HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 8:04 PM
There is always a way

I think you could get away with a spui at lag/Fermor if lag got moved a little east. Then the rest of the project could be to trench lag down so that you could run a simple bridge between cottonwood and the east side access. Moving lag a little east would spare the petro and whatever and the existing ROW is pretty wide
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 8:05 PM

Get'r done!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 8:40 PM

It's a Red River Co-OP being built at the south east corner. and over by the Petro Canada, there's also a Tim Hortons there so expropriation would cost even more.

isnt' there a way to make that road go right through Spring church?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 10:55 PM

That light at cottonwood is everything that is wrong with Winnipeg …all they have to do is tie it into the springs church light. This stretch has always been my favorite because it’s got the babybone characteristics of a freeway.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 12:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
That light at cottonwood is everything that is wrong with Winnipeg …all they have to do is tie it into the springs church light. This stretch has always been my favorite because it’s got the babybone characteristics of a freeway.
Drove that stretch today and thought wha the F with a new light at Cottonwood, so a new light for a Coop gas bar to go along with the one for the business called Springs Church, two friggin lights that went in the last decade where there were once none.

Winnipeg infrastructure planning at its finest!

Also noticed that Fermor east of Lag. has two entrances and exits in the south side waiting for further development guess more traffic signals in the future for the ever expanding Sage Creek area.

Other cities expand arterial roadways, here we add traffic lights!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:18 AM

The Fermor thing at least has only one set of lights. The other access points are RIRO.

The development community has Winnipeg by the balls. Sage Creek for example. What a shit show. There should be one interchange on Lag and one on Bishop. That's it. No other access points. No lights. And Sage Creek should pay for it.

Waverley West. Same story.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 3:28 AM

Just a rough idea based on bomberjet's post, probably a million things wrong with it but I like the look of the realignment of Lag

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 5:52 AM
There is always a way

So my take on this is that the whole thing should be looked at more in context. I did the access to the little residential across from the Mint to be a sort of combined diamond with Fermor. The Patterson access is closed completely as is Cottonwood. I maintain the crossing over Lag at Cottonwood so that it's still possible to go back and forth - and in retrospect probably can leave the
Patterson to Springs crossing too, just no access to Lag itself. The plan would also require some substantial upgrades to the surrounding smaller roads to help with access from certain properties, but all in all, shouldn't require a huge amount of property acquisition.

My plan would have Lag dug down several meters and have MSE walls and embankments to allow for the steep slopes required for the road to be that low. The idea would be that all the crossings would not require building up and be essentially at grade.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post

So my take on this is that the whole thing should be looked at more in context. I did the access to the little residential across from the Mint to be a sort of combined diamond with Fermor. The Patterson access is closed completely as is Cottonwood. I maintain the crossing over Lag at Cottonwood so that it's still possible to go back and forth - and in retrospect probably can leave the
Patterson to Springs crossing too, just no access to Lag itself. The plan would also require some substantial upgrades to the surrounding smaller roads to help with access from certain properties, but all in all, shouldn't require a huge amount of property acquisition.

My plan would have Lag dug down several meters and have MSE walls and embankments to allow for the steep slopes required for the road to be that low. The idea would be that all the crossings would not require building up and be essentially at grade.
This looks great! Love it! I think it would be a good idea to add a flyover at Patterson to cut down on the potential through traffic on Lochmoor, other than that, it looks great!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 7:53 PM

So the going assumption is that this interchange will be free-flow for Lag and Fermor will get lights correct? When I first saw it on the city's long term plan I imagined free flow in both directions but that would be immensely more extensive project than the city will ever bother with.

I just have a hard time grasping that of all the intersections in the city, this is the one that the city feels needs to be singled out as needing an interchange in medium-long term planning.
-The intersection isn't crazy backed up, usually one or two light cycles in rush hour. They just upgraded fermor to two turning lanes but Lag still has just one turn lane to exit so traffic volumes aren't overwhelming.
-Both routes have a couple of lights (or will have lights) in a short distance in all directions.
-The eventual inner ring road will connect Bishop near Plessis where it will arguably remove traffic from Lag just a couple of kilometers east of this intersection and be a better candidate for an interchange

It just seems like a Marion and Archibald scenario all over again, where the plan is overkill when there are much better candidates throughout the city that could use the upgrade well before this. Ones I can think of:
CPT and Henderson
CPT and Lag
Regent and Lag
Any of the CPT at-grade intersections they are planning on with the west extension could be an interchange off the hop.
Everything on Bishop
Lag and Bishop

I guess I don't have all the traffic numbers and this is just a rant, but something isn't sitting right with that priority. Maybe someone that uses that route daily can comment more.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 8:15 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
So the going assumption is that this interchange will be free-flow for Lag and Fermor will get lights correct? When I first saw it on the city's long term plan I imagined free flow in both directions but that would be immensely more extensive project than the city will ever bother with.

I just have a hard time grasping that of all the intersections in the city, this is the one that the city feels needs to be singled out as needing an interchange in medium-long term planning.
-The intersection isn't crazy backed up, usually one or two light cycles in rush hour. They just upgraded fermor to two turning lanes but Lag still has just one turn lane to exit so traffic volumes aren't overwhelming.
-Both routes have a couple of lights (or will have lights) in a short distance in all directions.
-The eventual inner ring road will connect Bishop near Plessis where it will arguably remove traffic from Lag just a couple of kilometers east of this intersection and be a better candidate for an interchange

It just seems like a Marion and Archibald scenario all over again, where the plan is overkill when there are much better candidates throughout the city that could use the upgrade well before this. Ones I can think of:
CPT and Henderson
CPT and Lag
Regent and Lag
Any of the CPT at-grade intersections they are planning on with the west extension could be an interchange off the hop.
Everything on Bishop
Lag and Bishop

I guess I don't have all the traffic numbers and this is just a rant, but something isn't sitting right with that priority. Maybe someone that uses that route daily can comment more.
The eventual inner ring goes too far out. We need a proper freeway that can get you closer to downtown than plessis. I don’t think that this is another Archibald scenario. Archibald was never conceived as a highway whereas Lagimodiere has been all along, we just have idiot planners

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
If Lag went underground and Fermor got an overpass, they could build a diverging intersection at ground level to handle left turns. That would allow free flow in both directions without being an entirely free-flow interchange (or the expense and demands on space that entails. It would also make the AT paths easier to use since they'd only have to navigate a smaller intersection. Bigger interchanges meaningfully wipe out the AT paths, unless they're accounted for with their own tunnels and bridges (and we all know they wouldn't be).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 2:49 PM

I'm pretty sure the City had been looking at some type of systems interchange at Fermor so both routes are free flow. But who knows if any of that will ever happen.

We should be designing for it. Both those sketches look great. A little tweaking here and there. But in general, that's it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 4:24 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm pretty sure the City had been looking at some type of systems interchange at Fermor so both routes are free flow. But who knows if any of that will ever happen.

We should be designing for it. Both those sketches look great. A little tweaking here and there. But in general, that's it.
Both free flowing eh? The only thing I can imagine is that they wanna put a huge cloverleaf and obliterate anything nearby. I would reject that sort of a solution but if it were a bit more elegant it could be done without too much issue if money were no object. Also, I don’t understand why we insist that any interchange project in Manitoba take up 300 acres. You just know that they would wanna do something totally overkill. Other parts of the world (ie Europe) seem to have no trouble wedging pretty amazing interchanges in small areas. What gives

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 4:28 PM

There is lots of room at that intersection for what it's worth. You move the Petrocan/Tims and you can build a Texas-sized interchange there.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Fermor thing at least has only one set of lights. The other access points are RIRO.

The development community has Winnipeg by the balls. Sage Creek for example. What a shit show. There should be one interchange on Lag and one on Bishop. That's it. No other access points. No lights. And Sage Creek should pay for it.

Waverley West. Same story.
qualico is contributing to the Bishop entrance, can't remember the % but i was surprised at the amount. good on them

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
qualico is contributing to the Bishop entrance, can't remember the % but i was surprised at the amount. good on them
I think it was half of the cost of the road and intersection between Des hivernants and Lag.

Should have been diamonds at Warde and des hivernants on their tab, and part (1/3?) of a system interchange at bishop and Lag.

Same for Waverley west. Diamonds at all 6 intersections where Kenaston is split, diamond at Kenaston and Waverley, and a contribution to Perimeter and Kenaston.

However city is content at being a doormat to developers that build more suburban growth that doesn't pay for it's growth.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 2:42 AM

For those people that like traffic signals Councillor Janet Lukes has announced that she has worked with the RM of McDonald to get two sets installed on McGillivary in the near future

https://janicelukes.ca/blog/two-sets...illivray-blvd/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
For those people that like traffic signals Councillor Janet Lukes has announced that she has worked with the RM of McDonald to get two sets installed on McGillivary in the near future

https://janicelukes.ca/blog/two-sets...illivray-blvd/
Actually quite necessary there in my view. McCreary and McGillivray in particular has become a fairly busy intersection and with traffic moving at fairly high speeds, it's a little dodgy.

I suspect the South Landing intersection could get by without it for the time being, but it will need it eventually.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:40 PM

If you drive on McGillivary it becomes fairly clear that the road is going to get twinned sometime soon from roughly the Costco to the Perimeter. The amount of traffic it is handling it just not sustainable for two lanes and there is no viable alternative route.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan