HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 10:35 PM

@UTEP:

I think we have enough slimness going on for the foreseeable time being.
Don't forget that Chrysler is only 925' to the highest floor and 1,046 to spire top. It's really not as big as it would seem. IMO it's because of it's comparative isolation to the rest of the Midtown cluster.
I may be wrong but there seems to be some sort of unwritten "gentleman's agreement" that no other structure in the immediate area can surpass her.
PS: The render also makes PanAm/MetLife/whatever it turns out to be after the rezonign kicks in look taller than the aforementioned. But it's only 808' to rooftop.
Someone flunked perspective in art class, coz a lot of things in that render look skewed, making the 1 Vandy model look as big as it does.......

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad11 View Post
Given that the Hudson Yards towers are getting underway with high profile tenants (or potential tenants), and the foundation work has already been finished on 2 World Trade (with 3 World Trade likely to rise by early next year)...how likely is it that a tower of this size gets built within the next 5 to 10 years...will there be a realistic need for that much office space (assuming everything that was said about HY and WTC)?
To piggy back of what hunser said, almost 90% of Manhattan's commercial real estate on a square foot basis predates 1970, so there's a lot of pent up demand for new space. Plus, this is about as prime a location as you can get. Park Avenue is probably a little bit more desirable, but this is just about as good a location as you could imagine. Should have no difficulty getting a tenant.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 11:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't see why it's "that much office space".

Manhattan has 500 million square feet of office space, so even a 2 million square foot tower wouldn't even be one half of 1% of the overall office market.
Probably for more modern space. Since alot of the space is very old. Either way it will help keep NYC competitive vs London, Shanghai, ect. More the better !

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
If they slimmed the mid section a bit, it'd be a nice looking tower.
Probably true that it may look better with a slimmed mid-section.

The problem, however, is that this is Midtown office space. You need giant floorplates for financial firms and the like. That's the target market.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 11:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

I don't see this surviving the design portion of the approvals process, but they have to get things underway, and have a few years to get us a design.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
@UTEP:

I think we have enough slimness going on for the foreseeable time being.
Don't forget that Chrysler is only 925' to the highest floor and 1,046 to spire top. It's really not as big as it would seem. IMO it's because of it's comparative isolation to the rest of the Midtown cluster.
I may be wrong but there seems to be some sort of unwritten "gentleman's agreement" that no other structure in the immediate area can surpass her.
PS: The render also makes PanAm/MetLife/whatever it turns out to be after the rezonign kicks in look taller than the aforementioned. But it's only 808' to rooftop.
Someone flunked perspective in art class, coz a lot of things in that render look skewed, making the 1 Vandy model look as big as it does.......
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it needs to be another 432 Park or anything, it's just the way the tower comes together at the top. It has this VERY large base that gradually slims, but then narrows quite dramatically at the top. Just a little awkward looking is all.

I think a minor adjustment would make it look pretty stunning.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
it's just the way the tower comes together at the top. It has this VERY large base that gradually slims, but then narrows quite dramatically at the top. Just a little awkward looking is all.
That's intentional. But don't get too wrapped up in that design, its preliminary, but I do think they are moving in the right direction, especially in terms of public space.

More images from the clip:

The top will be for public use...though it won't look exactly as shown, you get the idea.

Notice the old Hudson Yards models in the background, and one of the new next to Vanderbilt...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Probably true that it may look better with a slimmed mid-section.

The problem, however, is that this is Midtown office space. You need giant floorplates for financial firms and the like. That's the target market.
I like the big mid section, it certifies its massiveness. It is an office building, some people seem to have rather unreasonably expectations for the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy
That's intentional. But don't get too wrapped up in that design, its preliminary, but I do think they are moving in the right direction, especially in terms of public space.
There's nothing that looks "preliminary" about this design, it looks far more complete than many of the first designs we've seen lately for things under construction or about to be. Building a scale mock-up of the tower would seem to suggest this is pretty far along. Whether it has gone through the approval process is another matter, but it looks ready to go. Of course we won't know for awhile yet if it will be built.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
There's nothing that looks "preliminary" about this design, it looks far more complete than many of the first designs we've seen lately for things under construction or about to be.
Look again. It pretty much is the preliminary design. We are years away from getting this thing built, but the approval process for building a tower on site will get underway soon. Eventually it will have to survive a design process. But if that isn't enough for you, consider KPF's design for the Hudson Yards - even after it was revised with two taller towers, the design process didn't stop. What may end up as the final design may look similar in concept, or be something completely different. But some things will remain constant, like public access to the tower. Also keep in mind that there have since been changes made to the Midtown East rezoning (the video presentation was in June) that will allow greater flexibility in design.

__

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 2:18 AM

I want tall towers and I want them now!
I hope the tower ends up different so we don't have a BOA clone.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 2:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
I hope the tower ends up different so we don't have a BOA clone.
It's the lovechild of the BofA and Empire State. Whatever the final design, I do believe we will get some form of spire, so that's a plus. It will be needed.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 2:36 AM
BANNED

Will the East Midtown Rezoning pass in November?

It seems like developers know...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 2:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Will the East Midtown Rezoning pass in November?

It seems like developers know...
Well, the developers have had a hand in helping shape it. But it's up to the city council for final approval. The council could always recommend changes back to city planning.

You know, that rezoning comes with new "powers" for city planning and a new part of the ULURP (approval) process for developers who want to build large - they must provide exceptional designs. And I have to say, while that may be questionable, seeing images like we have seen for this one, I'm glad that part will be there. It's too bad these images were released because it gives more ammunition to those who say we will be crowding out great architecture like the Chrysler Building with these large towers. The Tower Verre didn't survive the approval process unscathed, and there was no design requirement in the process then. So whatever ends up final here better be a lot more than what we've seen so far. I would gladly shoot this one down myself if it came before me in that form.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 2:53 PM

Well, according to this model the Vanderbilt tower is only 360 meters high, whereas the section of the Grand Central Terminal near to them. The Grand Central Terminal is 40 meters high.

I also believe that the project concerns a wild tower that has only 1.2 million square feet, and I think that SL Green wants a tower with at least 2.4-2.5 million square feet.

So, from KPF site we have a new One Vanderbilt sketch.

http://www.kpf.com/profile.overview.asp

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 3:28 PM

I really like the way this tower looks, I just hope we're in for something 1,300+ feet!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 3:34 PM
New Yorker for life

SL Green has been very enthused by the prospect of building a tower here, so however the design turns out eventually, it will be a pretty significant tower.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 3:37 PM

What is their "signature tower"?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 4:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
What is their "signature tower"?

They don't have one. They have the most buildings, but this will be their first ground up tower. That's why they brought in Hines.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 4:18 PM
BANNED

I don't think this building design is worthy of the most lucrative site in the world. It looks like a horrible pastiche of the ESB in a modern style done in a lazy manner. Rather disappointing I feel. I think they should not impinge upon the legacy of the ESB and move in a more modern direction. Creating a new ESB for the 21st century with a style that reflects the current cutting edge in architecture would be the better way to go. Instead they are merely rehashing old ideas that pale in comparison to what was built in he 30s. I'd like to see a stunning organic or futurist tower here that would mark the vanguard of the next generation of NYC skyscraper innovation.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 4:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wish this would be quicker because I fear the economy would kill something like this. With the shutdown, and deficit nonsense, idk. It just doesn't seem like luck will be generous towards it. Whats a reasonable time frame for a demo. Like 2015?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive