HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:38 PM

St. Laurent Shopping Centre

An application has been submitted to change the IL (Light Industrial) zones and the GM24 (General Mixed Use) zone of these properties to a new GM zone to permit expansion of the St. Laurent Shopping Centre up to 125,000 square meters

Looks like a Simons store (Québec City Based) would be added (northwest corner) to an almost doubled St.Laurent Shopping Centre...

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7OTIRU

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1992 View Post
An application has been submitted to change the IL (Light Industrial) zones and the GM24 (General Mixed Use) zone of these properties to a new GM zone to permit expansion of the St. Laurent Shopping Centre up to 125,000 square meters

Looks like a Simons store (Québec City Based) would be added (northwest corner) to an almost doubled St.Laurent Shopping Centre...

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7OTIRU
There is only one good place for Simons and it's in the abandoned two 4 storey building near Rideau Centre.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Betcha it is Simons. The site plan has an 70 or 80,000 sq ft department store on one level. That’s too big for an H&M, but quite similar in size to many of Simons’ stores in Quebec.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Betcha it is Simons. The site plan has an 70 or 80,000 sq ft department store on one level. That’s too big for an H&M, but quite similar in size to many of Simons’ stores in Quebec.
Looks like it is a Simons according to this link:
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-09-0054.PDF

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 2:10 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1992 View Post
Looks like it is a Simons according to this link:
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-09-0054.PDF
Though I agree it's almost certainly them, I can't find in the document where it says it is Simons.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 2:28 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here's the concept plan:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
There is only one good place for Simons and it's in the abandoned two 4 storey building near Rideau Centre.
I agree that the Rideau Street location is better but if there is one at St.Laurent, we will take it...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:32 PM
Mooderator

You'd think they'd build a Simons in Gatineau before Ottawa, but I suppose they would have studied such a proposition beforehand and concluded St-Laurent would be a better location.

I guess Les Ailes de la mode did the same thing with Bayshore.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
You'd think they'd build a Simons in Gatineau before Ottawa, but I suppose they would have studied such a proposition beforehand and concluded St-Laurent would be a better location.

Anglos == more money. They thought that Les Ailes would work in Bayshore. That's why I find it more appropriate for a Simons to be downtown, you have all the QC folks, plus the trendier people of the market.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 2:29 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

There were rumours in Gatineau that the Métro supermarket at Les Promenades de l'Outaouais that closed last year would become a Simons, perhaps with a second floor added on top of the 30 000 sq ft on the ground floor.

In the end, the former supermarket became a huge (for this type of chain at least) Urban Planet store that just opened this spring.

I think Simons is on somewhat safer ground at St. Laurent than Les Ailes de la Mode was at Bayshore. The company probably does not feel that way, but east end Ottawa is still a bigger gamble than Gatineau would have been - they're a well-known name across Quebec and tons of people from Quebec City live in Gatineau. Whereas in Ottawa they have to make their name, even among most Franco-Ontarians. Plus, the chain has one store per 200,000 people in the Quebec City region, and a store in Sherbrooke which is a city of 185,000 people. The urban Outaouais has close to 300,000 people (and a higher per capita income than Qc City and Sherbrooke), so it would surely be able to support this kind of store by itself.

Not sure either if the "Quebec pride" factor will hurt them. Les Ailes thought people from Gatineau (most of whom already knew the brand) would flock to their Bayshore store, and make up for the fact that Ottawans needed a bit of time to get to know the store. That didn't happen, and I overheard many people in Gatineau say that they refused to go to Les Ailes because a well-known Quebec chain had snubbed Gatineau in favour of Ottawa.

Simons is probably on safer ground at St. Laurent though, which is a much more popular more shopping destination for Gatineau residents than Bayshore is. Though it's not a good a choice as Rideau, as others here have mentioned.

Anyway, if the St. Laurent store turns out to be a success, it is quite possible that some other Simons stores will eventually pop up in the region, likely at Bayshore and in Gatineau and maybe Rideau.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:37 PM
Mooderator

I agree, it would have been fantastic for downtown (in the location you described).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I agree, it would have been fantastic for downtown (in the location you described).
Indeed... It would have been fantastic. The stretch between the Rideau Centre and King Edward could afford something new... other than Tattoo parlors... A Simons store would have brought a couple of other stores for sure... Let's hope that the Rideau Centre potential expansion will do just that.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 1:35 AM
Busy Beaver

I guess that means they'll be demolishing the old Sears. Too bad, I kind of like that building, built in a time when the anchor stores were uniquely designed to have a distinct character. Originally the Eaton's it has a bit of Japanese style in it especially in the entrances with the shoji-like glazing. I think the horizontal strips imbedded in the brick used to light up.

I remember when the Bay used to be where the foodcourt area is now. it was also a cool building, one storey with a great big dome in the centre. The mall then was a simple "dumbell" design, but I guess since the mall opened at the same time as Expo67, it had some quirky characteristics that rubbed off from the world's fair. The sweeping central roof is still evidence to this, but I wonder how long it will be until they take that down and put a second storey throughout the mall.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:09 PM

If a US-based fashion retailer (say, Macy's) came to Canada, would it do well?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:30 PM

If only. Nordstrom's would be even better.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 1:11 PM
Mooderator

Just missing the Giant Tiger handbag.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 2:45 PM
I'm just joking.

The thread reminds me of the debate I had with d_jeffery last year about Abercrombie and Fitch. Those were the days.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
The thread reminds me of the debate I had with d_jeffery last year about Abercrombie and Fitch. Those were the days.
If you can find better jeans, tell me! I could be killed in a car accident and the jeans would be intact.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 5:19 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
If you can find better jeans, tell me! I could be killed in a car accident and the jeans would be intact.
But if the jeans were torn, won`t that just make them cool?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
But if the jeans were torn, won`t that just make them cool?
Torn jeans are SOOOOOOO 2003. But funny story, I had actually bought a pair of jeans and some kitchen tools. So I did make holes in my brand new jeans since they were in the same bag, nobody noticed. haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa