HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:26 PM
The City

Trump Administration taking on regulatory barriers to new housing

Trump Administration to Take on Local Housing Barriers
President signs order creating White House Council on Eliminating Barriers to Affordable Housing Development

By Laura Kusisto
Updated June 25, 2019 7:01 pm ET

The Trump administration will explore using federal programs to push local governments to soften or eliminate rules that block housing construction, an issue that has stymied officials at all levels of government for years.

President Trump signed an order Tuesday creating the White House Council on Eliminating Barriers to Affordable Housing Development, which will include members of eight federal agencies.

“These are things that can be solved. A lot of [these rules] have been on the books for excessive amounts of time. They’re not particularly relevant anymore,” said Ben Carson, secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, in an interview Tuesday

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...rs-11561483527

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
President signs order creating White House Council on Eliminating Barriers to Affordable Housing Development

By Laura Kusisto

The Trump administration will explore using federal programs to push local governments to soften or eliminate rules that block housing construction, an issue that has stymied officials at all levels of government for years.

President Trump signed an order Tuesday creating the White House Council on Eliminating Barriers to Affordable Housing Development, which will include members of eight federal agencies.

“These are things that can be solved. A lot of [these rules] have been on the books for excessive amounts of time. They’re not particularly relevant anymore,” said Ben Carson, secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, in an interview Tuesday

Sounds nice, but I don't know really what good they are going to do. My impression is that most significant barriers are state/local. There's only so much they can do to "encourage" paring back state/local regulations. Obama tried to encourage it too, to no significant apparent effect. (I don't have access to the full article so apologies if this is already discussed and/or answered in the article.)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Sounds nice, but I don't know really what good they are going to do. My impression is that most significant barriers are state/local. There's only so much they can do to "encourage" paring back state/local regulations. Obama tried to encourage it too, to no significant apparent effect. (I don't have access to the full article so apologies if this is already discussed and/or answered in the article.)
I got the impression that HUD is going to push on places like San Francisco to lower their barriers, I remember HUD releasing a press blitz not long ago about being a YIMBY, yes in my backyard.

The Truth is most of the overpriced housing markets in the USA today are not due to bubble activity like 2006 but local regulations in high demand areas that limit supply arbitrarily.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:51 PM
The City

How about a federal law that bans all zoning classifications less than 4 units per lot?

Also a federal ban on all municipal building codes, and a requirement that all municipalities adopt the international building code?

Also a federal ban on all rent control laws.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

By Laura Kusisto

Really misses the mark. The single biggest factor is NIMBY zoning and approval processes. And it's not that there's "old" "not relevant" regulations in place that stymie housing developing. It's that's there's very current, very intentionally restrictive zoning rules and very loud and influential local residents who will fight to the death to keep them, that stymie much development.

Not sure what the feds can do about that, unless the federal government starts to use the power of the purse to condition federal grants and funding to cities upon loosening up their local restrictions on affordable housing/housing density. That might take an act of congress, which would probably end up in a similar place as their local government counterparts: backing down in the face of fierce opposition from powerful local constituencies.

Finally, from what I've seen NIMBYISM is bi-partisan: rich, Republican enclaves in the suburbs are just as likely to oppose loosened zoning rules to allow denser development and mixed uses in their neighborhoods as are "liberal" residents of highly sought after urban neighborhoods. It really comes down to looking out for No. 1, residents of many of these areas are not willing to accept any adverse impacts, no matter how small, regardless of how much of a housing shortage there is, or how high prices have gotten. In Denver, a recent proposal to build truly beautiful rowhouses in a SFH neighborhood was shot down because it would "change the character of the neighborhood." (O the humanity! ROW houses on my block!!).

As others on here have noted, there's a certain "I've got mine already, fuck you" attitude among many Nimbys.

Last edited by CherryCreek; Jun 26, 2019 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 11:36 PM

Perhaps tying extra funding for municipalities and states to meeting certain requirements that encourage more supply? More funding for mass transit and roads to do "x" "y" and "z"?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Perhaps tying extra funding for municipalities and states to meeting certain requirements that encourage more supply? More funding for mass transit and roads to do "x" "y" and "z"?
Not sure, it seems to me that it is very hard to give money for transit without most of it going to roads/bridges. I guess there must be all sorts of rules federally and locally that prioritize road infrastructure over trains.

So the Feds can provide funding for specific projects and give money for "transportation" but its hard to give general funds and demand that they be used on mass transit.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I got the impression that HUD is going to push on places like San Francisco to lower their barriers, I remember HUD releasing a press blitz not long ago about being a YIMBY, yes in my backyard.

The Truth is most of the overpriced housing markets in the USA today are not due to bubble activity like 2006 but local regulations in high demand areas that limit supply arbitrarily.
If so, it's not going to work.

In San Francisco, not only is the Mayor herself a strong advocate of lowering housing barriers but there is a strong YIMBY--indeed, "yes in my backyard"-- movement called the San Francisco Housing Action Coalition and even these potent local people and organizations have trouble overcoming neighborhood activist groups and their lap dogs on the Board of Supervisors (whose members are elected by districts that are really just small groupings of neighborhoods).

In other words, this issue is one of citywide forces who agree more housing is needed and fewer barriers to getting it vs neighborhood parochial forces looking out for their own very narrow interests. And intervention from the national level is unlikely to accomplish much that even the Mayor can't do.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
. And intervention from the national level is unlikely to accomplish much that even the Mayor can't do.
This right here, the US federal government isnt even capable of acting much pressure in these situations by design.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions