have to agree Noir Noir and your comment is hilarious. Yes, that day was quite the event. Fancy white table cloth luncheon poolside with the added attraction of an over-the-water fashion show.

Why didn't they do it at the Olympic pool? Like me, maybe they couldn't find it.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:12 PM

Below is "then and now" comparison of the Huntington pool at the right of each image. The one on the left is from 1937. Google's measuring tool gives the current length of the pool as about 70ft (about 76ft to the semi-circle), which seems in keeping with the 78ft length of the adjacent tennis courts.

mil.library.ucsb.edu/GSV

The 1928 aerial is a lot more blurry, but the pool doesn't appear any larger. I was just beginning to think that the Huntington never had an Olympic-sized pool when I found the following information in Langham's own guide. The reason it doesn't show up in aerials is because it went under the Picture Bridge. I notice they've used the same picture that was found by Noir_Noir. NB. The map is roughly upside-down. Highlighting is mine.

www.langhamhotels.com (PDF file)

Now we just need a view looking under the bridge!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
This is the pool built for the 1932 Olympics. You can see the Coliseum in the upper right.

TimeOut

In this aerial the swim stadium is at upper right.

WikiWand

The Front:

Wikipedia

It is now called the LA84 Foundation/John C. Argue Swim Stadium.
Some great photos of the location at this link:
https://archinect.com/firms/project/...epicc/80607707

The 1984 Olympics built a new swim stadium, with help from McDonald's, on the USC Campus, near Heritage Hall, I believe. For near thirty years it was called the McDonald's Swim Stadium until it was refurbished and now has a new name, the Uytengsu Aquatics Center. I can't find an aerial showing it's proximity to the Coliseum, but here's a photo of it.

Daily Trojan

Here's a temporary design for the next L.A. Olympics. It would cover USC's baseball field, Dedeaux Field, and would be a temporary facility.

Dedeaux Field

As you can see, the McDonald's Swim Stadium/Uytengsu Aquatics Center is on the center left. I believe it would be used for training. It looks like they
want to sell more tickets, hence a temporary stadium. Also, in the distance, the Los Angeles Coliseum is on the horizon.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 9:52 PM

Looking at Wikipedia, I discover that a 25 meter (82 ft) pool qualified as an "Olympic Pool" back in the day. So if there was 12 feet of pool under the Picture Bridge back then the Huntington Pool made it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympi..._swimming_pool

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Now we just need a view looking under the bridge!

Facebook - Langham Pasadena

Looking towards the Picture Bridge end in 1939 - the pool stops short. If it did extend to under the bridge sometime in the
preceding thirteen years, it might give another ten to maybe twelve feet length as Earl Boebert suggests. That would still
make it only half the length of an Olympic pool and it was always much too narrow anyway. I doubt it was ever touted in
any seriousness back then as an Olympic size pool. The pools for the 1928 (Amsterdam) and 1932 (Los Angeles) Olympics
were both 50m long.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 1:06 AM

odinthor says...

"It's starting to look to me as if the "Olympic" designation might just be fairly modern advertising ballyhoo by the hotel."

And he might be right.

from the LA Times 10/31/93

Here's a reference to the 'Olympic-sized pool' in the book, Built to Last by Stanley Turkel. (a book about hotels which are 100+ years old)

The 'Olympic-sized swimming pool' seems to have taken on a life of its own.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2019 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:36 AM
BANNED

I notice that several of NLA's illustrious posters have really sliced it and diced it but no one has yet to find an ''Olympic Pool" at the Huntington Hotel.

Its the difference between a cookie or a cake and the pool at the Huntington still comes up as a cookie.

Thanks everyone....maybe in the Hotel brochure hype they meant a miniature Olympic pool because it falls far short of the real thing.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 11, 2019 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:29 AM

A long, long time ago we discussed a circus' winter headquarters that was (if I remember correctly) located in an area west of Culver City. . .

. . . but I don't recall the Tom Mix Circus Winter Quarters in, of all places, Compton!

Steve Minor at flickr

The photograph was taken by Mr. Minor's father.

flickr

Here's a closer look.....1934-1938: Four years at the height of the Depression.

flickr

...........Is anyone, here on NLA, aware of this place? ....Wouldn't it be amazing if the building has survived......I wonder where (in Compton) it was located?

If we have discussed this before..just shoot me..............................................................................

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2019 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:01 AM

OK, here's what I did regarding the Huntington's Olympic/non-Olympic pool:

I measured the existing pool using Google Earth. It came out 82 feet from the edge of the bridge to the furthest point in the arced "cutout" in the North edge.

I measured the width of the pool using Google Earth and it came out 20 feet.

I measured the length of the roof on the house across Wentworth Ave to calibrate the measuring tool in my graphics program (Graphic Converter).

I then took a screen shot of the 1928 aerial and viewed it at 300%. It appears that the pool was rectangular (no arced "cutout" at the North end). I calibrated the measuring tool using the roof line and measured the pool from the North end to the bridge and its width. It came out 87 feet long and 26 feet wide, or 25 meters and a bit long and 8 meters wide. This is a plausible size for a "junior" Olympic-sized pool with touch boards and four 2 meter wide lanes.

So a *possible* explanation is that a "junior Olympic" pool was installed in 1926, promoted as an "Olympic Sized Pool" and later it was narrowed and the fancy North end shape made by filling in the corners.

FWIW

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
OK, here's what I did regarding the Huntington's Olympic/non-Olympic pool:

I measured the existing pool using Google Earth. It came out 82 feet from the edge of the bridge to the furthest point in the arced "cutout" in the North edge.

I measured the width of the pool using Google Earth and it came out 20 feet.

I measured the length of the roof on the house across Wentworth Ave to calibrate the measuring tool in my graphics program (Graphic Converter).

I then took a screen shot of the 1928 aerial and viewed it at 300%. It appears that the pool was rectangular (no arced "cutout" at the North end). I calibrated the measuring tool using the roof line and measured the pool from the North end to the bridge and its width. It came out 87 feet long and 26 feet wide, or 25 meters and a bit long and 8 meters wide. This is a plausible size for a "junior" Olympic-sized pool with touch boards and four 2 meter wide lanes.

So a *possible* explanation is that a "junior Olympic" pool was installed in 1926, promoted as an "Olympic Sized Pool" and later it was narrowed and the fancy North end shape made by filling in the corners.

FWIW

Cheers,

Earl
Good job Earl:

The miniature Olympic pool at the hotel is a scam because the ''olympic'' laps you swim are across the [B]width[B] and not the length of an official Olympic size Pool. It appears to me that the hotel was really playing a joke on the public.

I would call the whole affair false advertising. The tourists could go back home to Indiana or wherever and brag that they swam in an Olympic pool, when in actuality it was no such item..

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 11, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:

. . . but I don't recall the Tom Mix Circus Winter Quarters in, of all places, Compton!

Steve Minor at flickr

...........Was anyone here aware of this place? ....Wouldn't it be amazing if the building has survived......I wonder where (in Compton) it was located?

May not be the location in your picture e_r but in 1935 the Tom Mix Circus winter quarters was in a Samson Tire plant.

archive.org - Variety - November 1935

I guess this means an old Samson Tire location in Compton - the company moved to the City Of Commerce in 1928.

The only address I can find for Samson in Compton.

rescarta.lapl.org

Terebinth is now W. Palmer Street.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Sep 11, 2019 at 3:33 PM. Reason: Replaced graphic

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
This is the pool built for the 1932 Olympics. You can see the Coliseum in the upper right.

TimeOut

In this aerial the swim stadium is at upper right.

WikiWand

The Front:

Wikipedia

It is now called the LA84 Foundation/John C. Argue Swim Stadium.
Some great photos of the location at this link:
https://archinect.com/firms/project/...epicc/80607707

The 1984 Olympics built a new swim stadium, with help from McDonald's, on the USC Campus, near Heritage Hall, I believe. For near thirty years it was called the McDonald's Swim Stadium until it was refurbished and now has a new name, the Uytengsu Aquatics Center. I can't find an aerial showing it's proximity to the Coliseum, but here's a photo of it.

Daily Trojan

Here's a temporary design for the next L.A. Olympics. It would cover USC's baseball field, Dedeaux Field, and would be a temporary facility.

Dedeaux Field

As you can see, the McDonald's Swim Stadium/Uytengsu Aquatics Center is on the center left. I believe it would be used for training. It looks like they
want to sell more tickets, hence a temporary stadium. Also, in the distance, the Los Angeles Coliseum is on the horizon.
Wow, I didn't know about this. I wonder if the USC Baseball team will have to play elsewhere for the 2028 season (they generally play into mid-May, and the games would probably be in July or August like 1984, I suspect they would need more than 2-3 months for construction.

Unlike the 1984 games, I won't be in the middle of all that working (I worked for the USC Bookstore back then). In 2028, I will have been retired for several years (and also I no longer live in Southern California)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos