HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 4:45 PM

They need the maritimes as a whole to support having a big enough base for a team, make it a true regional team and have games at the different stadiums.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 4:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
They need the maritimes as a whole to support having a big enough base for a team, make it a true regional team and have games at the different stadiums.
A nice idea but impractical. They can't sustain a season's ticket base if games are held all over the region.

The team will be based in Halifax, and virtually all the games will be played in Halifax. Moncton would be lucky to score a home game once every several years or so. The best we could hope for would be if they used the Moncton Stadium as the base for their training camp (much like the Rough Riders do in Saskatoon).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A nice idea but impractical. They can't sustain a season's ticket base if games are held all over the region.

The team will be based in Halifax, and virtually all the games will be played in Halifax. Moncton would be lucky to score a home game once every several years or so. The best we could hope for would be if they used the Moncton Stadium as the base for their training camp (much like the Rough Riders do in Saskatoon).
Yup

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
Have the Atlantic Schooners officially announced their logo as of yet?
I'm hoping that they go with the traditional one, but I cannot find any indication of an official logo on their site.
I forgot about this

Halifax CFL proponents now selling swag for proposed Atlantic Schooners
The Canadian Press January 2 2019

HALIFAX — It doesn't exist yet, but the Atlantic Schooners Football Club — Halifax's proposed CFL team — is already selling swag.

Alyse Hand, a spokeswoman for the group, says merchandise including T-shirts, hoodies, socks and tuques with the club logo are now available from an online store.

Hand says the site was launched just before Christmas "as a way to get Schooners fans excited about a future team."

She says sales have been steady since the launch, and some sizes have sold out.

The clothing is made in Atlantic Canada by the Truro, N.S.-based Stanfield's Ltd.

Last month, Atlantic Schooners founding partner Anthony LeBlanc said more than 6,000 season-ticket applications had been sold, and that plans for a stadium would soon be unveiled.

Hand says the group is in the process of submitting a business analysis to the Halifax Regional Municipality.

"There is no firm date for a release of stadium plans, but Schooners Sports and Entertainment, along with key stakeholders, will be engaging the community this month (mid-January) as it pertains to the proposed stadium and next steps," she said in an email.

Hand says information about a public town hall will be released in the "coming days."

The Canadian Football League announced last month that a regular-season game will be played somewhere in Atlantic Canada in 2019, as part of the Schooners franchise drive.

LeBlanc has said the Toronto Argonauts will face the Montreal Alouettes on Aug. 25, possibly at a temporarily expanded stadium in Halifax, in Moncton, N.B., or at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, N.S.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 10:50 PM

I believe they've always sold a limited amount of swag. I could swear I saw some on their website a few yaers ago, including shirts that say, "Atlantic Schooners, undefeated since 1984!" or words to that effect.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I believe they've always sold a limited amount of swag. I could swear I saw some on their website a few yaers ago, including shirts that say, "Atlantic Schooners, undefeated since 1984!" or words to that effect.
That wasn't the present ownership group, that was the John Ryerson group entrusted with keeping the dream alive

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 10:31 AM

Ah, of course. I regret not getting one of those shirts. IIRC, they were hugely expensive.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:22 PM

I spoke to someone last week about a different topic...Premiere league soccer team in Moncton, there was a bid or push for a team here but, according to my source who is involved with soccer in Moncton had told me that we won't get one for at least 2 years because the CFL just signed a contract with the UdeM stadium for all the CFL games here next year. Obviously this hasn't been formerly announced or maybe its not a done deal yet. It does make sense though and I hope the market the crap out of it to show our support for an Atlantic team. In my opinion...cheering for a locally based team would bring more people out than having 2 teams here that maybe you can care less about.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
I spoke to someone last week about a different topic...Premiere league soccer team in Moncton, there was a bid or push for a team here but,
Soccer NB was pushing for a CPL team but I think the group lacked an owner with deep enough pockets. Right now the CPL is still looking at markets that are 400Kish or above and have a few markets to fill before getting somewhere like Moncton....places like Mississauga, Ottawa, Montreal are all imminent at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy
according to my source who is involved with soccer in Moncton had told me that we won't get one for at least 2 years because the CFL just signed a contract with the UdeM stadium for all the CFL games here next year. Obviously this hasn't been formerly announced or maybe its not a done deal yet.
This doesn't make a ton of sense. CFL teams can stadium-share with other sports, particularly soccer.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Every seat at the Scotiabank Centre is a new premium cushioned seat (with cupholders) like most NHL arenas

And finally Halifax has larger, louder, and more enthusiastic crowds that make the best junior hockey experience in the country. The building has character. On top of that people can walk out of Scotiabank Centre into a bustling downtown.
#1 is wrong. Dont know where you heard most nhl arenas all have cup holders but that is false. Some premium sections in some arenas do have them but definitely not all.

#2 also false. Granted the atmosphere is good in Halifax it is definitely not the best.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:51 PM

When Moncton got an arena built, I thought the pointless arguments would be against Harbour Station, not Scotiabank Centre.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
#1 is wrong. Dont know where you heard most nhl arenas all have cup holders but that is false. Some premium sections in some arenas do have them but definitely not all.
I was referring to the premium cushioned seats, so... Scotiabank Centre has the same or better seating than NHL arenas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
#2 also false. Granted the atmosphere is good in Halifax it is definitely not the best.
This is not false, granted this is subjective but name a CHL team with a better atmosphere that averages over 8,000.

Quote:
Halifax Awarded 2019 Memorial Cup
by Greg Johnston | Apr 8, 2018 | Greg Johnston, Hockey, News, OHL, QMJHL Hockey, WHL Hockey

Earlier this week, the 2019 Memorial Cup Site Selection Committee announced Halifax, Nova Scotia will be hosting the 101st edition of the Canadian Hockey League (CHL) tournament. The annual four-team round-robin type tournament is comprised of the host city and champions of the Western Hockey League (WHL), Ontario Hockey League (OHL), and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), to determine the best team of Canadian junior hockey. Halifax’s bid was selected over Moncton, New Brunswick, who is scheduled to open a new $100-millon arena this summer.

The tournament coincides with the 25th anniversary of the Halifax Mooseheads organization, and the expansion of the QMJHL to the Maritime provinces. “We’re very pleased for our hockey team, for our players and for our fans. Everyone is extremely excited. The city is ready, the downtown has become a beautiful place, the province has been behind us the whole way and it is going to be a great Memorial Cup in Halifax”, said a jubilant Bobby Smith, Governor and President of the Mooseheads.

Games will be played at ScotiaBank Centre, capable of seating over 10,000 spectators. The arena already has an ideal central downtown location, and recent renovations in 2016 have greatly improved the overall fan experience. Upgrades to the seating area and washroom facilities, along with increased concession options, all helped to land the Mooseheads in Stadium Journey’s annual ‘Top 100 Stadium’s’ ranking for fan experience in North America for two years in a row.

Halifax has become a popular location for hosting junior and university level tournaments. The city last hosted the Memorial Cup in 2000, and hosted the World Junior Championship in 2003. More recently, Halifax hosted championship tournaments for U-Sports (formerly Canadian University Sport) men’s hockey in 2015 and 2016, and men’s basketball in 2017 and 2018. Halifax will again be the site to determine a champion in U-Sport men’s hockey in 2020.

For Halifax area residents, the best way to secure Memorial Cup seats is to become a Mooseheads season ticket holder, according to the Mooseheads website. Ticket packages and other ticket options will be announced at a later date. Tickets and more information can be found at http://mastercardmemorialcup.ca/. This season’s 100th Memorial Cup tournament will be held May 17th to the 27th in Regina, Saskatchewan.

The Memorial Cup was originally dedicated in remembrance of the soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice for Canada in the World War One. The Cup was rededicated in 2010 to the memory of all fallen Canadian military personnel killed in combat.
https://stadiumjourney.com/news/hali...-memorial-cup/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 10:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
This is not false, granted this is subjective but name a CHL team with a better atmosphere that averages over 8,000.
There's more to atmosphere than limiting it to how many people are in the building. Smaller rinks packed to the ceiling are more raucous and have better atmospheres than bigger arenas with more people. More people =/= better atmosphere.

I could probably list a few rinks in the O and Q that have better atmospheres than Halifax, at least IMO....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 10:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
More people =/= better atmosphere.
Indeed. I've been in the Avenir Centre with more than 8,000 people in attendance and the crowd was pretty quiet.

The very same Avenir Centre in the first round of the playoffs with fewer than 4,000 people in attendance was pretty raucous.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 11:37 PM

I disagree, in Halifax a larger crowd tends to be even louder and makes for a better atmosphere.

Video Link

Small rinks in the Q can keep their annoying cowbells and noise horns to compensate for their small crowds.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 12:57 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I disagree, in Halifax a larger crowd tends to be even louder and makes for a better atmosphere.
I wasn't referring to Halifax in particular when I was talking about big crowds v. small crowds.

Quote:
Small rinks in the Q can keep their annoying cowbells and noise horns to compensate for their small crowds.

Yeah, how dare those small arena folk make noise.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:31 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure I hear horns, bells and other noise makers in that video, too...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I think q12 means that those small town folk should learn their place and not dare to show any civic pride or team spirit.

Halifax, Halifax uber alles!!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 11:03 AM

I was referring to some of the small market teams from Quebec that when you listen on the radio it sounds like a bad traffic jam in New York City played on a broken record.

The worst is when they try to drown out the Canadian National Anthem.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 12:07 PM

You dont need 8000 plus in the stands to have a great atmosphere. I go to plenty of leafs games at Scotiabank arena and the atmosphere is rather uninspiring and thats with 20000 people in the place. Sens games are even worse. But keep beating that Halifax is the best drum Q12 if it makes you feel better. Reality is there are dozens of teams in the CHL that have great buildings with great fan support. London Knights come to mind immediately here in Ontario and a few of the Prairie teams as well. You need to get out more!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces