HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I should hope so. But my point was that our politics is so toxic that the only people who can get in are those who are like that. So we will never end up with policy wonks running for office.
Exactly. The best we can hope for are those popular enough to get elected, but smart enough to let experts guide policy. Trudeau is pretty good in that respect when he's not trying to be too woke.

As popular as Freeland is for a replacement, can she run a campaign with charisma?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Exactly. The best we can hope for are those popular enough to get elected, but smart enough to let experts guide policy. Trudeau is pretty good in that respect when he's not trying to be too woke.

As popular as Freeland is for a replacement, can she run a campaign with charisma?
I don’t know that it’s charismatic, but Freeland can cry on cue ...

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
The LPC, CPC and NDP have all applied for subsidies:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp...gram-1.5580668

I would expect the Bloc and Greens to also apply eventually.
I can see that coming back to bite the Conservatives somehow.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Well this is interesting, though as an employer I suppose it is fair game for them to apply:

New Democratic Party to apply for federal wage subsidy as donations dry up
In 2018, the NDP booked about $2.5 million in salaries and benefits
John Paul Tasker, Ashley Burke · CBC News · Posted: May 22, 2020

The NDP employs 17 full-time staff with another 15 to 20 working part-time, including students, working mothers and new Canadians, who are tasked with fundraising, bookkeeping, administrative functions and running the party's digital platforms.

"We think it's really important to stay active and functioning. To do that includes paying the bills and paying our workers," NDP national director Anne McGrath said...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp...gram-1.5580668
All the more reason why we will not see another federal election for at LEAST a year. The only party the Liberals have to worry about in terms of bringing down their de-facto majority government is the NDP. Needless to say the NDP are absolutely broke and forget trying to run an election, this is a party that's having a hard time keeping the lights on.

Think about it, the party is broke and yet only has 17 full time and 20 part-time workers. Seriously, that's not even the staffing level of your standard McDonald's.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 6:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I can see that coming back to bite the Conservatives somehow.
Why? If the Libbies and Dippers are going to take advantage of this, then why not the Cons????

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Why? If the Libbies and Dippers are going to take advantage of this, then why not the Cons????
I'd agree, although I wonder why the Cons are applying - I thought that they were flush, compared to the other parties.

I assume this is part of a "gentleman's agreement" that they've made among themselves to not make an issue of it.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

If Freeland can go a bit right she could pick up a lot of CPC votes including mine.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Because Cons generally try to make political hay out of this kind of government program. Witness Scheer's continual bleating about possible CERB cheaters.

And kwoldtimer is right, the Cons reportedly have lots of cash but they're dipping into a taxpayer-funded program to fund their political activity rather than their cash reserves. Not a good look.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 8:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
And kwoldtimer is right, the Cons reportedly have lots of cash but they're dipping into a taxpayer-funded program to fund their political activity rather than their cash reserves. Not a good look.
Perhaps, but I doubt that the Cons would get any brownie point for taking the high road.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:30 PM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
If Freeland can go a bit right she could pick up a lot of CPC votes including mine.

Whoa whoa whoa.... No she won't....we all see who she is and what shes all about. Seriously lol.

She's as crazy as the rest of those nuts. She is no leader. She has no skills in diplomacy, economics or politics. This is fact.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:36 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Whoa whoa whoa.... No she won't....we all see who she is and what shes all about. Seriously lol.

She's as crazy as the rest of those nuts. She is no leader. She has no skills in diplomacy, economics or politics. This is fact.
lol, fact.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Did Trudeau even take intro to economics in college?

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:47 PM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Did Trudeau even take intro to economics in college?

Trudeau....this guy has a hard time with basic information. He's an insult to hard working Canadians who actually have businesses. He knows nothing about life and business and is an insult to the working family who wants to get ahead in this country.

Trudeau's signature initial "deer in the headlight paralysis" followed by his inevitable knee-jerk overreaction response to every crises the Liberals have inflicted upon Canada since they cursed the nation with their criminally inept governance, is not the way to “rule” a country.

Trudeau's arrogance and stupidity are absolutely staggering...And believe me...anyone who follows this recipe is on the same path. Sickening.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 12:37 AM
Heart of the Continent

No one ever alleged that Justin Trudeau was a genius. Where he excels is his tendency to surround himself with smart people.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 12:48 AM

I see we're back to treating politicians with civility....

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 12:49 AM

Sort of. That statement reminds me more of George W. Bush but on reflection I can see some parallels for sure.

This kind of falls apart when you consider the SNC-Lavalin affair (etc) though. There's no point in surrounding yourself with smart people if you won't listen to them.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 12:57 AM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Sort of. That statement reminds me more of George W. Bush but on reflection I can see some parallels for sure.

This kind of falls apart when you consider the SNC-Lavalin affair (etc) though. There's no point in surrounding yourself with smart people if you won't listen to them.
Well, I sure hope the minority election result has served him a good lesson. LPC, CPC and NDPC all got a good slap in the face.

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 1:25 AM

Quote:

Freeland has accomplished more in her lifetime then most people would ever dream of. So no....it's not "fact". More like...OPINION.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Because Cons generally try to make political hay out of this kind of government program. Witness Scheer's continual bleating about possible CERB cheaters.

I agree that the Tories are flush but I am sure their donations are also way down. With the money people do have, they are far more likely to use it to support local businesses or charities that are in desperate need of help. In a pandemic, helping out political parties is not at the top of anyone's to-do list. Having Sheer still trying to cling on and having a rather boring list of candidates doesn't help.

Remember also that the Tories may have more money in the bank right now they also have a HUGE expense coming up that the other parties don't........a leadership convention. After that whopping bill is paid, they are going to find it much more difficult rebuilding their war chest than in normal times.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I agree that the Tories are flush but I am sure their donations are also way down. With the money people do have, they are far more likely to use it to support local businesses or charities that are in desperate need of help. In a pandemic, helping out political parties is not at the top of anyone's to-do list. Having Sheer still trying to cling on and having a rather boring list of candidates doesn't help.

Remember also that the Tories may have more money in the bank right now they also have a HUGE expense coming up that the other parties don't........a leadership convention. After that whopping bill is paid, they are going to find it much more difficult rebuilding their war chest than in normal times.
You usually would think that it’s a large conflict of interest for politicians to use federal funds on their political party.

Likely they all agreed to this mutually as a past poster pointed out. Probably the Conservatives were a bit against it but as everyone else was they went with it.

Seems a bit slimy but what can you do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada