HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I picked up the brand new DJI Mavic Mini micro drone on release day yesterday and I've been having a blast with it. It is light enough that it's classified as a toy in Canada so I am able to fly it legally and safely in more places than my other drone. I got a few shots today including
This is exactly what we needed on this forum! Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 12:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Incorrect. In Canada sub 250 gram 'toy drones' are not classified at all but there is one single line in the law requiring you to fly responsibly. Don Joyce explains it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXf...jSJLu&index=42

I have also found some non legal wording from Transport Canada's website saying that sub 250 gram drones should not be flown 'over airports'.

It is different in the US where sub 250 grams don't need to be registered but have the exact same rules at regular drones.
Wow, really?! That needs to change. As small as it is, I'm sure that it would still do some serious damage to an aircraft if it were sucked into a jet engine, no? Just because DJI has intentionally designed it to be 1g under the weight limit, doesn't mean that it's not dangerous in the wrong situation.

Neat piece of technology, though. And that's an awesome photo!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Wow, really?! That needs to change. As small as it is, I'm sure that it would still do some serious damage to an aircraft if it were sucked into a jet engine, no? Just because DJI has intentionally designed it to be 1g under the weight limit, doesn't mean that it's not dangerous in the wrong situation.

Neat piece of technology, though. And that's an awesome photo!
Absolutely disagree. The body of the mini fits in the palm of my hand and is made of foam with a plastic shell and the battery pack is internal (surrounded by the foam body) and about the size and weight of a pair of AA batteries. I can't see it doing any damage to an aircraft or even a person unless you hit someone in the face at full throttle. It's the weight of a phone but made of foam. Regulators determined that under 250 grams is safe but I feel like DJI went out of their way to make sure it really is. If they change the regulations now they are debunking their own formula and that would just be fickle.

Last edited by Harley613; Nov 18, 2019 at 1:24 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Absolutely disagree. The body of the mini fits in the palm of my hand and is made of foam with a plastic shell and the battery pack is internal (surrounded by the foam body) and about the size and weight of a pair of AA batteries. I can't see it doing any damage to an aircraft or even a person unless you hit someone in the face at full throttle. It's the weight of a phone but made of foam. Regulators determined that under 250 grams is safe but I feel like DJI went out of their way to make sure it really is. If they change the regulations now they are debunking their own formula and that would just be fickle.
I tend to agree that if the DJI Mini strikes something, say an aircraft windscreen, it would probably just bounce off. But being the same weight as a small pigeon, but with some metal internals, would it not do damage to an aircraft engine if it got ingested?

According to this article, engines must be able to withstand a strike from multiple medium-size flocking birds (such as gulls) weighing 0.7 to 1.3 kilograms. https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...of-jet-engines

A DJI Mini is a third of the weight of a small gull. Ingesting it might not cripple an aircraft engine, but I'm guessing that it would still cause damage. Maybe that's a risk that Transport Canada is willing to take?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I tend to agree that if the DJI Mini strikes something, say an aircraft windscreen, it would probably just bounce off. But being the same weight as a small pigeon, but with some metal internals, would it not do damage to an aircraft engine if it got ingested?

According to this article, engines must be able to withstand a strike from multiple medium-size flocking birds (such as gulls) weighing 0.7 to 1.3 kilograms. https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...of-jet-engines

A DJI Mini is a third of the weight of a small gull. Ingesting it might not cripple an aircraft engine, but I'm guessing that it would still cause damage. Maybe that's a risk that Transport Canada is willing to take?
No sizeable metal internals. The body is foam with a plastic shell and the arms are plastic. The 'drone', or 'toy' really, since it's not classified at a 'Remotely Piloted Aircraft System' by the majority of nations, is so insignificant without the batteries that it actually FEELS as light as a tiny piece of foam. There is dime sized amount of metal in the tiny motors. There is tiny plastic circuit board above the battery and a plastic battery about the size and weight of two AA batteries strapped together. If it was sucked into an engine or hit by a rotor it would effectively be the same impact as a couple of AA batteries or a mid sized piece of hail. There is a reason that 250 grams was chosen by most nations and that's because it's not considered dangerous by experts on the topic, and having a drone that is one gram lighter I honestly think they gave some leeway there because as I said above it's so light that you'd have to be flying full tilt and hit someone right in the face to really hurt them, especially considering the battery weight is surrounded by foam. If an aircraft ingested a single one of these Mavic Minis I can NOT believe it would do damage. That being said I still think it's on the operators of this new class of toy to fly them responsibly and away from airports and aircraft. I would not fly mine anywhere near a flightpath or an airport and I would never share airspace with a helicopter or light aircraft. I see this device more as a 'flying camera' which is what DJI is calling it. It's a toy with a good camera that you can fly up and get a new angle for a selfie or a building or a waterfall or whatever you fancy. I hope people are smart and respectful because I don't want this ruined for everyone!

Last edited by Harley613; Nov 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 6:42 PM

I agree the small "CLARIDGE" on top of the tower doesn't look that great. I almost feel like it would look better if it were complimented with a larger ICON in cursive or nice writing underneath.

But maybe that would make it worst? I don't know..

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Incorrect. In Canada sub 250 gram 'toy drones' are not classified at all but there is one single line in the law requiring you to fly responsibly. Don Joyce explains it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXf...jSJLu&index=42

I have also found some non legal wording from Transport Canada's website saying that sub 250 gram drones should not be flown 'over airports'.

It is different in the US where sub 250 grams don't need to be registered but have the exact same rules at regular drones.
I'm going to have to check this out. I have not bothered looking into getting a drone since I'm in Blossom Park, so within the 3nm radius of the airport.

I have no intention of ever flying it over the airport but if I could legally fly it at low altitude in the neighbourhood, I'd consider one.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:01 AM

I'm not sure if this is real, but here's a picture from the @discover.ottawa Instagram account of someone standing on top of the Icon. Gives a nice close up of the sign.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:53 PM

Cool picture, regardless if it's been fabricated...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:08 PM

Harley, another great pic, thanks for sharing!

I'm really not a fan of this building, other than its height. It looks cheap. No surprise, given it's Claridge. Too bad though...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:17 PM
Kickass User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I'm not sure if this is real, but here's a picture from the @discover.ottawa Instagram account of someone standing on top of the Icon. Gives a nice close up of the sign.
Check out their account, I would think the photo is real... @discover.ottawa

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:05 PM

Yes the pic is real. The photographer is a 'rooftopper' that illegally breaks into various sites around the city and posts shots anonymously on Instagram. Shots are great but risky!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:06 AM

Ugh, the balconies really look cheap.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 10:06 PM

Smile

interior drywall up to lv15 now.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 12:02 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEGEWU View Post
interior drywall up to lv15 now.
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
Ugh, the balconies really look cheap.
As happy as I am that we have a 45 storey building in Ottawa, I've been more and more disappointed with this building the closer it gets to completion. That huge Claridge sign at the top is just icing on the cake.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
As happy as I am that we have a 45 storey building in Ottawa, I've been more and more disappointed with this building the closer it gets to completion. That huge Claridge sign at the top is just icing on the cake.
I agree. I will be happy when this building ISN'T the tallest thing in town and it's just adding height and density. Right now it's a beacon and it ain't all that pretty. The balconies and the sign just ruin it for me.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:38 AM
National Capital Region

Don't think it was posted yet, but I saw the Claridge sign lit up at night (in white)

Cheapest unit is now 388k
https://storage.googleapis.com/morph...17-DEC-19).pdf

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 12:59 AM
National Capital Region

sunny day out today

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 1:16 AM

Great shot. This guy needs a friend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa