HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:35 AM

Looks like they took a rest....the machines weren't moving when I was there, but it does look like they took a few more chunks out....

022 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

023 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

026 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

027 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

028 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

030 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

043 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:50 AM

9/20:
019 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

022 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

I'm guessing they are just going to take those two bays down and leave the rest for now....
025 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

New walkway wrapping up (pretty much finished inside)
027 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 11:20 AM

Bridge is finished and it looks great from the inside. Much wider than the former. Penn Tower the building is slated to start preparing to come down October 5th-7th. It depends how fast they can remove the remaining items after this weekend.

The scaffolding for the new Bridge will start to come down this week as they finish the drainage pipes under the bridge.

I will be cuious to see what happens with studies on Perelman in regards to possible sinkhole/Foundation issues that have been progressing over the last 6-12 months.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 12:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I will be cuious to see what happens with studies on Perelman in regards to possible sinkhole/Foundation issues that have been progressing over the last 6-12 months.
What sinkhole / foundation issues are you talking about?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 9:48 PM

Picture from 10/7. They're doing most demo and site prep in the evening/night. Anyone have more info about the building plans? They chose Foster + Partners and the construction firms way back in January. I'd figure they'd have at least some prelim plans and renderings to show publicly by now.

And, as a reminder, aerial of the site before demo began:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxean View Post
Picture from 10/7. They're doing most demo and site prep in the evening/night. Anyone have more info about the building plans? They chose Foster + Partners and the construction firms way back in January. I'd figure they'd have at least some prelim plans and renderings to show publicly by now.
A few preliminary renderings have floated around... nothing official yet though. Check the first page.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
What sinkhole / foundation issues are you talking about?
The valet driveway has quite the slope. They have filled a couple areas a few months back, but the slope where the building ends below grade has gotten worse.

Architects and contractors from Driscoll have been out there surveying.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:35 PM

The Original Philly Special. Glad to see this turd go, hopefully it shifts the architectural zeitgeist away from bland-box design into more creative and thoughtful arenas.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 3:20 AM

Garage down completely:
041 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

044 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Ceiling tiles have been removed from inside the bridge at left:
045 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

046 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

047 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 4:36 AM

Such a beautiful thing to see garages being demo'd. I think a city's time has come when you see lots of garages coming down. Finally, after 60+ years, decision makers are seeing that downtown land is the best place to leverage human capital to create the greatest value.

Someday - soon, hopefully - people will look back in disbelief at the ridiculousness of the last many decades when a primary function of CBD land was to serve the dehumanized industrial need of storing tens of thousands of vehicles in lifeless structures essentially devoid of human activity and interaction.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 6:37 AM

parking spot's demise was imminent .

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:45 AM

HUP 2.0 Illustrations

I'm surprised these haven't hit the press yet that I can tell, they certainly look "finished".

Here is an illustration of the new HUP Inpatient tower with the museum on the left and part of the existing Perelman complex on the right.

This one is closer and shows some of the inside, with the museum still on the left.

This shows what the inside may look like, from the inside with museum on the right.

This one shows how the walkway between the new tower and the brick museum will be done up so people can walk from and to the train station.

A night-time view that shows how it would look with Smilow and the new CHOP ambulatory tower in the same view.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:49 AM

Early mockup of a partial room.

The patient rooms will all be private/solo rooms. Here is a partial illustration of the inside of one, note the view.

I'd imagine much of the room design will change/evolve before its built. This shot makes me (almost, not really) want to get sick enough to get admitted.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:58 AM

^^The building looks amazing. Both from a design and patient viewpoint.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:31 AM

This one looks great! Very different from most Philly buildings. I like the curves

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
This one looks great! Very different from most Philly buildings. I like the curves
The pedestrian path to UC regional rail is key. The route by Franklin Field is just such an out-of-the-way path to get to this huge dense hospital complex.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 7:24 AM

Last edited by ajaxean; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 1:50 PM

I won't be that quick to judge. It's Lord Norman Foster -- that's very, very top tier. Let's see all the renderings/presentations etc.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxean View Post
I have to stick to my guns and say that this design is a pretty serious disappointment for a >$1 Billion project ($1.5 BIL according to Philly Business Journal). When you get the whole picture of the building, it's pretty bland and uninspired, and doesn't really communicate well with anything nearby.
I don't know how you can say it doesn't communicate well with anything nearby. It clearly plays off of the rotunda from the Museum of Anthropology and draws similarities to CHOP's Buerger center as well

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
I won't be that quick to judge. It's Lord Norman Foster -- that's very, very top tier. Let's see all the renderings/presentations etc.
This is pretty meaningless. Norman Foster is a great architect but this project, from the admittedly no-so-great renderings we've seen so far, isn't anything spectacular, bold, or exciting. It's nice enough sure, but it doesn't scream "starchitect" - looks something any decent firm could have cranked out. I'm still eager to see more renderings.

The Chicago hospital building looks amazing but is suited to fit into a downtown grid, which this site is not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive