HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 3:52 AM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

From looking at this picture, I can envision the Westin right behind it. If the project turns out looking like this, it should help blend in with everything else around it.
The Westin as well as the Magellan project should create a nice E 5th St experience. The lack of verticality in this project is disappointing.... but the street level experience along Congress Avenue and East 5th Street will be drastically improved. I actually prefer this to...for example.... the seven story Finger apartments with no ground level retail being built in downtown Houston. Tall buildings are nice from a distance but expensive detailed street level development is what makes a city great.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
The Westin as well as the Magellan project should create a nice E 5th St experience. The lack of verticality in this project is disappointing.... but the street level experience along Congress Avenue and East 5th Street will be drastically improved. I actually prefer this to...for example.... the seven story Finger apartments with no ground level retail being built in downtown Houston. Tall buildings are nice from a distance but expensive detailed street level development is what makes a city great.
Yeah I heard about them breaking ground, I'm excited that it will add residence but a little disappointed that they is no street level retail.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah I heard about them breaking ground, I'm excited that it will add residence but a little disappointed that they is no street level retail.
There's street level retail for that project. As for 501 Congress, it's really nice. I hope I'll have time to snap some pics of the renovation progress, and other projects when I'm in town next month.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
There's street level retail for that project. As for 501 Congress, it's really nice. I hope I'll have time to snap some pics of the renovation progress, and other projects when I'm in town next month.
Awesome! I hope it's a cafe, or a clothing store.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 5:53 AM

We need an affordable clothing store downtown.. maybe an H&M.

When I lived in England, every high street had several clothing stores ranging from affordable to high-end.

We've got boutiques and Urban Outfitters downtown, now we need some stuff you'd find in a mall. Diversity is key.. shopping in downtown Austin right now is pretty much all high-end boutiques

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomuse View Post
We need an affordable clothing store downtown.. maybe an H&M.

When I lived in England, every high street had several clothing stores ranging from affordable to high-end.

We've got boutiques and Urban Outfitters downtown, now we need some stuff you'd find in a mall. Diversity is key.. shopping in downtown Austin right now is pretty much all high-end boutiques
H&M would be nice to have in downtown.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 8:49 AM

So, is 501 Congress even u/c??

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
So, is 501 Congress even u/c??
From walking by the site a little over a week ago, I say it's well underway.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
From walking by the site a little over a week ago, I say it's well underway.
Interesting. The outside hasn't been touched at all...but by the looks of it that part shouldn't take too long to change. I really do hope they choose an awesome anchor tenant. :Cough:Apple:Cough:
For a city that is manufacturing Mac products, it's kind of embarrassing that we don't have a Apple store downtown...just box malls.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Interesting. The outside hasn't been touched at all...but by the looks of it that part shouldn't take too long to change. I really do hope they choose an awesome anchor tenant. :Cough:Apple:Cough:
For a city that is manufacturing Mac products, it's kind of embarrassing that we don't have a Apple store downtown...just box malls.
Ahealy I was thinking about visioning an Apple store for downtown as well. I know we have the Apple tech service off 2nd St. but still we should try to lure Apple to lease a spot off Congress.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Ahealy I was thinking about visioning an Apple store for downtown as well. I know we have the Apple tech service off 2nd St. but still we should try to lure Apple to lease a spot off Congress.
That place on 2nd St. isn't part of an Apple. It's just a place authorized by Apple to do some repairs to Apple products. I know someone who took their iPhone there to replace the screen, but they aren't authorized by Apple to do that.

We'll get more stores downtown as more and more residential towers get built. 2nd St. alone has become much more viable just since the W was completed. We're lucky to have the street life that we currently have when compared to other cities of a similar size, and it's only going to get better as thousands of more people move into the towers under construction and planned.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
That place on 2nd St. isn't part of an Apple. It's just a place authorized by Apple to do some repairs to Apple products. I know someone who took their iPhone there to replace the screen, but they aren't authorized by Apple to do that.

We'll get more stores downtown as more and more residential towers get built. 2nd St. alone has become much more viable just since the W was completed. We're lucky to have the street life that we currently have when compared to other cities of a similar size, and it's only going to get better as thousands of more people move into the towers under construction and planned.
Yep, it has be an amazing journey though out the years and it keeps getting better. Before we know it the GWTP and Seaholm will be complete, which again will drastically change the skyline and the city street level.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
FYI, it was dark, but I think I saw an excavator tearing down the old Aquarelle restaurant last night. Perhaps Cirrus Logic is getting started with their new building on 7th street across from 7Rio.
Sorry guys, The City of Austin permit site show a parking lot going in

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11060534

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 2:26 PM

I choose to call it a demolition for a yet announced future project.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 7:37 PM

Soil samples being done at green site today

Could this be for the 2nd st. bridge?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 8:19 PM

Yes. There has been some recent permit request activity regarding the 2nd St extension.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 12:49 AM
Meh

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Kev, when do you think we'll see 1a/1b finished? I would imagine it wouldn't take very long to pave out the roads. East 5th got done in the blink of an eye.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 5:24 AM
Meh

Quote:
Kev, when do you think we'll see 1a/1b finished? I would imagine it wouldn't take very long to pave out the roads. East 5th got done in the blink of an eye.
I don't know. It really shouldn't take too long. They don't really have any demotion to do and only some minor grading for the streets. I would think upgrading/rearranging the utilities through the property would take longer than building the streets.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 1:43 PM
Old West Austin

Happy new year!

It's been 5 long days since the last post. Someone had to be first...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations