HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 12:10 AM

I'm assuming he only makes these comments to get a reaction. Most have learned to just ignore him.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
For such a historic structure, you'd think they could find a better use for it then turning it into slum housing.
Just agreeing with the thoughts of others here.

If you are denying there are crack houses in that neighborhood you are sadly mistaken.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Just agreeing with the thoughts of others here.

If you are denying there are crack houses in that neighborhood you are sadly mistaken.
I hope some TLC is put into it and this does not become the case. This building has alot of historical importance and I would like to see it fixed up.

What seems to be your problem with maintaining a structure with any historical importance?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:16 AM

Most citizens were unaware this house was of any significance. When they passed by it for decades it was simply slum housing. The development of the excellent Vic project was almost derailed because of the heritage types claiming this thing needed to be saved. Nobody wanted to do it. I do not know the specifics but I think it is likely that signficant public dollars went into the effort and the result of it being moved to become "affordable housing" is almost certainly coming out of the public purse. What we will end up with is a very expensive and compromised structure in a very sketchy neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Most citizens were unaware this house was of any significance. When they passed by it for decades it was simply slum housing. The development of the excellent Vic project was almost derailed because of the heritage types claiming this thing needed to be saved. Nobody wanted to do it. I do not know the specifics but I think it is likely that signficant public dollars went into the effort and the result of it being moved to become "affordable housing" is almost certainly coming out of the public purse. What we will end up with is a very expensive and compromised structure in a very sketchy neighborhood.
Oh, c'mon Keith. Don't conflate all heritage-preservation advocates with the HT/STV folks. Re-using the Morris House is a good endeavour, and the kind of thing that a lot of cities do now and then to accomodate new construction.

The public purse exists to provide public good. As a Haligonian, I'm very pleased with this project. So there you go.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Such a waste of money, presumably from the public purse. At least this slummy building is being moved to a slummy area. Perhaps it has a future as a crack house.
I understood that the Heritage Trust paid for the move, NS Power donated line moving, they're hoping that Eastlink and Bell Aliant will donate the work they did during the move, and a contractor is donating a new foundation.

At least the Heritage Trust is beginning to put its money where its mouth is and actually DO something about the buildings they care about. It's a much better situation than the HT just stamping its feet and crying and expecting everyone else to fall in line.

Hopefully, in the future, it won't be such a novel thing to reuse buildings, and the HT will not rely on donations.

I think this is a positive step, and would like to think that perhaps the HT will learn how to contribute rather than just block

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Oh, c'mon Keith. Don't conflate all heritage-preservation advocates with the HT/STV folks. Re-using the Morris House is a good endeavour, and the kind of thing that a lot of cities do now and then to accomodate new construction.

The public purse exists to provide public good. As a Haligonian, I'm very pleased with this project. So there you go.
I have to agree with that. While admittedly I didn't know the history of the Morris House before this situation arose, I am happy it was saved and that Haligonians were able to learn some of their city's history through the media coverage surrounding this.

Good move by all, IMHO.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I have to agree with that. While admittedly I didn't know the history of the Morris House before this situation arose, I am happy it was saved and that Haligonians were able to learn some of their city's history through the media coverage surrounding this.

Good move by all, IMHO.
You're both wrong. The end result, while making the Paceys and their HT cronies happy, costs the taxpayer MORE for a LESS functional structure. That is hardly in the public interest.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:16 PM

Quote:
You're both wrong. The end result, while making the Paceys and their HT cronies happy, costs the taxpayer MORE for a LESS functional structure. That is hardly in the public interest.
I fully expect that this will, like the majority of non profit ventures, be fully functional. Sure there will be public and volunteer resources supporting it; that's what happens in a caring society

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:40 PM

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Given the age and historical significance of this building I think it's reasonable to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to preserve it. There aren't a lot of 1764 houses in Halifax, and this one was owned by somebody who had a big impact on the early development of the city.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Given the age and historical significance of this building I think it's reasonable to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to preserve it. There aren't a lot of 1764 houses in Halifax, and this one was owned by somebody who had a big impact on the early development of the city.
Indeed. According to this, there are only three buildings in the whole city older. (And for the "wood isn't built to last" crowd, two of them are wood-framed, and still standing under their original load-bearing structures.)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:16 PM
hi

According to this article: HRM contributed $25,000 and the federal government contributed $325,000. The cost of the move and renovation is $400,000 and they will also be adding a $600,000 addition.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ouse-cost.html

I'm not sure where the extra money is coming from and I'm also not sure about the addition - depending on how it's done, it could somewhat defeat the purpose of restoring this historic house.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
According to this article: HRM contributed $25,000 and the federal government contributed $325,000. The cost of the move and renovation is $400,000 and they will also be adding a $600,000 addition.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ouse-cost.html

I'm not sure where the extra money is coming from and I'm also not sure about the addition - depending on how it's done, it could somewhat defeat the purpose of restoring this historic house.
it's not unusual for non profits to take out mortgages on their facilities, and many have been paid off during the years. Most of these properties are very well maintained, with pride of ownership, and often look better than neighbouring properties. Perhaps a little optimism could be tried. They did manage to move that old house halfway across Halifax.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 8:37 PM
hi

I didn't mean to sound pessimistic; I was just quoting the numbers from the article and it didn't say how the remainder of the project was to be financed. As for the addition, I am picturing something built off the back of the house obviously, but even then, doubling its size could potentially diminish its historical value imho. In any case, like others, I'm just happy that HT is doing something productive.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Perhaps a little optimism could be tried. They did manage to move that old house halfway across Halifax.
It's easy to manage to do lots of things when you have your hand in the taxpayer's pockets. Easy to be optimistic unless you get stuck with the bill.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:55 PM

Quote:
It's easy to manage to do lots of things when you have your hand in the taxpayer's pockets. Easy to be optimistic unless you get stuck with the bill.
as a taxpayer, I've been contributing to paying those bills for some time, and I'm good with that. I'm not always happy about all the money that goes to Michelin, but it's all a balance thing

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:31 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The TV program on HGTV "massive moves" will air a show on the move of the Charles Morris house. Airs March 24th at 11pm atlantic time

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I understood that the Heritage Trust paid for the move, NS Power donated line moving, they're hoping that Eastlink and Bell Aliant will donate the work they did during the move, and a contractor is donating a new foundation.

At least the Heritage Trust is beginning to put its money where its mouth is and actually DO something about the buildings they care about. It's a much better situation than the HT just stamping its feet and crying and expecting everyone else to fall in line.

Hopefully, in the future, it won't be such a novel thing to reuse buildings, and the HT will not rely on donations.

I think this is a positive step, and would like to think that perhaps the HT will learn how to contribute rather than just block
And now the truth has come out - the group involved in this boondoggle was unprepared to do anything concrete and had their hands out to the provincial and federal govts for a substantial dole of public funds. Now since they are apparently unable to complete an application form or write a proposal that showed how this thing could be funded long-term, it sits on its new site ready to be vandalized. No surprise that the taxpayer is on the hook for this mess. Ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 3:57 PM
we built this city

Quote:
And now the truth has come out - the group involved in this boondoggle was unprepared to do anything concrete and had their hands out to the provincial and federal govts for a substantial dole of public funds. Now since they are apparently unable to complete an application form or write a proposal that showed how this thing could be funded long-term, it sits on its new site ready to be vandalized. No surprise that the taxpayer is on the hook for this mess. Ridiculous.
Biggest irony... these heritage types are the first to say that NS Power is a monopoly and a bunch of overpaid executives that are overcharging for power, stealing from the public, etc.

Guess it just goes to show that they will take money to meet their own wants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth