HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 10:25 AM

Uh oh. Not sure why density transfer basically across the street is such a bad thing to some one. Not surprised that Gnu was horrified by it as well.

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...urnaby-5509305

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The "wall" works well enough for Toronto and New York's suburbs, doesn't it? Small-towners might feel claustrophobic, but more likely most people'll only see the podiums.
Ughh New york is nothing but a concrete jungle. I wish they would space these towers out and make them more slender. The design from West to East looks good but from South to North is terrible.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:13 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Uh oh. Not sure why density transfer basically across the street is such a bad thing to some one. Not surprised that Gnu was horrified by it as well.

weird. i dont get why theyd dislike it either; its a good idea.

if we want to be NYC, you can transfer it to other boroughs.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 1:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
weird. i dont get why theyd dislike it either; its a good idea.

if we want to be NYC, you can transfer it to other boroughs.

I think it has to do with the idea of the City pursuing a plan that seeks to create diverse communities within mega developments like this with a decent range of income levels among the occupants rather than balkanizing the low and middle income earners over there, and essentially creating "gated" communities with wealthy strata owners on this other side - even if they might just be a couple of blocks away from each other.

I don't entirely fault the city in this and I think these towers could have been designed better with that idea in mind having parts of them be rental or affordable housing within the same complex as the market units.
Sure, things like the amenities will be divided between whichever type of unit a person stays in, but overall you will have (ideally) nice range of income levels of families, which presumably should lead to a more enriched community.

At least that's what the plan is supposed to be whenever you have municipalities insisting on a certain minimum percentage of a particular development be rental or non-market housing.
Even if it means putting them in a separate tower but within the same complex.

This wouldn't(shouldn't) be a difficult matter to resolve back in the drawing board.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 1:59 AM

Well most of the developments as they stand aren't that inclusionary so being off-site might not be a bad thing if they don't skimp out on it design/amenity wise.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 2:58 AM

I can see maintaining those moveable balcony enclosures being a strata headache if they are maintgained by the strata (i.e. I suspect so, as the bacony would be limited use common property).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 3:31 AM

I guess it helps a bit that the immediate area around Lougheed already has a ton of rental and lots more coming in other projects, so at least the neighbourhood will have some income diversity regardless. Pretty sure the policy in question was a response to the total mess the previous council made in the Metrotown area and it's definitely a different situation here.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 4:43 AM

What is the mess in Metrotown that you speak of? Most people wants to live with those that are as or more affluent as themselves. It's the politicians that want to force mixing people with different socioeconomic statuses.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 5:52 AM

I'm referring to razing virtually entire blocks of affordable rentals to make way for exclusively luxury market condos. And yeah it's not just politicians who want places for lower income folks in neigbourhoods with good transit and amenities.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 6:20 AM

Yeah, we shouldn't turn the SkyTrain into a yuppies-only train. There's also a practical element in that said yuppies need blue collars and minimum-wagers in their neighbourhood to serve lattes and fix plumbing that they can't or won't do themselves.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 7:36 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
What is the mess in Metrotown that you speak of? Most people wants to live with those that are as or more affluent as themselves. It's the politicians that want to force mixing people with different socioeconomic statuses.
Now you have passed into the ridiculous. Affluence does not equal 'good,' or 'educated,' or 'interesting.' Give me good interesting neighbours anytime. A mix of incomes makes for a healthy mix of people because a mix is what good interesting people earn. Money as a measure? A little sad I think?

(Note: from your history of trying to show off your wealth, we might be ". . . as or more affluent . . ." than each other. I would hate to be stuck having to talk to you with your overly simple take on life. What a bore that would be.)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Now you have passed into the ridiculous. Affluence does not equal 'good,' or 'educated,' or 'interesting.' Give me good interesting neighbours anytime. A mix of incomes makes for a healthy mix of people because a mix is what good interesting people earn. Money as a measure? A little sad I think?

(Note: from your history of trying to show off your wealth, we might be ". . . as or more affluent . . ." than each other. I would hate to be stuck having to talk to you with your overly simple take on life. What a bore that would be.)
yes, there was a story in Surrey last year, a house hosted a big party for wedding and partied into the night pissing of neighbours, they had loud music and a ferris wheel and stuff. There were lots of complaints and they got fined and laughed it off basically as the fine was such a small price to pay as they had the money and found it laughable.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 7:30 PM

Across the street from the Still Creek Costco.

Tesla’s plans for new 30,000sqft Burnaby Service Center revealed [British Columbia]
June 24, 2022 Darryn John

Last year we told you about a proposal to rezone and redevelop a large industrial building at 2505 Eastbrook Parkway in Burnaby to be used as a new Tesla Sales, Service, and Delivery Center.

The plans for the new location have now been revealed, showing Tesla plans to do some signification renovations on the 30,000 square foot building.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tes...ervice-center/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 7:41 PM

Yeah, you definitely want to have a mix of people in your neighborhood, otherwise you end up with terrible neighbourhoods like Coal Harbour, or the Downtown Eastside, or Metrotown.

Mt. Pleasant was voted the best neighbourhood in Vancouver, and I can tell you because I live here, it is extremely diverse economically.

I completely disagree with this notion that most people want to live in an exclusive neighbourhood. What an ignorant, uneducated point of view.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 1:14 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Rendering showing massing is out for the 40 floor tower in Edmonds >>

Highgate Tower
KINGSWAY, BURNABY, BC

On the vibrant Kingsway corridor of South Burnaby, a 40-storey tower makes a striking architectural impression with a mesmerizing pattern of horizontal and vertical design elements. The collection of homes will feature impeccable interiors designed for both function and beauty, along with stunning views of the North Shore Mountains and Fraser Valley. The progressive nature of the building extends into a variety of forward amenities that will complement modern-day living. The tower is centrally located amongst shops, restaurants, and services only steps away, and the animated energy of Metrotown is close. Accessibility to transit and nature, such as the Highland Park Line Trail, elevates the lifestyle experience even more. Highgate Tower will be a bold statement in living.

https://www.openformproperties.ca/projects.php

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 8:24 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Across the street from the Still Creek Costco.

Tesla’s plans for new 30,000sqft Burnaby Service Center revealed [British Columbia]
June 24, 2022 Darryn John

Last year we told you about a proposal to rezone and redevelop a large industrial building at 2505 Eastbrook Parkway in Burnaby to be used as a new Tesla Sales, Service, and Delivery Center.

The plans for the new location have now been revealed, showing Tesla plans to do some signification renovations on the 30,000 square foot building.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tes...ervice-center/
good to see. Burnaby has been impressing me, for the most part, with what they've been doing as a city. overall i hope they keep it going on the right path. i wish i could say the same about the CoV. that place is doomed.

i do hope for some small things, such as no laneway houses. (living next to one of those sucks). keeping the single family neighbourhoods integrity as single family and avoid density in them. (keeping the density around the town centres). and that the Lake City Area goes into more high tech/business/filming vs the industrial uses now.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 8:47 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Yeah, you definitely want to have a mix of people in your neighborhood, otherwise you end up with terrible neighbourhoods like Coal Harbour, or the Downtown Eastside, or Metrotown.

Mt. Pleasant was voted the best neighbourhood in Vancouver, and I can tell you because I live here, it is extremely diverse economically.

I completely disagree with this notion that most people want to live in an exclusive neighbourhood. What an ignorant, uneducated point of view.
If only the mean-spirited, xenophobes among us would just shut up instead of barking away at every opportunity. Klazu: what do you get from it? You seem to have a good life (maybe your job is horrible), what do you gain from always being unkind (ungenerous and unsympathetic) to others . . . notably to those you obviously feel are beneath you? "You drag on from pathos to pathetic, and tire we all." (Fernando Pessoa, who knows the petty roots of fascistic thinking.)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 1:09 PM

Quote:
good to see. Burnaby has been impressing me, for the most part, with what they've been doing as a city. overall i hope they keep it going on the right path. i wish i could say the same about the CoV. that place is doomed.

i do hope for some small things, such as no laneway houses. (living next to one of those sucks). keeping the single family neighbourhoods integrity as single family and avoid density in them. (keeping the density around the town centres). and that the Lake City Area goes into more high tech/business/filming vs the industrial uses now.
Laneway houses are coming to Burnaby 100%. Should be all done next year.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:

Also there is no such thing a single family neighbourhoods. Lots of them have suits (legal or illegal) so that could have two families already. I think that whole R zone should be scraped.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
I'm referring to razing virtually entire blocks of affordable rentals to make way for exclusively luxury market condos. And yeah it's not just politicians who want places for lower income folks in neigbourhoods with good transit and amenities.
@invisibleairwaves. Are we not all aware that Burnaby has a 20% inclusionary rental policy? At least 20% of the units are below market rental (when taking down existing rental). There is also additional market rental density available on top which many are building. Also existing tenants are "accommodated" between displacement and construction completion. The tenants have first right of refusal to come back into the new build at their existing rents/affordable rents. Its never easy being displaced but its a pretty good compromise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley