HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 9:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Sears, Radio Shack, and shitty Oldsmobiles on winter roads.

And Shopper's Dog Fart.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 9:53 PM
Fake News

A streetview from 2019 shows Showhome Furniture having a grand opening sale. They briefly occupied the former SEARS in Southcentre mall as well around that time. Southcentre's is currently being subdivided into a Winners, Petland and Decathlon now. It was 3 floors and I'm curious to see if the Dacathlon occupies the second and third or just the second floor. I imagine the top floor being an untouched creepy shell with mannequins still occupying the storage areas covered in dust. I can still hear the haunting sounds from when I worked in the hardware department up there including the asian man flagging me down on my way to the bathroom shouting "There's poops! Poops everywhere!" as I narrowly avoided the brown footsteps on the ground.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0667...i6656?hl=en-US

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 19, 2021 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:04 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Sears, Radio Shack, and shitty Oldsmobiles on winter roads.

And Shopper's Dog Fart.
Not a recent photo, but pretty much the same today. The SEARS was straight out of Dawn of the Dead. It's even rumoured to be haunted by a former janitor.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:26 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I hate PATH. It sucks the life out of the downtown streets and you feel like a rat in maze never seeing the light of day.

I don't like underground cities in general but at least Montreal's system is somewhat esthetically pleasing. If I had to develope such a system I would go with Calgary's Plus15/30 which at least allows you to see the streets and sunshine and is easier to orient yourself due to this.

It's not that I disagree with the idea of connecting buildings together per se but rather what things like PATH have morphed into............dark, unpleasant, utilitarian downtown malls.
Bay Street was a gong show during afternoon rush before Covid. The core's underground PATH's capacity was absolutely needed. I don't see where it sucked the life out of downtown streets.

I prefer these rush hour overflow systems to be uninviting. The more inviting, the greater potnential it does suck the life out of downtown streets. A few plus 15 bridges here and there like the PATH plus 15 system is not going to make a huge impact. Some of the wider bridges in Calgary and/or streets with many ped bridges do impact the public realm beneath them and not in a pleasant way.

The PATH was original envisioned as an open air plus 15 network. The walkways around Nathan Philllips Square including the locked and the plus 15 connection to the Sheraton across Queen Street, First Canadian Plus 15 podium plazas and food court , Royal Bank Plaza's plus 15 level podium plaza are some of the built components from the original vision.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 12:23 PM

I assume North Hill Centre is not long for this world... I stopped in there back in July because my kid wanted a Calgary Hitmen hat from the Flames' store, and it felt like the place has pretty much given up. Which is odd because most commercial/retail centres in Calgary feel thriving and prosperous. North Hill is weak even by Winnipeg standards. It feels like the owners are just biding their time until they can redevelop the whole site.

I will never forget the nasty bout of food poisoning I got from eating fish and chips at the North Hill food court in 1994. Don't ask me how I know it was the fish and chips.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:26 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I assume North Hill Centre is not long for this world... I stopped in there back in July because my kid wanted a Calgary Hitmen hat from the Flames' store, and it felt like the place has pretty much given up. Which is odd because most commercial/retail centres in Calgary feel thriving and prosperous. North Hill is weak even by Winnipeg standards. It feels like the owners are just biding their time until they can redevelop the whole site.

I will never forget the nasty bout of food poisoning I got from eating fish and chips at the North Hill food court in 1994. Don't ask me how I know it was the fish and chips.
Actually there was a developer planning on redeveloping the SEARS parking lot years ago but the deal fell through due to soil contamination from an old auto shop / gas station. It's funny because it has all the makings of a TOD with the train station next door and condo buildings attached.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 5:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^perhaps they should replace it with a "Michael's"

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 5:19 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^perhaps they should replace it with a "Michael's"

The warm and inviting gateway to any TOD.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

The warm and inviting gateway to any TOD.

This picture smells like potpourri

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:30 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This picture smells like potpourri
Mingled with hot glue and the smell of soiled Depends.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:39 AM

Again, what is "Bari"?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:43 AM

^^^^ Ya, I asked that before as well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Again, what is "Bari"?
A City in southern Italy and the source of one of the most amusing threads on the SSP forum

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=204693

and within it a post that was quite poignant.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=17

The original poster was known for his cherrypicking of facts to support his urban theories many of which were not supported by many and seemed to be rather dated.

Having said that, I do miss the original poster. He didn't flounce, lace his posts with unnecessary obscenities, bombard us with pictures of his pet, no gurning, and no repetitive minutae/stream of consciousness reporting of his daily life.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:34 PM
I am the law!

Forgot about miketoronto. I wonder what he is up to now. He studied Urban Planning at Ryerson and ran for council or trustee in his ward. Always polite. Always said hi. His posts were stories. Unfortunately, as stated above, he drew quick conclusions from cherry picking facts.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:45 PM

I like megadude's posts because they have a bit of that miketoronto storytelling vibe... just a lot less dramatic

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Forgot about miketoronto. I wonder what he is up to now. He studied Urban Planning at Ryerson and ran for council or trustee in his ward. Always polite. Always said hi. His posts were stories. Unfortunately, as stated above, he drew quick conclusions from cherry picking facts.
He's not the guy who does the podcasts under the name TorontoMike by any chance, is he?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
He's not the guy who does the podcasts under the name TorontoMike by any chance, is he?
No, I listen to him almost daily, and that's definitely not his bio.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:49 PM
I am the law!

miketoronto was a huge supporter of 1950s bedroom suburbia with transit instead of highways moving tens, hundreds of thousands, millions back and forth many kilometres to and from the downtown core. That was many years ago.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 9:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

He conjured up metro-wide revamped bus routes of incredible frequency.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 4:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The legend:
Video Link

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada