HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1641  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 11:29 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,860
Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig mark 500 days in Chinese jails with little outside contact. Meanwhile, things have been rough on the Huawei princess now that's she largely confined to her Vancouver mansion, with no opportunity to visit the Chanel or Gucci boutiques.

Two Canadians jailed in China mark 500 days in confinement
ROBERT FIFE OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF
STEVEN CHASE
NATHAN VANDERKLIPPEASIA CORRESPONDENT
OTTAWA. BEIJING
PUBLISHED APRIL 23, 2020

Michael Kovrig is trying to keep his mind intellectually engaged as he and fellow Canadian Michael Spavor mark their 500th day of imprisonment in China, cut off from family and friends as the result of their lengthy detention.

The former diplomat’s colleagues at the International Crisis Group (ICG), a non-profit think tank where Mr. Kovrig last worked, say they currently lack basic information about his condition because China closed its prisons to outside visitors in mid-January amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

Mr. Kovrig and Mr. Spavor, an entrepreneur, have been detained by China since December, 2018, in what is widely seen as retaliation for Canada’s arrest of Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. executive Meng Wanzhou in order for Ottawa to comply with a U.S. extradition order. They are jailed in facilities where the lights stay on 24 hours a day.

COVID-19 reportedly hit Chinese prisons hard earlier this year, but Ottawa hasn’t said whether Mr. Kovrig or Mr. Spavor have suffered any health problems that required medical treatment. Canadian diplomats have been prevented from meeting the two men for more than three months now....(bold mine)


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...n-confinement/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1642  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 11:50 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig mark 500 days in Chinese jails with little outside contact. Meanwhile, things have been rough on the Huawei princess now that's she largely confined to her Vancouver mansion, with no opportunity to visit the Chanel or Gucci boutiques.

Two Canadians jailed in China mark 500 days in confinement
ROBERT FIFE OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF
STEVEN CHASE
NATHAN VANDERKLIPPEASIA CORRESPONDENT
OTTAWA. BEIJING
PUBLISHED APRIL 23, 2020

Michael Kovrig is trying to keep his mind intellectually engaged as he and fellow Canadian Michael Spavor mark their 500th day of imprisonment in China, cut off from family and friends as the result of their lengthy detention.

The former diplomat’s colleagues at the International Crisis Group (ICG), a non-profit think tank where Mr. Kovrig last worked, say they currently lack basic information about his condition because China closed its prisons to outside visitors in mid-January amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

Mr. Kovrig and Mr. Spavor, an entrepreneur, have been detained by China since December, 2018, in what is widely seen as retaliation for Canada’s arrest of Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. executive Meng Wanzhou in order for Ottawa to comply with a U.S. extradition order. They are jailed in facilities where the lights stay on 24 hours a day.

COVID-19 reportedly hit Chinese prisons hard earlier this year, but Ottawa hasn’t said whether Mr. Kovrig or Mr. Spavor have suffered any health problems that required medical treatment. Canadian diplomats have been prevented from meeting the two men for more than three months now....(bold mine)


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...n-confinement/
I was going to ask about them the other day as I hadn't heard anything in the news about them for awhile. Now I know why.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1643  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 9:58 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Nowhere on the 17 or 417, actually
Posts: 4,791
What’s happening to Kim Jong Un??
__________________
We'll soon begin work to extend Highway 417 to Renfrew, first replacing the intersection of Calabogie Road with an interchange!

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1644  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 10:05 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
What’s happening to Kim Jong Un??
Hard to say. Seems to depend on who you listen to. I saw something last night that said China had sent in specialists to deal with him. I'll have to see if I can remember where I saw this but the most interesting thing I've seen so far is a report out of Japan that claims about two weeks ago he had a heart attack while inspecting a plant (nuclear?) and that the doctors with him managed to keep him alive but had a bitch of a time getting a stent in place because he's so obese.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1645  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 11:31 PM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I was going to ask about them the other day as I hadn't heard anything in the news about them for awhile. Now I know why.
Honestly yes China detaining the two Canadians is bad. But what about the other thousands of Canadians detained that we ignore? In the end they aren’t important to Canadians who are just looking for another excuse to hate on China. Many of the cases on this list I've never even heard of.

whatnext you keep talking about how we should seize the property of anyone from China. But why haven’t you advocated doing the same to Americans and Iranians among others whose countries have also done the same?

Quote:
Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen and father of two, was travelling home to Canada from visiting his wife’s family in Tunisia in 2002. While changing planes at New York City’s JFK airport, he was detained and held for 12 days by US authorities. He was then transferred secretly, via Jordan, to Syria, where he was held for a year and tortured.
Quote:
Canadian permanent resident originally from Iran, Saeed Malekpour made a trip in 2008 to visit his ailing father in Iran. He was arrested and accused on the grounds that an open source web program he created for uploading photos to the internet had been misused. In 2010, he was sentenced to death. The death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment in 2012.

While detained Saeed reported he was blindfolded and handcuffed while several individuals beat him with cables, batons, and their fists in order to force a confession. His televised ‘confession’ was the only ‘evidence’ used against him in court to secure his conviction. Saeed was then sentenced to another 7 years in prison for speaking out about the torture he experienced.
https://www.amnesty.ca/our-work/issu...etained-abroad
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1646  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 12:25 AM
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 12,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Hard to say. Seems to depend on who you listen to. I saw something last night that said China had sent in specialists to deal with him. I'll have to see if I can remember where I saw this but the most interesting thing I've seen so far is a report out of Japan that claims about two weeks ago he had a heart attack while inspecting a plant (nuclear?) and that the doctors with him managed to keep him alive but had a bitch of a time getting a stent in place because he's so obese.
Is he really that fat though? I mean compared to the average American who go through those procedures by the thousand.

A few days ago I heard he was brain dead after surgery. That seems to have been the case, with the Chinese going in to provide any last minute advice before they just pulled the plug.

Apparently his sister is in charge. A millennial woman of color!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1647  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 12:30 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Is he really that fat though? I mean compared to the average American who go through those procedures by the thousand.

A few days ago I heard he was brain dead after surgery. That seems to have been the case, with the Chinese going in to provide any last minute advice before they just pulled the plug.

Apparently his sister is in charge. A millennial woman of color!
I'm just relaying what the one Japanese news agency said. It's possible that the NK doctors have never had to deal with anyone as obese as him.

No one is sure who's in charge but his sister sounds like a delight. I wonder what title she'll be given.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1648  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 2:28 AM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Is he really that fat though? I mean compared to the average American who go through those procedures by the thousand.

A few days ago I heard he was brain dead after surgery. That seems to have been the case, with the Chinese going in to provide any last minute advice before they just pulled the plug.

Apparently his sister is in charge. A millennial woman of color!
And here I thought he was brain dead before surgery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1649  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 5:31 PM
CivicBlues CivicBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
And here I thought he was brain dead before surgery.
I think you're mistaken.
https://twitter.com/bschapiroMD/stat...98376125562882
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1650  
Old Posted May 11, 2020, 5:56 AM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Do we really want to trust these guys with nuclear tech lol. Middle eastern militaries tend to be rife with graft and appointees. Everyone's the son, cousin, or nephew of someone.

Quote:
Iran missile strikes own ship in deadly ‘friendly fire’ incident
One sailor killed, others wounded in training exercise in Gulf of Oman
Incident comes amid heightened tensions between US and Iran
https://www.scmp.com/news/world/midd...-fire-incident
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1651  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 7:46 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,860
Apaprently Meng Wanzhou doesn't think the BC Public Health officer's guidelines on limiting family groups to 6 apply to her. Witness her strange "victory lap" photoshoot at the BC provincial Court:

With a momentous court ruling that could deliver her freedom days away, Meng Wanzhou appeared to take a premature victory lap on the weekend, posing for pictures and flashing a thumbs-up on the steps of B.C. Supreme Court.

The Huawei executive took part in a staged downtown Vancouver photo shoot as security guards stood watch Saturday evening. She jumped out of a black SUV to take centre stage once a group of family and friends had arranged themselves in front of a photographer.

It was an unusual move for the 48-year-old chief financial officer of the telecommunications giant. And even more so for a defendant who will learn this week whether the court's associate chief justice believes Meng is accused of an offence worthy of extradition to the United States.

"I can't say that I've seen that [before]," said Gary Botting, an expert on the Canadian extradition process...

....Many have pointed out the disparity between Meng's gold-plated, self-funded home-arrest and Kovrig and Spavor's harsh treatment.

And unlike Meng, neither man is appearing in any pictures.
(bold mine)


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ourt-1.5582689
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1652  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 7:52 PM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Apaprently Meng Wanzhou doesn't think the BC Public Health officer's guidelines on limiting family groups to 6 apply to her. Witness her strange "victory lap" photoshoot at the BC provincial Court:

With a momentous court ruling that could deliver her freedom days away, Meng Wanzhou appeared to take a premature victory lap on the weekend, posing for pictures and flashing a thumbs-up on the steps of B.C. Supreme Court.

The Huawei executive took part in a staged downtown Vancouver photo shoot as security guards stood watch Saturday evening. She jumped out of a black SUV to take centre stage once a group of family and friends had arranged themselves in front of a photographer.

It was an unusual move for the 48-year-old chief financial officer of the telecommunications giant. And even more so for a defendant who will learn this week whether the court's associate chief justice believes Meng is accused of an offence worthy of extradition to the United States.

"I can't say that I've seen that [before]," said Gary Botting, an expert on the Canadian extradition process...

....Many have pointed out the disparity between Meng's gold-plated, self-funded home-arrest and Kovrig and Spavor's harsh treatment.

And unlike Meng, neither man is appearing in any pictures.
(bold mine)


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ourt-1.5582689
Is your point that we should treat prisoners according to the treatment of Canadian prisoners in their nations? So a man from Iran would be whipped and tortured in Canadian prisons?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1653  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 8:24 PM
milomilo milomilo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Is your point that we should treat prisoners according to the treatment of Canadian prisoners in their nations? So a man from Iran would be whipped and tortured in Canadian prisons?
More that China is barbaric and should raise themselves to our levels, than us lower ours to theirs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1654  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 8:28 PM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
More that China is barbaric and should raise themselves to our levels, than us lower ours to theirs.
Honestly it is true that Chinese prisons are pretty bad. But they are above average on a global scale.

For most posters anything China must be bad so I doubt anyone's going to agree with what I said. But as far as we know the two Canadians haven't been beaten, prison raped, or tortured which places their treatment above what you'd expect in an African, Asian, South America, or American prison.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1655  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 8:30 PM
CivicBlues CivicBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
More that China is barbaric and should raise themselves to our levels, than us lower ours to theirs.
A point lost entirely on WhatNext, who would like nothing more to see Meng drawn and quartered and other Chinese tarred and feathered for no other fact than their quid pro quo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1656  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 8:49 PM
milomilo milomilo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Honestly it is true that Chinese prisons are pretty bad. But they are above average on a global scale.

For most posters anything China must be bad so I doubt anyone's going to agree with what I said. But as far as we know the two Canadians haven't been beaten, prison raped, or tortured which places their treatment above what you'd expect in an African, Asian, South America, or American prison.
For a country that is one of the most powerful in the world, and on the road to having the largest economy, being "not the worst" is not good enough. If they want the world to respect them, they need to earn it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1657  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 9:23 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
A point lost entirely on WhatNext, who would like nothing more to see Meng drawn and quartered and other Chinese tarred and feathered for no other fact than their quid pro quo.
Why do you hate Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1658  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 9:48 PM
ReeceZ ReeceZ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why do you hate Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig?
I have a strong hunch he is ethnic Mainland Chinese, and wants everyone on this forum to be pro-Beijing. And if we do not conform to his pro-Beijing viewpoint, he will label us racists and xenophobes. It's what political schill puppets like him are paid to do.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1659  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 10:04 PM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why do you hate Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig?
So if we don't hate them we must attack all ethnic Chinese prisoners in Canada until China releases them?

Americans have some Canadians in black sites being tortured daily. Are you saying we should also torture all prisoners descended from Americans in Canada until America releases them?

If supporting that means I hate Canadians then so be it because it would be insanity to support that. Seriously even the people that hate China in this forum would think that your being loony.

First Nations came from Asia so likely many of them have some Han Chinese blood in them, would you want to torture them too? This guy and you would get along:

Quote:
A young Indigenous woman says she was punched repeatedly by a man making racist comments while she was walking in a Vancouver park Friday evening – and according to her, the alleged attack started after she sneezed.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/young-indigeno...park-1.4943269
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1660  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 10:51 PM
CivicBlues CivicBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why do you hate Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig?
Where did I say anything of the sort, you moron? I would like nothing more than to have them returned to us safe and sound. You seem to think confining Meng in a concrete cell and being fed bread and water would hasten their return somehow. I for one am proud of the high standards of which we treat our imprisioned, you're the one that actually wants us to go down to China's level. Now who's the one that hates Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.