HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

International Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 4:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] Barrington Espace | ? m | 5 fl | Completed

This is a redevelopment of 3 historic buildings at 1652, 1656, and 1662 Barrington Street (former Sam the Record Man).

Details are here: http://www.starfishproperties.ca/bar...ngton_pres.pdf

The developer mentioned in Allnovascotia that he wants to have tenants in the redeveloped buildings by the end of the summer this year - sounds like work is to begin shortly.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 1:40 PM
Honored Member

Hopefully there will be many more similar redevelopment projects taking place in the near future. I am looking forward to seeing the NFB building plans - hopefully renderings will be out soon. There are many under-utilized buildings in the downtown core that could be used for office and residential redevelopment.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 2:48 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is a redevelopment of 3 historic buildings at 1652, 1656, and 1662 Barrington Street (former Sam the Record Man).

Details are here: http://www.starfishproperties.ca/bar...ngton_pres.pdf

The developer mentioned in Allnovascotia that he wants to have tenants in the redeveloped buildings by the end of the summer this year - sounds like work is to begin shortly.
So this one is approved already? Or is it still going through the HRMbD process? I would certainly be pleased if it had made it through the process this quickly, especially given that this is one of the 1st "test cases" to try the new process, but I would be surprised if it was done already.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
So this one is approved already? Or is it still going through the HRMbD process? I would certainly be pleased if it had made it through the process this quickly, especially given that this is one of the 1st "test cases" to try the new process, but I would be surprised if it was done already.
I was told that it was approved earlier this week. There is still a period where it can be contested, but I'd be surprised if that happened with this particular development. As well as the regular HRMbyDesign process, this proposal also went through the Heritage Advisory Committee. The Committee was supposed to advise council on Substantial Alterations to the registered heritage properties included in the redevelopment, and they produced a positive finding weeks ago.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 5:33 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I was told that it was approved earlier this week. There is still a period where it can be contested, but I'd be surprised if that happened with this particular development. As well as the regular HRMbyDesign process, this proposal also went through the Heritage Advisory Committee. The Committee was supposed to advise council on Substantial Alterations to the registered heritage properties included in the redevelopment, and they produced a positive finding weeks ago.
Wow! Awesome... HRMbD may have its flaws, but if nothing else it does seem then that the process is faster and more straightforward. In the "old days" this would have gone no where yet.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 7:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yes, so far it seems like the HbD process is much faster. There are also some new incentives to promote development along Barrington, along with some more controls governing how new buildings can be done.

For a small project like this, getting some government money and getting approved in a few months instead of a few years probably makes a huge difference. I hope we do see a bunch of other similar developments - there's the Keith Building, Roy Building, Masonic Hall, Tip Top Tailors building which may be sold, Discovery Centre...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 7:30 PM

Looks like the final say on this is tonight;

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0413ca1131.pdf

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Looks like the final say on this is tonight;

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0413ca1131.pdf
I have to admit that i am not very impressed at how long even this took to reach this point.

I was hoping HRM by design would be faster.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 8:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder who or what was responsible for this delay.

Have a look at this: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/Agendas.html

Two Heritage Advisory meetings since Feb 11, three cancelled, two due to lack of quorum.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I wonder who or what was responsible for this delay.

Have a look at this: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/Agendas.html

Two Heritage Advisory meetings since Feb 11, three cancelled, two due to lack of quorum.
Sad

I mean when will people learn that timing is a big part of developments. The longer it takes to get approved the greater the chances the market can change. Then of course there is extra carrying costs (not always).

So far the HRM is slow with the barrington street developments. Lets hope things are faster for developments else wheres

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 11:39 PM

Passed very quickly tonight.

The HAC should be dissolved if they cannot get quorum at meetings.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Passed very quickly tonight.

The HAC should be dissolved if they cannot get quorum at meetings.
I never understood the point of the HAC if part of HbD was to come up with a Planning Committee. In Calgary we have the Planning Commission (all re-zonings and special development permits like new office buildings in DT and any multi res buildings over 50 units go to them for approval). Then we have the Land Use, Planning and Transportation Committee which does things like heritage and broad based policy stuff (since the public hearing occurs at the committee instead of council).

Why not alter the purpose of this planning committee to include heritage matters if in downtown?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I never understood the point of the HAC if part of HbD was to come up with a Planning Committee. In Calgary we have the Planning Commission (all re-zonings and special development permits like new office buildings in DT and any multi res buildings over 50 units go to them for approval). Then we have the Land Use, Planning and Transportation Committee which does things like heritage and broad based policy stuff (since the public hearing occurs at the committee instead of council).

Why not alter the purpose of this planning committee to include heritage matters if in downtown?
Well the dates missed seem to be consistent with the district 12 board as well.

I mean looking at the below page the members haven't even updated the minutes for 2010 yet, let alone for a few months in 2009.

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/Dist12PAC/Agendas.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 1:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The committees are pretty obviously messed up. I don't know why HRM council was voting on this either - we don't need 23+ people to rubber stamp a simple development.

The HAC could have a role making high-level planning recommendations but it's excessive to have them weigh in on every project.

That being said, I am pretty optimistic about Barrington at this point. The Sam the Record Man space has been empty for years. I'll be really happy if and when the NFB building gets fixed up. The one big thing that is worrisome is the Roy Building plan - hopefully we won't see a 5 year delay and then a pile of rubble...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 1:58 AM

Quote:
The committees are pretty obviously messed up. I don't know why HRM council was voting on this either - we don't need 23+ people to rubber stamp a simple development.

The HAC could have a role making high-level planning recommendations but it's excessive to have them weigh in on every project.

That being said, I am pretty optimistic about Barrington at this point. The Sam the Record Man space has been empty for years. I'll be really happy if and when the NFB building gets fixed up. The one big thing that is worrisome is the Roy Building plan - hopefully we won't see a 5 year delay and then a pile of rubble...
Couldn't agree more. The committees need to recognize they have a role, if not then disolve them.

I wish we could see projects like this (see link) with the NFB, albeit there isn't a lane way or front yard to use. The material choice and design elements i believe would make for a very exciting project.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140671

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks nice, although it seems very similar to the NFB proposal, aside from the fact that it's for a different type of site. The NFB proposal seems nice and will also include a new housing on Argyle (too bad the Neptune didn't have the same kind of mixed-use design when it was built.. I've always thought it would be nicer with a few floors of residential on top).

We might also see some changes for CD Plus and the Carsand-Mosher building. I don't think it would take a lot to make the street look vastly better than it does now.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

HAC isn't really part of HbD, but still is expected to provide recommendations to Council on significant alterations to Registered Heritage buildings. Seems a little convoluted for a process that is supposed to be streamlined.

I checked the minutes, and this was recommended by the HAC back on February 11th. Seems odd they had so many meetings scheduled for March... my understanding is that these types of committees usually are composed of volunteers, and are expected to meet once a month.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 6:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Allnovascotia is reporting that this project should get started next month and will take until the end of the fall to complete.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 11:44 PM

How long did the process take start to finish, once it was formally presented to HRM for approval? It wasn't overly speedy no, but it's got to be a HUGE improvement over the previous approval times, and this is the first project to go through HRMbyDesign, so let's hope this is a first run hiccup.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 12:19 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Apparently the goal is a 60 day approval process, which seems pretty reasonable. Not sure how long it actually took, but it is an improvement over the old system and I could see it getting a bit better in the future as people figure things out.

One thing I wonder, however, is how this would have turned out in a "worst case" proposal. This development is small and innocuous. What would have happened if there had been a development proposed for one of the bigger HbD-sanctioned sites? That is where things really fell apart with the old system.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth