HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'd be worried Signal..............

I can see downtown St. John's being declared as unceded land. How many Newfoundlanders applied for their status Indian cards when they became eligible a couple of years ago? Wasn't it something like 40% of the population???

I could foresee you coming downstairs tomorrow morning to find an "aboriginal" in your living room claiming squatters right. You might have a devil of a time getting rid of him...........
As far as I know, the Beothuk never spent much if any time on the Avalon Peninsula. It only makes sense as a place to settle due to the proximity to Europe. Otherwise, Central Newfoundland and the Exploits River Valley/ and the West/North coasts where the Beothuk mainly lived is the best for weather, growing season, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A bit of Beothuk DNA does not render one indigenous. The finding, if true, seems of historical interest only.
It seems to do here. But there is still a reserve-type community on the island, Conne River. The people there are as culturally Indigenous as any this far south.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
A bit of Beothuk DNA does not render one indigenous. The finding, if true, seems of historical interest only.
If we're talking about the "benefits" of having indigenous ancestry, you need to be at least 1/8th to avail.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
If we're talking about the "benefits" of having indigenous ancestry, you need to be at least 1/8th to avail.
Yes, so anything being attributed to over 200 years ago, as here, would have no impact, even under our incredibly racist rules.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. If garden variety Newfoundland white guy Steve Jones takes a DNA test and discovers he's 3% Beothuk despite having no actual connection to indigenous anything, is he going to suddenly be recognized as the inheritor of the Beothuk culture and legacy and be accorded all of the rights as a First Nation that has maintained its identity and tradition all along? Does he suddenly become the indigenous version of King Ralph?

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's what I was thinking. If garden variety Newfoundland white guy Steve Jones takes a DNA test and discovers he's 3% Beothuk despite having no actual connection to indigenous anything, is he going to suddenly be recognized as the inheritor of the Beothuk culture and legacy and be accorded all of the rights as a First Nation that has maintained its identity and tradition all along? Does he suddenly become the indigenous version of King Ralph?
It only works if you are Elizabeth Warren ...

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 5:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
He's certainly going to try.

Quote:
In 1949, when Newfoundland joined Confederation, Mi’kmaq communities were not recognized as First Nations under the Indian Act. The Indian status of their membership was undetermined by Canada.

At the time, it was estimated that the band would be similar to, or smaller in size to the FNI, which had about 10,000 members. But nearly 104,000 people from across the country applied to become Qalipu members. The population of Newfoundland and Labrador in the 2016 Census was 528,448.
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...q-first-nation

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 8:49 AM
Made in Edmonton

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 10:37 PM

Canadian actor, Monique Mercure, C.C., has died at age 89.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Telegram took a big step today, one that would probably jeopardize its viability in another province (but here, people are so desperate for work they'll have no problem hiring). They basically fired a guy for writing a right-wing diatribe against the public service.

Buddy is from Calgary, and he's a genuine troll. He writes to provoke people here, and will definitely return to Calgary some sort of right-wing hero for being chased out of the welfare-bum east. But we got to him a bit, he wrote in favour of a guaranteed minimum income, for example.

Anyhow, very glad to see him go, but it's one of those guilty pleasures that makes me wonder at what cost. He just didn't fit here. His columns went over like if Alex Jones started a talk radio show here. It might as well not even be in English. But, still... a paper getting rid of a guy for writing something they reviewed and published... dangerous precedent.

But, this is just one small part of The Telegram's troubles since it was purchased by the Maritimes' Saltwire. It's publishing stories about condos in New Brunswick and Halifax municipal politics. That sort of regional slant is really turning people here off quickly. It might make sense to outsiders, Atlantic Canada is small, connected... but that's just not the lived experience here. No one gives a shit about the Maritimes, or thinks about it in their daily lives. It'd be like a daily in Winnipeg having stories about Sudbury, Red Deer, and Rimouski. In the Canada or World section, sure, but they'd better be a hell of a lot more interesting than condos and parking restriction votes on council.

And they're doing it in reverse too. Half the time I see an article by a writer here, about here, the link whoever used to post it to FB is some Journal in PEI or Herald in NS lol.

Top comment on this news: "I wonder if his CERB will be processed?" lol

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 1:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:58 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Pure vintage gold right here.

Vancouver's christian community outside a Granville theater protesting the showing of Caligula.

Video Link

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:02 PM

Torstar (Toronto Star, Hamilton Spectator, WR Record, St Catherines Standard) has been purchased for $52M by two Canadian businessmen who will take it private. There is apparently no truth to the rumour that the two businessmen have also been looking to acquire a buggy whip manufacturer ....

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...lion-deal.html

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Torstar (Toronto Star, Hamilton Spectator, WR Record, St Catherines Standard) has been purchased for $52M by two Canadian businessmen who will take it private. There is apparently no truth to the rumour that the two businessmen have also been looking to acquire a buggy whip manufacturer ....

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...lion-deal.html
It's staggering how the value of big newspapers has collapsed. In Canada it's hard to find ones with shares trading over a dollar anymore. Compare that to the late 90s during the last great newspaper war when the papers were flush.

I know locally in Winnipeg, some of the early-week editions of the Free Press like on Monday and Tuesday have literally had only one or two display ads and a tiny smattering of classified ads. I don't know how you pay the bills that way.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 11:51 PM

Fun report in the Ottawa Citizen today: Ottawa police nabbed a driver on Tuesday and charged him with his 14th offence so far in 2020 (this latest - driving 135kmh in a 60kmh zone). The driver is 17 years old. According to police, he is likely to contest the stunt-driving charges and will likely be driving again after he gets his licence and vehicle back in a week at the end of the automatic suspension.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 12:04 AM

^The system works! For him, at least...

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The Telegram took a big step today, one that would probably jeopardize its viability in another province (but here, people are so desperate for work they'll have no problem hiring). They basically fired a guy for writing a right-wing diatribe against the public service.

Buddy is from Calgary, and he's a genuine troll. He writes to provoke people here, and will definitely return to Calgary some sort of right-wing hero for being chased out of the welfare-bum east. But we got to him a bit, he wrote in favour of a guaranteed minimum income, for example.

Apparently he is not being fired, he remains as an editor. This is about freedom of speech, not opinion, and it's the job of the media to uphold it. Many don't agree with this censorship, Rex Murphy (the most famous NL journalist) in his column is one who disagrees. BTW, my opinion isn't important here, so I won't go beyond that issue.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 3:09 AM
Made in Edmonton

Random Groovy music time....

https://youtu.be/IkCYgd_S7y0 1966

https://youtu.be/ry73m8lNnPA 1980....Roller skating at this time lol.

https://youtu.be/MbIwR6EUmN8

Drakes the big thing these days. IMO he's a light weight compared to artists like Luther Vandross featuring Change. Funk 101.

Last edited by Black Star; May 31, 2020 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 1:34 PM

I was just reading that the two SpaceX astronauts are named Bob and Doug. Hosers in space? Seriously, shouldn't it be like Lance and Chet?

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I was just reading that the two SpaceX astronauts are named Bob and Doug. Hosers in space? Seriously, shouldn't it be like Lance and Chet?
. And here it is (ya hoser)
Video Link

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Random Groovy music time....

https://youtu.be/IkCYgd_S7y0 1966

https://youtu.be/ry73m8lNnPA 1980....Roller skating at this time lol.

https://youtu.be/MbIwR6EUmN8

Drakes the big thing these days. IMO he's a light weight compared to artists like Luther Vandross featuring Change. Funk 101.
Here's one of my favorite dancey type songs.
Video Link

I love Electric Light Orchestra

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada