HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 12:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Another problem with using Glenmore would be the cost to upgrade certain sections to true freeway standards so the speed limit could be 100 or 110. That along with the dangerous goods issue is probably why the current plan is to use 901. As far as I'm concerned they would still need to upgrade the existing road so there's a more direct route into the "middle" of Calgary. My preference would be to divert the #1 into Glenmore. As you said dangerous goods could use 201 to avoid the causeway. The southerly route could be signed as 101 and used for people who want to bypass the city when going west or east. For shippers it would be a lot faster than having to come where the existing #1 intersects the 201 and then having to go half way around the city.

If any of the above gets done in my lifetime I'll be way too old to care. Would be nice if they started now just to create jobs and improve the transportation network in the region.
And the darned Medicine Hat Bypass and Crowsnest Freeway

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Another problem with using Glenmore would be the cost to upgrade certain sections to true freeway standards so the speed limit could be 100 or 110. That along with the dangerous goods issue is probably why the current plan is to use 901. As far as I'm concerned they would still need to upgrade the existing road so there's a more direct route into the "middle" of Calgary. My preference would be to divert the #1 into Glenmore. As you said dangerous goods could use 201 to avoid the causeway. The southerly route could be signed as 101 and used for people who want to bypass the city when going west or east. For shippers it would be a lot faster than having to come where the existing #1 intersects the 201 and then having to go half way around the city.

If any of the above gets done in my lifetime I'll be way too old to care. Would be nice if they started now just to create jobs and improve the transportation network in the region.
Upgrading to 100 km/h probably won't happen, but 80 km/h would still be a significant improvement to 50 km/h with signals every 2 blocks. It would be comparable with Whitemud Dr, Circle Dr, and a free flow Yellowhead Tr.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 5:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Repost from waterloowarrior: https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2020/...o-renfrew.html

M.T.O.'s extending Highway 417 (TCH Upper Ottawa Valley Route) from Arnprior (64 km from Ottawa) to the town of Renfrew (86 km from Ottawa).
Stage 1 (to be commenced): Interchange at Calabogie Road (Renfrew County Roads 508 & 54)
Stage 2 (down the road): 3 interchanges by Renfrew and twinning

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:36 AM

This spring there were supposed to be scheduled closures and detours on the TCH as part of Phase 4 of the Kicking Horse Canyon upgrade. In light of everything that happened over the last couple months, does anyone know if that's still happening or if the project is on hold?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
This spring there were supposed to be scheduled closures and detours on the TCH as part of Phase 4 of the Kicking Horse Canyon upgrade. In light of everything that happened over the last couple months, does anyone know if that's still happening or if the project is on hold?
This is the perfect time for them to be working on that project. It would be crazy for them to put the project on hold.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:48 AM

Quote:
This is the perfect time for them to be working on that project. It would be crazy for them to put the project on hold.
Checked the website after I posted the question; construction won't begin until Fall 2020.

It's true though. If the BC government wanted a passive aggressive way of closing the provincial border, starting construction would be one way to do it. Fortunately that hasn't been the case.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Checked the website after I posted the question; construction won't begin until Fall 2020.

It's true though. If the BC government wanted a passive aggressive way of closing the provincial border, starting construction would be one way to do it. Fortunately that hasn't been the case.
Why are they waiting until fall to start construction? Is this a ploy to do as little as possible so they can appeal to their anti-car base in Vancouver during next spring's election?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Why are they waiting until fall to start construction? Is this a ploy to do as little as possible so they can appeal to their anti-car base in Vancouver during next spring's election?
Or maybe that's just when the contract was to start the work, or they need to plan, whatever? Why does it have to be a conspiracy every time for you?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Considering they changed the project to all union workers, I doubt that appealing to the "anti-car base" by delaying a project 900 km away wouldn't accomplish much. Not following through on their union contract would isolate a different NDP block when they need to expand on their razer thin balance of power.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Is this a ploy to do as little as possible so they can appeal to their anti-car base in Vancouver during next spring's election?
You think the "anti-car base" cares about a construction project 800 km away?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
You think the "anti-car base" cares about a construction project 800 km away?
They do. They want every transportation dollar available to be pumped into transit in the lower mainland.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 7:12 AM

Quote:
They do. They want every transportation dollar available to be pumped into transit in the lower mainland.
Source for those "facts"?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Or maybe that's just when the contract was to start the work, or they need to plan, whatever? Why does it have to be a conspiracy every time for you?
Yeah, if I were to guess, I would say it probably had something to do with design changes or getting approvals all sorted. Starting in the fall is far from ideal for construction in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Yeah, if I were to guess, I would say it probably had something to do with design changes or getting approvals all sorted. Starting in the fall is far from ideal for construction in Canada.
I suspect the original plan wanted to avoid the high volumes associated with summer traffic. Since most construction companies have allocated their resources already, moving up the schedule would have likely caused more disruption on other projects.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I suspect the original plan wanted to avoid the high volumes associated with summer traffic. Since most construction companies have allocated their resources already, moving up the schedule would have likely caused more disruption on other projects.
At least now I know that I don’t have to decide my routes in Medicine Hat until Fall for my hypothetical crosscountry trip.
Actually, where’s mannysantos? This will be useful information for him!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:08 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Wave46 nailed it, the Province did not want to start construction until after peak travel season.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:14 PM

I got the impression from the Calgary Herald article from last fall that closures would start this spring, but re-reading the article it mentioned that construction would begin this year and closures would be permitted Apr 1-May 15 and Sept 15-Nov 30; nothing specifically saying that it would be closed sometime between April 1-May 15, 2020.

I maintain that regardless of the Lower Mainland/South Coast anti-car sentiment, if that was really the ploy to not fund the KH Canyon, an announcement would not have been made...period. It's already taken this long to get to Phase 4, so if the governing party really didn't want it to happen, it would quietly go to the archives of history like so many other projects (i.e. Hwy 1/95 interchange in Golden).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:20 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Wave46 nailed it, the Province did not want to start construction until after peak travel season.
The mundanity of reasonable explanations.

While we expend much effort on the nuances of project timing and political gain, mundane explanations generally explain most of the banal things that happen in ordinary life.

These projects have a handful of companies who can deliver them. Since a construction company has only so many employees who are probably working flat-out in the summer, it's not like they can be shifted around without delays on another project.

Most other projects have deadlines too, the province has to pick and choose what it wants done first and how the timing works from a logistical point-of-view. Starting the project in the fall allows construction companies to focus their efforts on projects on more minor highways not as subject to summer peaks.

When fall hits and the traffic declines, you can start with less disruption on other projects and to traffic flow.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
At least now I know that I don’t have to decide my routes in Medicine Hat until Fall for my hypothetical crosscountry trip.
Actually, where’s mannysantos? This will be useful information for him!
The Crowsnest Hwy (Hwy 3) is scenic, but it actually longer between Medicine Hat and Hope - indirect and a lot of vertical kms. Taking Hwy 93 between Castle Jct, AB (Banff National Park) and Radium Hot Springs, then taking Hwy 95 to Golden adds 1.5 hrs but is a good detour.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Maybe it’s a mental thing for me.
“If I have to make that kind of detour, I may as well detour all the way.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada