HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:22 PM

^ On that note, the forest of smelly Porta potties that occupies much of OMS in the summer is somewhat off putting... I wonder if consideration would ever be given to putting in a permanent washroom building? Even if it were open only for special events to prevent ongoing security/maintenance issues...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:26 PM

I wonder if they moved the festival to Central Park for 1 night what would happen?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ On that note, the forest of smelly Porta potties that occupies much of OMS in the summer is somewhat off putting... I wonder if consideration would ever be given to putting in a permanent washroom building? Even if it were open only for special events to prevent ongoing security/maintenance issues...
Or move them around the corner to Bijou Park by the BIZ's storage containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I wonder if they moved the festival to Central Park for 1 night what would happen?
Central Park would actually be an amazing place for a festival. Kids area by the toboggan slide, stage at the south end of the turf (facing north), spray pad in the background, fully accessible real washrooms (can add potapotties as well), close down Carlton for food trucks and vendors.

It really is just a larger, better version of OMS.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:07 PM

If the jazz fest was to ever move it would more than likely be to The Forks. If the province had any foresight with the refurbishment of Memorial Park they would put in modern infrastructure to host festivals and events, year round.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
If the jazz fest was to ever move it would more than likely be to The Forks. If the province had any foresight with the refurbishment of Memorial Oark they would put in modern infrastructure to host festivals and events, year round.
They have plenty of foresight – look at the bike lanes to nowhere they're installing right now!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:48 PM

They need to expand the licensed area to the entire OMS square and surrounding area vs. small fenced off "beer garden" areas.

Close vehicle traffic on King for the food trucks and Banntyne at back for foot/bike traffic and license the entire thing from William to the north, Bannatyne to the south, King to the West and the Kim parking lot to the east. Go big. It worked well for Interstellar at the Forks a couple years back.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:49 PM

Consider me a fan of that wedge.

Here's hoping that wedge doesn't get worn out by the weather. It looks quite good in renderings so far.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Or move them around the corner to Bijou Park by the BIZ's storage containers.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking... that area feels kind of dead most of the time anyway except when a festival fills the space.

Quote:
Central Park would actually be an amazing place for a festival. Kids area by the toboggan slide, stage at the south end of the turf (facing north), spray pad in the background, fully accessible real washrooms (can add potapotties as well), close down Carlton for food trucks and vendors.

It really is just a larger, better version of OMS.
Agreed, but it's a tough place for a music festival with all the residences overlooking it, though... people would probably not take kindly to music blasting through the park at midnight.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
They need to expand the licensed area to the entire OMS square and surrounding area vs. small fenced off "beer garden" areas.

Close vehicle traffic on King for the food trucks and Banntyne at back for foot/bike traffic and license the entire thing from William to the north, Bannatyne to the south, King to the West and the Kim parking lot to the east. Go big. It worked well for Interstellar at the Forks a couple years back.
Bannatyne is closed for the entire fest. While agree with you licensing the whole site would be great, but it’s prohibitively expensive. The LGCA charges for event licenses based on square footage, that’s why events like Folk Fest still have fenced in taverns – they’d love to have the whole site licensed.

The new licensing at the outdoor Common at The Forks is a huge test for LGCA. If it goes well there could be massive reforms of outdoor licensing, and we could see a lot of festivals and events not required to have beer gardens, as long as the whole site is enclosed in some way. For The Forks, they used “imaginary” but tangible borders of where the plaza ends as the limits of the licensed area.

People have been pushing for a stepped flat rate license for years. Essentially a flat rate license for events under 500 ppl, 500-1000, 1000-5000, 5000+ etc.

Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 12:45 AM

A little tour...

*** All images are mine ***

Hello everyone,

Just moved here from Saint John, New Brunswick for work reasons. I had the option of moving to either Ottawa, Winnipeg or Edmonton, and I chose Winnipeg. "Why Winnipeg" you might ask? Well... several reasons, but mostly, The Exchange. After exploring the two aformentioned cities, I found that neither one of them could deliver what Winnipeg could; those dusty old bones... intact historical grit... whatever you want to call it. Winnipeg is similar to Saint John. Our histories are intertwined in many ways. We both have a beautiful historical core which almost met the wrecking ball in the 60's and 70's... we were too poor to rip everything down, but in time, we came to appreciate the bricks, exposed beams, gargoyles etc. Anyway, there are enough photos here to keep us entertained, so I don't want to go off on a tangent. I hope to meet some of you at some point, so perhaps we can discuss over a beer... or two.

And now, a tour of my new neighborhood.

The Pumphouse is a treasure. This new addition however... Meh, I would have preferred that phase one be a beautiful new plaza... phase 2 could have been kept as is.

Some wildlife for the forum.

Cibo is a nice spot, but why is the patio in the back?

This sure is beautiful piece of land with a lot of potential.

Heard this was just purchased???

Another gem... of course, I would love to see it repurposed, but It's certainly not an eyesore.

Nice view.

This was also just purchased if I'm not mistaken.

I hate the way this place meets the street, but It's decent.

Let the sketch begin. Heading down to Point Douglas. This building has potential. Good bones!

Yep, definitely a bit sketchy, but not nearly as bad as I expected. Relatively clean, and the path was busy.

Fantastic view!

I see nothing but potential.

Interesting building. The views from the upper floors would be incredible. Is this building protected?

Another cluster of potential.

Interesting place.

Ok, I've read a lot about this place. It's visually intriguing, but most of the complaints have been about the finishes, both inside and out. This angle is rather deceiving; I'm assuming the city handled this bit of landscaping?

Looks great.

Across the street...

Ohhhhh, yeah.... I understand now.

Potential.

Even the parking lot under the adjacent condo bulding(s) is horrific!

A wonder who owns this eyesore?

Great spot!

Why....just....Why????? Nonsuch is great though!

***Bonus*** It's officially open.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:35 AM

Nice pics, can you post them in a larger format?

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the big building by the rail line on higgins just had a bunch of capital put into it in upgrades inside. being marketed to artists and has ties to the berlin arts scene so its not sitting idle could see allot of really cool things come outa it over the next few years as for the views yea they are amazing and no its not protected its also known as the watkins building its in good hands

i need to poke around my contacts and see if i can get up on the roof again and update that shot

also welcome to winnipeg

if u like fresh cofee theres parlor on main st and then theres forth cafe on mcdermot witch also has a bar in the basement and a rooftop padio they roast their own beans as well should check it out.

if u need a convience store theres one in sky on the backside fyi

o the building in this pic with the mural on it thats the winnipeg graphiti art gallery
https://postimg.cc/hfh6799K
been around over 20 years now lots goes on there from shows to youth programing.

this building is an active factory of candy and other foods was origonaly a eatons wearhouse if u look close enough u will see the eatons E's on it
https://postimg.cc/D8Wpz7TZ
part of the famous nutty club stuff

this is a matress factory they dont own it owned by someone in toronto last i herd
https://postimg.cc/rD0B7Smf

i think that sold to the developers of the flying saucer jetsons building
https://postimg.cc/njGb0pzZ

thats a parking for the union hall in the building on the right
https://postimg.cc/G9b1987p

haha yea was built and designed by an engineer who owns it he used to post on here was a character to say the least had lots of toys
https://postimg.cc/LYH04f9K

yea that sold hocky rink inside it with a bar upstairs setup sound lights for 12hours of drone as part of new music festival few years back neat acoustics in there actualy
https://postimg.cc/V5ZH1d2p

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 11:02 PM

Anyone know what’s happening with the Electric Railway Chambers? Been exterior work going on for months now but doesn’t look like anything has changed. Would love if they were replacing the lights, but doesn’t look like it so far.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 5:13 PM

Owners of Chew and The Store Next Door opening a new place on 91 Albert - cafe, bakery and market - offering some higher end food items.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Anyone know what’s happening with the Electric Railway Chambers? Been exterior work going on for months now but doesn’t look like anything has changed. Would love if they were replacing the lights, but doesn’t look like it so far.
I miss the days when that building lit up. My favorite building in the city.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Owners of Chew and The Store Next Door opening a new place on 91 Albert - cafe, bakery and market - offering some higher end food items.
Eatery owners expanding into the Exchange District
New venture, Lark, will be a full-service café, bakery and market

The Husband and wife team behind Chew and The Store Next Door, Kyle Lew and Kristen Chemerika-Lew, will soon be opening a new cafe and bakery called Lark at 91 Albert St. (Sasha Sefter / Winnipeg Free Press)
A husband-and-wife duo behind a popular River Heights eatery and market is giving Exchange District residents something to chew on.
Kristen Chemerika-Lew and Kyle Lew, of the popular Chew eatery and adjacent The Store Next Door (530 and 532 Waterloo St.), are putting the finishing touches on Lark, a café, bakery and market slated to open in mid-July at 91 Albert St.
Frequent Exchange-goers and area residents will recognize the address as the former home of Albert Street Cocktail Co. and, before that, Mondragòn Bookstore and Coffeehouse.
"We have always wanted to open in the Exchange District since Kyle and I moved from Toronto seven years ago," Chemerika-Lew explains. "That area was the first place we looked, but it wasn’t the right spot for us at that point. This spring, 91 Albert St. became an option; in a matter of two weeks, we went from looking at the space to having a lease."
Most of the rejigging in the space will be cosmetic in nature in order to accommodate the shift in focus from drinks to a full-service café and bakery (although they’ll also be licensed). "We were pretty lucky, Albert Street Cocktail Co. did most of the major renovations," Chemerika-Lew says. "They put in really good bones for us. It’s mainly about just personalizing the space for us, to meet our needs."
Fans of The Store Next Door will find many familiar food items at Lark, as well as some customized to area residents. "There will be more of a focus on meeting some of the higher-end grocery needs in the Exchange that aren’t there yet," Chemerika-Lew says. "We have so many friends that live in the Exchange — we’ve listened to a lot of resident feedback. It’s never going to be a grocery store that carries milk, but rather the kind of food products people are looking for that we can be helpful with."
While juggling Chew and The Store Next Door, as well as a new venture, has been challenging at times, the couple have had plenty of help from staff. "We are a small business and are independently owned — Kyle and I aren’t not working with a massive budget, we don’t have secret owners. There’s a lot of things that we do ourselves, and we’re also incredibly lucky that we have amazing people who work for us who say ‘yes, we’d like to help paint.’"

SOURCE: Winnipeg Free Press

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 6:59 PM
surely you agree with me

^phenomenal news.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 7:57 PM

But will they close their Waterloo location?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
But will they close their Waterloo location?
It doesn’t say they will, it’s seems in addition to.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 10:05 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzO2ivug3_W/
Jack arches going in at 90 Albert. Looking great!

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan