HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So what did he get out of being Premier?
His ego fed, that's it. He was the worst premier of my lifetime although I was too young to remember Sterling Lyon so I'll leave him out of the discussion.

The others had their faults but at least they tried.

I will give Pallister credit for one thing, I don't think he was dishonest or a crook in any way. But apart from that I think he was mediocre. Manitobans elected him to right the ship after some rough NDP years, not to take some sort of hard line on extreme austerity measures.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:26 AM
BANNED

Gotta love how snow removal crews left no grass unturned on the boulevards on both Murnoe and Talbot, drove down both today and it looked like a farmer took a disker to both!

Bomberjet?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:40 AM

Quote:
haha tongue in cheek.

Did Brian P sell the mansion? Totally bailed out. So what did he get out of being Premier?
yep he sold it apparently moved to an undisclosed Winnipeg condo location

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...575631122.html

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Gotta love how snow removal crews left no grass unturned on the boulevards on both Murnoe and Talbot, drove down both today and it looked like a farmer took a disker to both!

Bomberjet?
So bad. Brand new Munroe, like finished in October. And grass torn to shit. It's from the wing on the grader they use to push the snowbanks back. That guy tore up the whole thing. Peeled back like a potato peeler.

It's like driving your brand new car off the lot and straight into the median barrier.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 4:22 AM

Quote:
So bad. Brand new Munroe, like finished in October. And grass torn to shit. It's from the wing on the grader they use to push the snowbanks back. That guy tore up the whole thing. Peeled back like a potato peeler.

It's like driving your brand new car off the lot and straight into the median barrier.
Is there any damage to the road and curbs?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 4:43 AM

Not sure. There's probably some minor damage. Pretty sure most of the curbs are cast monolithic with the road slab. So they should hold up decently well.

The damaged grass was like a black scar in the white snow.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I will give Pallister credit for one thing, I don't think he was dishonest or a crook in any way.
Credit where it's due: he wasn't blatantly ripping us all off to enrich himself and his friends. But let's not get carried away. Not dishonest?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Credit where it's due: he wasn't blatantly ripping us all off to enrich himself and his friends. But let's not get carried away. Not dishonest?
Not in the Katz way. So points for that. But he was pretty straight up about his intentions right from the start.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 3:24 PM

Give him credit for sacrificing whatever was left of his reputation for the 'good' of the Province. Social warrior that Brian P. haha

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the city will expect Bayview to warranty the damage to the sod?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
MTS, BellMTS. Pretty sure he, Filmon and others made a whole lot of money.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder if the city will expect Bayview to warranty the damage to the sod?
I think the city takes over sod after one month, not like the one year warranty on paving. Bayview might have even been responsible for clearing their road if it's on warranty, not the normal snow-clearing contractors. I haven't worked on a road job in 10 years, so things could be different.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 6:06 PM

I called 311 and apparently the excuse being used is the sod was laid down late in the fall and had not taken root enough to be frozen into the soil it was laid down on.

There are a number of locations in the city that have the problem with the new sod being removed by the plows.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 9:55 PM

I know this is a little 'pie in the sky', but I really wish that in inner city neighbourhoods where walking is common, the city would plow the sidewalks to pavement. The 'plow to snow pack' has created incredibly slippery conditions in West Broadway. I have to pay attention when I'm walking to not slip. It makes it very tempting to just drive.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 11:04 PM

This year is especially difficult in some locations due to the ice build up from earlier. I noticed plowing didn't really start until 3 days after the snowfall. What's up with that.

I live adjacent to 3 bus routes and the sidewalks were just plowed last night.

This isnt an either or with roads being plowed. It's different machines, different crews. Not sure why it takes so long. I used to plow sidewalks for 2 winters. Maybe it was due to the holiday, which is BS.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 11:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
This year is especially difficult in some locations due to the ice build up from earlier. I noticed plowing didn't really start until 3 days after the snowfall. What's up with that.

I live adjacent to 3 bus routes and the sidewalks were just plowed last night.

This isnt an either or with roads being plowed. It's different machines, different crews. Not sure why it takes so long. I used to plow sidewalks for 2 winters. Maybe it was due to the holiday, which is BS.
maybe one of the logistics people retired? or some weird internatal city politics

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 11:39 PM

I think the quality of the sidewalk plow also depends on how much blade downforce is used by the operator. If they use too much then he/she gets a good jarring when the blade hits a section of sidewalk that has heaved up a bit.

If the blade floats it moves most of the snow and makes for a more comfortable / faster ride.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 4:20 AM

I found on the city website there are 3 maps available that show what gets plowed when

Sidewalks:

https://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/snow...k-priority.stm

Roads:

https://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/snow...t-priority.stm

AT Routes

https://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/snow...n-priority.stm

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I know this is a little 'pie in the sky', but I really wish that in inner city neighbourhoods where walking is common, the city would plow the sidewalks to pavement. The 'plow to snow pack' has created incredibly slippery conditions in West Broadway. I have to pay attention when I'm walking to not slip. It makes it very tempting to just drive.
Cleared sidewalks should be anything but pie in the sky.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:02 PM

The City snow clearing policy states that when the road is plowed, typically the adjacent sidewalks are plowed at a similar time. All based on the priority rankings.

It just seemed really slow. Sure there was 20cm of snow. But it took days to see a plow on the front street. Which is a P2 but also a busy bus route. Streets are all cleared now. Sidewalks are decent, but partially blocked at the intersections by the street plows piling snow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan