HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Employment insurance (the name should be a hint) is not a handout. It's something that all tax paying Canadians have contributed to and are therefore entitled to receive when needed. No further conditions required beyond being unemployed. Even moreso under the current circumstances where most people are unemployed on government orders to shut their workplaces.

The sheer amount of beauracratic organization and oversight that would be necessary to organize and enforce 3 million+ unemployed Canadians to fulfill their non-essential make-work projects would far exceed the value generated by making our already-clean streets slightly more clean.
Its the same as enforcing speeding lol. 99.9% of people get away. We'd catch some who break it and most will follow it.

CERB is already running on a honor system.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The sheer amount of beauracratic organization and oversight that would be necessary to organize and enforce 3 million+ unemployed Canadians to fulfill their non-essential make-work projects would far exceed the value generated by making our already-clean streets slightly more clean.
Spot on. This is one of those ideas that seems simple at first blush but becomes a nightmare to manage and enforce. And if it's not going to enforcible it's pointless. Can accomplish the same by just including a request to put in 1 hr per day cleaning up during the EI application process.

Notably, don't even need EI for this. I've seen some of my neighbours voluntarily picking up trash while home. I carry a plastic bag on some jogs and grab what I can on the way home. I don't want more people out there doing this. Just increases the risk of infection.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:34 AM

The main reason why CERB was introduced was because the bureaucracy couldn't handle millions of cases. How could it handle managing work programs with millions of people?

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Where did you think you were living? We've been going more left every year. Time for the good parts.
If you think that is bad, why would you want more? Communism doesn't work.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 6:19 AM

This pandemic has put an immense strain on the telecoms industry and if everyone is going to be holding online meetings and VPNing into company networks, then lasting infrastructure upgrades are going to be required.

Likewise, if work-from-home is going to be prevalent in the future, related worker legislation is going to have to be beefed up massively (which is not necessarily a matter of stimulus). A lot of overhead costs are going to be downloaded onto the employee; other than internet, there's also hardware and furniture costs, software licenses, adjustment of allowances etc. that have to be accounted for. I have serious doubts in the ability of companies to enact policies enforcing this new normal (as opposed to the contingency / continuity setups that are currently in force), so it would be nice to see the government set some guidance in this regard.

Last edited by foolworm; May 11, 2020 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 2:24 PM

Op here,

When I think of the damage this has done to the economy, I feel that we are not just in a recession, but a depression. I don't think that the private sector can get out of this on their own.

In no particular order, here are my 5 things:

1) CERB becomes Guaranteed Basic Income. Having a minimum livable amount that every Canadian can qualify will give people the security they need to go and spend. The GBI should be based on the poverty line. This will also force companies who pay less than it to either close, or pay their workers a higher wage. If your only incentive to go to work is money, then you are a slave. Remove that incentive, and you will see more people do well. This will also help those who are homeless, or who are stuck in dead end low wage jobs.

2) Clean running water in all FN reserves. Right now, there are still far too many FN reserves that have boil water advisories on. The Liberals had touted themselves as FN reconciliators. Time they pony up the money to it. This will also reconcile the mess tha happened with BC and the blockades.

3) Fund shovel ready transit projects. This would include the extension of the Skytrain to UBC and the Ontario Line subway, among others. This government, and most of the parties try to say they are green. Projects like this will show us that they mean it. No only that, but this will also push more people into various skilled trades, which on a whole is needed in Canada.

4) Fund road projects. All around Canada we still have potholed roads as well as highways that should be widened due to congestion or safety. This won't mean the TCH throughout Canada will be 4 lanes as a minimum, but, more might be.

5) Fund more heavy rail passenger service.

This would include expanding the commuter rail in the 3 cities that have it (finally a second WCE route?), plus adding it to other areas. Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa are the next largest cites to not have one, and most, if not all could have a decent service as they have a decent amount of heavy rail lines. Yes, dealing with CN and CP will be a challenge, but they can do it in Montreal and Toronto, so it can be done elsewhere. I know some don't have downtown connections, but maybe something like what Montreal has - the Mount Royal Tunnel could be a solution.

This would also include funding for more Via service. It would start with a procurement of new rolling stock for routes outside the Corridor such that they can run daily service on existing routes. This would also see the replacement of the RDCs with something new that is more fuel efficient. Ideally, this would be made in Canada by a Canadian company (hopefully not Bombardier). This could begin the process of turning Via from a service to cover the needs of the government, to covering the needs of Canadians outside of the Corridor. With this new rolling stock coming online, possibly adding new services on the Prairies would happen too.

All 5 of these would generate much needed jobs right across Canada. They would also help most of the parties keep their promises.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
This would include expanding the commuter rail in the 3 cities that have it (finally a second WCE route?), plus adding it to other areas. Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa are the next largest cites to not have one, and most, if not all could have a decent service as they have a decent amount of heavy rail lines. Yes, dealing with CN and CP will be a challenge, but they can do it in Montreal and Toronto, so it can be done elsewhere. I know some don't have downtown connections, but maybe something like what Montreal has - the Mount Royal Tunnel could be a solution.
I think talk of commuter rail service for Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa is premature. Right now, all three are unicities, i.e single-tier municipalities containing a supermajority of their metro area's populations, so their municipal transit systems already provide commuter service to a certain degree. In any case, further commuter transit could probably be better served by bus (coach) service instead. For that matter, Western Canada could do with an intercity coach operator to fill the void left by Greyhound's exit - right now there's a hodgepodge of smaller companies but service is patchy at best and many communities simply don't have options.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolworm View Post
I think talk of commuter rail service for Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa is premature. Right now, all three are unicities, i.e single-tier municipalities containing a supermajority of their metro area's populations, so their municipal transit systems already provide commuter service to a certain degree. In any case, further commuter transit could probably be better served by bus (coach) service instead. For that matter, Western Canada could do with an intercity coach operator to fill the void left by Greyhound's exit - right now there's a hodgepodge of smaller companies but service is patchy at best and many communities simply don't have options.
You're absolutely right. Building commuter rail for cities of a million residents is a joke. And building such systems at this stage will simply fuel sprawl. It's not just cars that cause sprawl. We see it in Toronto and Montreal too where better commuter services, without any appropriate zoning and intensification targets has enabled substantial amount of sprawl.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada