HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
GE got rid of their oil and gas division and is heavy on renewables. Why would a carbon tax be a disincentive to them?
Wow I had to re-read Blackstars post, I completely mis-read it. I thought it read GE oil and gas is pulling out because of the Carbon tax /lack of competitiveness. My mistake

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Agree to disagree I guess.

I don't think it's possible to build a truly competitive global economy while trying to turn kids who got C's in high school into globally competitive software engineers. Do you think the US became what it is by restricting employment only to Americans? A third of American tech innovators are immigrants. I want the world's best and brightest to choose Canada. And I don't want to pass up on immigrants like Sergei Brin or Elon Musk or Sundar Pichai because some straight C student from Kelowna is having a tough time getting into college.

I am suggesting we have a proper community college and apprenticeship system where that straight C student can learn and get the skills to build a career that is closer to their skill level.

I don't have an issue with this per se. But I will remind you that Canadians are prolific investors in real estate overseas. So I wonder how many Canadians would be okay with reciprocal restrictions on their property buying in the US and all over Latin America.

I am pretty sure you can lose residency right now if convicted of a serious offence. So no real change there.

Agree on the change to a 5 year residency requirement for citizenship. What is not talked about though is how poorly civics is taught to native Canadians. I'd make the citizenship test a mandatory requirement for high school matriculation.
hear, hear. well said. I agree completely.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Close but no cigar.
I wasn't saying I believe it's him. I was just saying his attitude reminded me of him.

"How come those ungrateful Eastern bastards dislike us?!? We're the reason the country exists! Our tarsands, which are the most environmentally friendly source of energy known to man, are what's paying for the schools and hospitals they have in the East. It's really extremely puzzling that they'd be too ignorant to like us, like they should!"

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I wasn't saying I believe it's him. I was just saying his attitude reminded me of him.

"How come those ungrateful Eastern bastards dislike us?!? We're the reason the country exists! Our tarsands, which are the most environmentally friendly source of energy known to man, are what's paying for the schools and hospitals they have in the East. It's really extremely puzzling that they'd be too ignorant to like us, like they should!"
Plus the East has its own oil platform(s).
Not to mention that until recently it was exporting asbestos to the developing world.
And of course the V8 engines and large planes the East produces are great for the environment!

Seriously though Canada’s an integrated economy I hate how we’ve separated the country into East and west. I guess one bad thing about having a lot of land is that people use it as an excuse to hate on each other. If we were the size of Taiwan I bet you wouldn’t be hating on the west side of the island lol.

Last edited by misher; May 22, 2020 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

please stop.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Welcome to being ruled by idiots mad with power.

Quote:
Organizers left scrambling as B.C. bans drive-in events with 50-plus vehicles

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry enacted the ban Friday by amending her public health order that prohibits gatherings of more than 50 people.

“I know that was a challenge for some people, but really this is a time when we need to be careful,” said Henry Saturday.

“Even though 50 cars may seem like a small amount, and it is a less risky environment, we know that if we get people, there will be several people in a vehicle, the chance of more contact, meaning spreading this virus is real right now.”...

The new order could also have a significant impact on businesses like Langley’s Twilight Drive-In.

The facility, which can normally accommodate about 400 vehicles according to DriveInMovie.com, had reduced its capacity by half in order to meet social distancing regulations.

The new order would see that capacity reduced by a further 75 per cent.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6979160/c...mpression=true

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Welcome to being ruled by idiots mad with power.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6979160/c...mpression=true
The two letters "Dr" indicate that the person in question is probably not lacking in intelligence. Do you think you are smarter than her? You might be, I might be too, but logically it is probably pretty unlikely.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 1:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
The two letters "Dr" indicate that the person in question is probably not lacking in intelligence. Do you think you are smarter than her? You might be, I might be too, but logically it is probably pretty unlikely.
You tell me why drive in events with 100 cars are more dangerous than a 50 car event.
Drive in events are how our business leadership and non profits are trying to keep things going. They should be praised not punished.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 2:04 AM

Quote:
You tell me why drive in events with 100 cars are more dangerous than a 50 car event.
Drive in events are how our business leadership and non profits are trying to keep things going. They should be praised not punished.
Our business leadership? WTF is that?

Dr Henry has done a stellar job advising and leading BC through this pandemic. She has worked on outbreaks like this for her entire career.

You are a shitposting troll who has terrible takes on almost every topic you post about.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 2:08 AM

Quote:
The previous rules would have stopped a drive in movie venue from having more than 50 people attend.

The new rule would stop a drive in movie from having more than 50 cars.

They relaxed the rules. More likely, when they wrote the rule in the first place they were not considering drive-ins.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
I do not know the full reasoning behind the decision. But I do know that anyone who has gone through medical school, a medical career and become head doctor in a province is unlikely to be an idiot.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 3:42 AM
Editor

Think about the businesses in your community that are publicly connected to coronavirus outbreaks. Do you shop there anymore?

I don't.

I've stopped going to big box stores entirely, and won't return to them after the province re-opens. I've stopped consuming Canadian beef and won't resume until the industry can prove it can function without treating its workers like shit. Do you think any random small business wants to be connected to an outbreak? Do you think your neighbourhood restaurant wants the local health unit to tell everyone "Hey, if you went here between May 19th and May 23rd, you need to isolate because their staff have covid-19"?

All the businesses that are bragging about "being back to normal", I don't trust them.

I don't see a very viable economy ahead for us if we go ahead and infect a large percentage of the population.

A drive in with 1,000 cars is safer than a drive in with 50 cars if the drive in with 50 cars has people getting out of the cars and mingling but at the drive in with 1,000 cars they all stay in the car. From the doctors perspective, limiting the number of participants means limiting the number of individuals exposed to possible infection.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 3:59 AM

Costco has been the gold standard of covid19 procedures around here. I've been to several big box stores since this all started. Wear a mask, keep your distance, and wash your hands. The risk of infection is incredibly small with those simple precautions.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 4:01 AM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Think about the businesses in your community that are publicly connected to coronavirus outbreaks. Do you shop there anymore?

I don't.

I've stopped going to big box stores entirely, and won't return to them after the province re-opens. I've stopped consuming Canadian beef and won't resume until the industry can prove it can function without treating its workers like shit. Do you think any random small business wants to be connected to an outbreak? Do you think your neighbourhood restaurant wants the local health unit to tell everyone "Hey, if you went here between May 19th and May 23rd, you need to isolate because their staff have covid-19"?

All the businesses that are bragging about "being back to normal", I don't trust them.

I don't see a very viable economy ahead for us if we go ahead and infect a large percentage of the population.

A drive in with 1,000 cars is safer than a drive in with 50 cars if the drive in with 50 cars has people getting out of the cars and mingling but at the drive in with 1,000 cars they all stay in the car. From the doctors perspective, limiting the number of participants means limiting the number of individuals exposed to possible infection.

Hows TB doing?...are you working Vid?

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:12 PM

About allowing in highly skilled workers, I agree. I was quite clear that those with such vital skills should be at the very front of the line.

My point was not allowing skilled workers but rather students. We have to make sure that Canadian kids have unquestionable the first kick at the post-secondary can. A C or, at most B, average student should be able to get into a university, at least for general studies. Back in the 80s, most average school accepted a C average and B to B+ average got you into any school in the country and I never even met a single international student in my 4 years at either Carleton or UT.

We have to train Canadian kids first and, quite literally, let the 5% maximum per-school of foreign students, fight for the crumbs. This all goes back to my original point........Canada has to stop relying on foreign money and labour to prop up our economy and get back to the days when we, as Canadians, were able to create the wealth ourselves.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
About allowing in highly skilled workers, I agree. I was quite clear that those with such vital skills should be at the very front of the line.

My point was not allowing skilled workers but rather students. We have to make sure that Canadian kids have unquestionable the first kick at the post-secondary can. A C or, at most B, average student should be able to get into a university, at least for general studies. Back in the 80s, most average school accepted a C average and B to B+ average got you into any school in the country and I never even met a single international student in my 4 years at either Carleton or UT.

We have to train Canadian kids first and, quite literally, let the 5% maximum per-school of foreign students, fight for the crumbs. This all goes back to my original point........Canada has to stop relying on foreign money and labour to prop up our economy and get back to the days when we, as Canadians, were able to create the wealth ourselves.
Yes, there is a world of hurt coming for school districts and universities who foolishly became over-reliant on foreign students (encouraged by the Trudeau government). But as we can see from this article in yesterday's South China Morning Post there will be an upside in terms of housing affordability:

Coronavirus: wealthy Chinese families say pandemic has eroded appetite for overseas schooling and investing

The coronavirus pandemic could permanently change wealthy Chinese families’ plans to send their children to study abroad or to use investment vehicles to emigrate overseas, according to a series of interviews with families in the mainland.

A mix of pandemic-based problems for China’s urban rich, including the sudden uncertainty over future incomes, the health risks of living abroad, and China’s deteriorating image in Western countries, have forced many to reconsider, if not totally give up, plans to send their kids to American or British schools, or to buy property in Canada or Australia...

....We originally planned to send our 7-year-old son to Canada for junior school next year or the year after. I had hoped he would adapt to the Western environment from an early age,” said Jade Zheng, who owns several flats in Shenzhen and runs a cafe.

“However, the economic impact of the pandemic has made us pessimistic about the family income over the coming few years, so we plan to postpone and keep him studying in Shenzhen until at least high school,” said Zheng, adding that on a recent visit to Toronto, she found that its appeal had faded since her days studying there in the early-2000s.

Over the past a few years, my friends and I had wanted to sell properties in Shenzhen and buy in Australia and Canada, but now we are less eager,” she said. “The property market in Shenzhen has doubled or even tripled in value over the past few years. But real estate in Europe, America and Japan appears to have limited room for appreciation.”....(bold mine)

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-e...mic-has-eroded

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

Is there an issue of qualified Canadian students not being admitted to Canadian universities? I’ve heard of people not getting into specific schools or highly competitive programs, but not of anyone being unable to get into any school.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:49 PM

The thing that shocked me the most was news that the Coquitlam PUBLIC school system may have to lay off 200 teachers because of a huge fall in revenue by not getting enough foreign students!. Yes, even out K to 12 system has now become addicted to foreign money to balance the books. Until the news of a week ago, I had no idea that any public schools allowed in foreign students.

A read about 60 of the comments in the Sun and nearly every single one were livid that our public system is allowing ANY foreign into the schools. Many were parents who could get their kids into the courses or extra-curricular academic programs because the foreign students had taken the spots and clearly were given priority because they were paying for them, like somehow Canadian taxpayers don't.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Seriously though Canada’s an integrated economy I hate how we’ve separated the country into East and west. I guess one bad thing about having a lot of land is that people use it as an excuse to hate on each other.
In this particular case it's not really East vs West but more like Tarsands Pushers vs Greenies.

Most Vancouverite forumers would be on my side of the argument here, despite being even more Western geographically than Calgary and Fort Mac.

(Note that the original question for this line of discussion was "how come Albertans are disliked?", not "how come Westerners are disliked?")

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:55 PM
Registered Drug User

Couple of head-scratchers in that one. The "health risks of living abroad"? Uh, okay. No. Literally anywhere that the mainland rich emigrate to is going to be an exponentially healthier place to live than China. Maybe nobody wants to go to Italy at the moment, but still, pandemics aside...

And sending 7-year-olds away to grow up in a private school or with aunts and uncles is just cruel. They "hoped he would adapt to the Western environment from an early age"?

Yikes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada