HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
They sure do but that will never happen under the current federal government.
Would an inquiry be a federal or a provincial matter, since the RCMP serves as Nova Scotia's provincial police?

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 1:37 AM

The province has (somewhat controversially) stated that they will "support" the Federal government if/when the Feds decide to launch an inquiry.

From the very beginning, the province has been doing its best to keep its hands clean and not get involved. It's starting to look pretty pathetic.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
The province has (somewhat controversially) stated that they will "support" the Federal government if/when the Feds decide to launch an inquiry.

From the very beginning, the province has been doing its best to keep its hands clean and not get involved. It's starting to look pretty pathetic.
Interesting - that implies that when a province contracts the RCMP to provide policing, it hands over significant powers to the federal government. I guess it would be a problem if the federal government lost jurisdiction over its police officers, but it still seems a surprising result.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:37 AM

One of the reasons it's controversial is because it does in fact seem to be under provincial jurisdiction and so it kind of looks like the Province is flaking its way out of this and/or doesn't even understand what is and is not under its own jurisdiction.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
One of the reasons it's controversial is because it does in fact seem to be under provincial jurisdiction and so it kind of looks like the Province is flaking its way out of this and/or doesn't even understand what is and is not under its own jurisdiction.
It's never been clearer to me than right now how incompetent our authorities are. What a shame because we had a great thing going here for a while...

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 5:58 PM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5573136

2 men are dead and 2 still hospitalized after what Halton Regional Police (Oakville Detachment) described as a targeted shooting. I’d be curious to know what guns were used.

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 7:11 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Not really stats, but my family went to the town my dad grew up in to go to the cemetery to upkeep my brother's grave. We looked around and we saw a big monument that had been newly erected for the Klaus family. My parents knew some of the members of the Klaus family and their memorial was near to ours. A little further away we were stunned to see that Punky Gustavson, perhaps the most famous murder victim in Edmonton's history was buried nearby. My parents then remembered that they knew one of the suspects, who was notorious as he appeared with his not then yet his wife at a wedding my parents were also attending and had brandished a knife at the wedding.

That was interesting to learn. I guess she was interred there four years ago after the murder case was finally solved and the sentence was handed down to the murderer.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:48 PM

Had a disturbing one in Edmonton Yesterday. A 7 year old girl was stabbed by a family friend.

Edmonton had a lull but the last couple of weeks we have had at least 2 more.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 8:33 PM

There was an unusual one in Toronto the other day - a shooting of two men, one dead. The shooter, a 30 year old man, turned himself in to the police the following day.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Had a disturbing one in Edmonton Yesterday. A 7 year old girl was stabbed by a family friend.

Edmonton had a lull but the last couple of weeks we have had at least 2 more.
Fee pretty bad for the mother in this one. Trying to do the right thing but went about it the wrong way and her child payed the price for it. Guy was having mental issues so she brought him in to her home to try and help him. Guy clearly needed hospitalization and proper authorities should have been called to handle the situation. I think with her husband having committed suicide last year and her striving for mental health she thought she was better equipped to handle it than she was.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 9:16 PM
Community Guy

Horrific/tragic is what it was...is...will be.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:23 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Fee pretty bad for the mother in this one. Trying to do the right thing but went about it the wrong way and her child payed the price for it. Guy was having mental issues so she brought him in to her home to try and help him. Guy clearly needed hospitalization and proper authorities should have been called to handle the situation. I think with her husband having committed suicide last year and her striving for mental health she thought she was better equipped to handle it than she was.
Proper authorities were called but the authorities didn't feel they had enough cause to admit him in.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 5:20 AM

An absolute tragedy.

I apologise for being a broken record but I just get the sense that we don't know what we're doing anymore. Or perhaps I'm being too harsh - maybe our system is so broken that there's little any cop can do. I mean, why bother arresting someone when they'll just bounce right back out on the street?

Just look at the guy. A big boy. Covered in tattoos. Gold teeth. Completely unhinged. What kind of record does he have? How many times have the police paid him a visit? Assault? Drug possession?

We'll likely never know because the press won't bother asking but I can guarantee you that this is someone who should have already been behind bars or in some other sort of facility.

Oh well, let's keep going with the kinder, gentler approach we've decided works better, shall we?

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 5:41 AM

And this is why suicide is a goddamned sin. You have a wife and two young daughters. Get help and suck it the hell up.

Jesus Christ I need a holiday...

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:36 PM

Mid-size metros roundups so far..........Hamilton 5, Windsor 4, KW 2, Victoria 2, Niagara 2, London 1.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:44 PM

30 for Toronto

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:47 PM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzJones View Post
30 for Toronto
Speaking of GTA, this may be a great watch. It's 2 minutes long.
https://twitter.com/yrp/status/1265282125294710786?s=21

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzJones View Post
30 for Toronto
Slightly below last year’s pace?

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Speaking of GTA, this may be a great watch. It's 2 minutes long.
https://twitter.com/yrp/status/1265282125294710786?s=21
WTF?! I've never heard of this happening anywhere else in North America. There must be huge money to be made in the towing industry in the Toronto area.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Slightly below last year’s pace?
At this time last year Toronto was at 26, which ended in 79 murders. There were 35 homicides in 2018 by this time, which ended in 96 total by the years end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada