HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Again!?

It was covered in the past?
Yup, the shed was demolished in the 80's because it was starting to look shabby...which is unfortunate.
Pretty basic, but nice. I like train sheds, I know they were talking about doing something to the shed at Union Station in Toronto, but I hope it stays the way it is, it has a certain.. dank charm

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 5:32 PM

Yesterday

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 7:58 PM

A city market, it’s not

By ROGER TAYLOR Business Columnist
Fri. Jun 19 - 4:46 AM

IT SEEMS fitting that in the same week the new development plan for downtown Halifax was passed by city council, it was announced that work will finally begin on the proposed $12-million Seaport Farmers Market.

That’s because the environmentally friendly design of the new market building seems to be exactly the type of structure that fits in with the aspirations expressed in the HRM by Design plan — a more residentially oriented and pedestrian-friendly downtown.

The refurbished 40,000-square-foot building, currently known as Pier 20, will employ Leadership in Engineering and Environment Design techniques, which make the structure expensive to build, but cheap to operate. The design will allow for passive ventilation, harbour cooling, wind power, rainwater conservation, rooftop agriculture, solar collection and geothermal storage.

Cynics are already expecting that the new building won’t allow for the same old atmosphere of the current market in the Keith’s Brewery building on Lower Water Street.

but I’m sure the seaport market will soon develop its own ambiance that will be quickly embraced by the hundreds of people who regularly flock to the market.

Overlooking Georges Island, the new location is undeniably picturesque, but there’s just one thing — it really isn’t part of the downtown.

Someday, there may be a lot of people living within walking distance of Pier 20, but in 2009 Halifax only a few people have the luxury of leisurely walking over to the Halifax farmers market to pick up a few locally grown vegetables.

The rest of us have to take a car, or maybe a bus.

The new structure is a great addition to Halifax, but it really won’t have the same impact as it would if it was located in a more central location.

Someone once told me they thought the site of the former Infirmary Hospital on Queen Street would have been a better location for the market because of a greater potential for the spinoff of economic benefits, especially for enterprises in the Spring Garden Road business district.

I brought up that idea in conversation recently and my friends argued that parking is a major factor.

Parking is already a problem associated with the current farmers market, they argue, and it would be the same or worse if the market had been moved to Queen Street.

If parking is the primary reason for locating the market on the waterfront — near the Cunard Centre, Garrison Brewing Co., NSCAD University and Pier 21 museum — it seems to run converse to the spirit of building such an advanced structure.

Since it is to become a showpiece for Halifax’s more environmentally friendly future, certainly government should have a say in the location.

The bulk of the funding for the new farmers market is coming from public sources, otherwise I would say it really isn’t anyone’s business where a company or co-operative chooses to locate.

The spot on the waterfront doesn’t seem to jibe with HRM by Design.

Sure, the bus schedule could be adjusted to make a regular trip down to Pier 20 and 21, but that doesn’t make up for having a farmers market within easy walking distance of a vibrant residential district.

As for difficulty finding a parking spot, it seems like a good way to encourage more people to walk and use transit, which is also part of the HRM by Design plan.

( rtaylor@herald.ca)

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 9:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The new site is only a 5-10 minute walk from the current market, and I think the parking issue was as much about vendors and loading as it was about customers. The vendors come from rural areas and need to use trucks.

There's lots of potential for other development down there. I don't think it's true at all that there won't be spin-off effects.

I guess they would put in a bus route. One could also imagine, say, another ferry stop, or a little streetcar running along Lower Water St from the ferry terminal (imagine if they had planned for something like that early on and built archways into Bishop's Landing like what will be in the new waterfront development).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 9:39 PM

Well, there is the route 35 which terminates at the Via station, I suppose it could continue along Hollis/Marginal Road. Of course it's only a rush hour route though. FRED services Pier 21 already, and there's this downtown shuttle that's supposed to come online some day, that could also service Pier 21.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 9:42 PM

great time to start winging about something roger....once they have finally started building....

this guy tries to put a pessimistic spin on almost everything ,in a poor attempt to sound as if he is in the know....like some savvy insider....

I guess it might work on some Joe the plumber type figure or Eva Hoare

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
I guess it might work on some Joe the plumber type figure or Eva Hoare
Are you suggesting Eva might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer?

Taylor's column was just embarrassing. Talk about trying to find anything negative... it reads the way CBC News at 6 sounds.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 2:11 AM

The new location will probably be nearer to more people on foot than the current one! The blocks around Tobin Street are low-rise, but it is one of the densest neighbourhoods in the city. They'll be quite close to the new site, especially with the shortcut through the Westin. Compare that to the Brewery.... How many residents live to the North of it in amongst the bank towers? Is two blocks going to really make that big of a difference? What a stupid column.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
this guy tries to put a pessimistic spin on almost everything ,in a poor attempt to sound as if he is in the know....like some savvy insider....
I wouldn't say he tries to put a 'pessimistic spin on almost everything', certainly no more so than we do here. He's generally pro-development and most of what could be called pessimism is explaining what sort of negative impact the backwards development process in Halifax can have. That's something I've seen plenty of from posters here (myself included).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
What a stupid column.
I agree completely! What an ass...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 5:00 PM

All photos taken by me yesterday;

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post

that sign is a flash back....what no women work in the construction industry?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 4:27 PM

If anybody wants to keep an eye on this project there is a Halifaxwebcam.ca webcam facing the seaport with a great view of this project here;

http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/ind...8&SET_CAM=cam8

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 5:46 PM

hey Bedford DJ can you do anything about the fog

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
hey Bedford DJ can you do anything about the fog
Sorry I'm not that persuasive

When I posted that like an hour ago it was perfectly clear. Only in Halifax, eh?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:06 PM

Some from Sunday night;

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 3:13 AM

I was down there last week looking at that rendering and when you comepare it to what is there it doesn't make sense. The light posts shown in the renderings do not line up at all with whats there. And what is with that metal frame on the far left?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 9:44 PM

Update from yesterday by me;

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:37 AM

Aug 20/09

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:57 PM

there is now a giant gap in between the brick building at the very north of the seawall.....for about 40 foot....
(rough guesstimate, based on memory).....
to the next section of the sheds....
nothin lert but the dirt on the ground
I talked to some dude on the site, and he said no more of the shed's are coming down......
for the first time in probably eons....you can stand in the area where the parking lot is and view Georges Island...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth