HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 1:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Landmarks committee shot themselves in the foot, first design was way better.
no question about that.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^And have to go back to Landmarks? I love how folks like BVic think if they wish really, really hard . . . the Better Design Fairy will visit during the night.
I don't know why my name was uttered, but we can't all be on the pathway to mediocrity Mr. D, so feel free to steer that ship. I'll continue to be vocal and have my ideas known and on the record.

Last edited by BVictor1; Sep 27, 2016 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 8:52 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 9:14 PM
The City

Is that one giant parking podium? I hope not

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 9:53 PM
BANNED

just fucking start over guys jeeze.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 10:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Crappy rendering. Could be nice if the rendering did a little more justice. I can't pinpoint it because I don't think its the tower, but the rendering quality that makes it look bad. In its form, it has the potential to be quite elegant, but where is the reflection, the color matte. Looks dull. Not the tower, but how the render portrays the design.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 1:17 AM

Top 3/4 is nice, bottom 1/4 ruins everything. Horrible.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:53 AM

JUST IN, It's confirmed this is STILL a crap design.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Is that one giant parking podium? I hope not
The frontage facing Michigan is rental and the parking is behind.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 11:05 AM

Could end up being called The Shoehorn.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 12:47 PM
Ascension

This tower would be decent if the tower portion would go all the way to the street.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 2:39 PM

This one is going down the crapper real quick. how did we go from those amazing cross beams to this.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
This one is going down the crapper real quick. how did we go from those amazing cross beams to this.
I think maybe this proposal is being confused with the one next to the Essex Inn at 800 S Michigan. This proposal never had any cross bracing. It started as 4 stacked distorted "cubes" that became progressively wider and more skewed as the building became taller.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I think maybe this proposal is being confused with the one next to the Essex Inn at 800 S Michigan. This proposal never had any cross bracing. It started as 4 stacked distorted "cubes" that became progressively wider and more skewed as the building became taller.
My bad. had a brain fart, I was talking about Essex

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 10:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

a part of me simply doesn't accept that this is a Jahn design. generally speaking, he's a very talented designer. as others have said, the tower has a certain elegance to it, but why on earth is he trying to marry it to such an incongruent base? and right on michigan ave directly overlooking chicago's front yard, no less!

given the scale of the project and the prominence of the site, this should be a real legacy type project for Jahn and his adopted home city's skyline, and this is what he give us? i'm confused.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 21, 2016 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
a part of me simply doesn't accept that this is a Jahn design. generally speaking, he's a very talented designer. as others have said, the tower has a certain elegance to it, but why on earth is he trying to marry it to such an incongruent base? and right on michigan ave directly overlooking chicago's front yard, no less!

given the scale of the project and the prominence of the site, this should be a real legacy type project for Jahn and his adopted home city's skyline, and this is what he give us? i'm confused.
He tried to give something unique and special but NIMBY's balked at it. The NIMBYs actually like this design.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 2:12 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
He tried to give something unique and special but NIMBY's balked at it. The NIMBYs actually like this design.
I'd assume their preference is not in aesthetic design, but figures and features (parking, lower height, etc...). I can't imagine the form itself is unanimously preferred.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:08 AM

To me, it seems like he's possibly trying to accomplish a continuation of the Michigan avenue wall with the base, then having a unique modern tower rising above it, explaining the slight setback from the base and the tower. Sort of like the legacy, although the legacy is on Wabash. But similar concept. Thats the only reasoning I could think of for the base

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 2:47 PM
Urbane observer

Who are these mysterious NIMBYs you think commented on the design? The building was merely shown at two neighborhood meetings last year, but no comments were asked for. I think B. Vic was the only person to comment on the design, though I asked if they’d be installing real curved glass.

The only discussions I’m aware of were about the height. We thought the landmark district would not allow anything over 425 feet, but were quickly informed that there was a new sheriff in town. If Landmarks had any staff comments or negotiations about having a base that respects the traditional Michigan Avenue cornice line, I don’t remember it being discussed at the Permit Review Committee. Instead, everyone patted themselves on the back that the Michigan Avenue Streetwall District finally had guidelines in place, even if the guidelines essentially were “south of Ninth, anything goes.”

I’ve been puzzled by the clumsiness of this design from the very beginning. Jahn has always been a very strong form-giver, even if the execution sometimes was mediocre. I can’t help but wonder if he’s trying to let others in the firm take the lead on this, as Helmut himself prepares for his retirement.

Cliff Dwellers and Friends of Downtown had a presentation last Friday evening and the architect named was Phil Castillo, a partner at Jahn. I’m traveling, so couldn’t attend. The lecture flyer uses this language, presumably provided by the architecture firm:

The goal of the building’s design is to maximize the lake and park views, and to increase the relatively short Michigan Avenue street frontage of 113’-4” in a subtle and graceful way, as the Tower rises to a height of 832’. A 28’ high cutout between the base and tower condominium uses reinforcing the Michigan Avenue Street Wall. Two sweeping curved facades at the east and west facades define the tower. A sharp edge at the northeast and southwest corners slope outward as the building rises giving the tower a strong presence on the City’s skyline.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:44 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
To me, it seems like he's possibly trying to accomplish a continuation of the Michigan avenue wall with the base, then having a unique modern tower rising above it, explaining the slight setback from the base and the tower. Sort of like the legacy, although the legacy is on Wabash. But similar concept. Thats the only reasoning I could think of for the base
This difference there is that the original facades(and some buildings) were kept for the Legacy, this building looks like it's using shit materials for a look-a-like design of many of these older streetwall buildings. :/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction