HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 12:36 AM

Argentina only has trolleybuses on 3 cities: Rosario, Córdoba and Mendoza. This video shows some of them amongst the three cities

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:26 PM

Dayton has upgraded its trolleybus fleet with "dual-mode" buses that operate on the existing wire but can run on battery power off-wire. The batteries are recharged while the trolleys are running on the wired part of the network. It's a good, modern solution to keep the network up-to-date and makes use of the existing infrastructure without having to string more wire up in suburban areas.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:42 PM
TL;DR

Battery powered buses have known issues especially in cold weather. Unfortunately most of the US' most dense, walkable, transit friendly cities tend to have real winters. Overhead wires are probably a better solution for these cities. The aesthetics of overhead wires are a small price to pay for an almost carbon-free transit system, and the ease with which many cities set up downtown streetcars tells me that the fear of community opposition on overhead wires is probably overblown in most cases.

Likewise, certain Southern coastal cities may have vulnerability to seasonal hurricanes that make it challenging to maintain overhead wires. Living in New Orleans, the streetcars were often out of service for weeks after a storm, even a low-grade tropical storm.

I do agree that any new trolleybuses should be equipped with small gas engines or limited batteries so they can deal with outages and service disruptions or re-routes.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 6:17 PM

I believe Vancouver has the largest trolley fleet in NA and they are real work horses. They serve the city well and are blissfully more quiet than diesel and non-polluting. They also work especially well in hilly cities like Vancouver and SF as opposed to diesel which would crawl up similar inclines. All this and the added benefits of not using copious amounts of expensive diesel fuel.

That said, I think they are on their way out. Not due to any fault with the technology but rather there are now viable options that were not available before. Obviously I am talking about battery and hydrogen buses. Both are electric and hence offer similar non-polluting and quiet performance but don't have the physical limitation of trolleys nor their added costs of wire replacement and maintenance. You also don't get the "bunching" of buses on busy routes as their operations are not constrained by where the wires are.

I like Vancouver's trolleys but I think they will eventually be replaced by more modern and flexible battery and hydrogen buses.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation