HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 7:32 PM
Closed account

[Halifax] Spice l 20 m l 6 fl l Completed

Condo development under construction on the corner of Barrington and Cornwallis.

http://www.polycorp.ca/spice/

Construction photos (Oct 28)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 7:38 PM

I like the form of the development a lot. It adds some nice density to the area. Still not sure how good its gonna look when finished, but we can always hope. It reminds of much going up in places like the netherlands.

Those windows must have just been put in in the last few days. I looking forward to seeing how the cladding will work on this building.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 7:40 PM

Not particularly fond of the colours...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 8:01 PM
we built this city

Yeah, I actually live in Amsterdam right now and I have seen some projects similar to these. I think its another example of how european Halifax is. At least its unique.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 8:06 PM
Closed account

Despite the possible colour choices, it is my favorite of the condo developments in HRM. Of course, It could be twice as tall...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 8:14 PM

It seems that it is being built by five guys named Moe. I have never seen a development proceed so slowly. If they ever get it finished it looks like it won't be bad though the colors look odd and the location is unfortunate (on the busiest street in the city across from a sewage treatment plant). I just have doubts it will be completed in my lifetime at the rate they are going.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 8:18 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
Despite the possible colour choices, it is my favorite of the condo developments in HRM. Of course, It could be twice as tall...
They are a unique design. I wish they where either a bit taller Or they had more of them continuing down Barrington to give them more presence in the area. This area of Barrington really poorly done and messy, which is a shame because it could be a very vibrant part of town. What is that really low building on the habourside of Barrington? It is so bad a condo could not be built over top. Once the Cogswell is gone and some new offices are built (20-35 floors would be ideal) then the view from North Barrington southward would be impressive to say the least.

"I am so excited about Canadians ruling the world." - Prime Minister John Diefenbaker.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 10:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not a huge fan of the design but it could turn out to be fine. It's hard to tell from the renderings.

I seem to remember some talk of putting things on top of the sewage treatment plants when it was first proposed. No idea if they actually built the base of it so that it could support a taller building on top. I also remembered some kind of $1M "community fund" for integrating the building into the area (one suggestion was tennis courts or something, which shows you how visionary HRM council is.. maybe we could even put a bench and, if the city is really ambitious, a garbage can on the corner).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 2:04 AM

I like the overall design of Spice, but did they need to leave a blank wall along the entire bottom floor? I know this area isn't a pedestrian paradise but twenty years from now this could be one of the few blank walls along an otherwise nice streetscape.

I think the height's fine. Lots of new units in that area with the Brickyard. Mid-rise density is fine by me.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 1:58 AM

Here's a pic I took on the ferry the other day. It shows a view of Spice from the harbour.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 3:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I have never seen a development proceed so slowly.
Is anything happening there? It looks almost exactly the same as it did months ago.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 7:04 PM

There has been some activity. They've been working on the roof, they've finished installing all the windows and have almost finished adding that insulation paper to the building. Hopefully the actual cladding will come soon.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 6:56 PM

This has to be the slowest project I've ever seen.
I noticed a few signs for an open house last weekend (5th-6th) though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 4:08 AM

I dont mind the colors of this building some may see as tacky I see it as the maratimes.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:25 PM

I just noticed something. In the renderings it appears as though there are blaconies all over the place. But when I look at the windows they've installed, non of them have doors in them? So how would anyone get out onto their balconies once they're built?!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I just noticed something. In the renderings it appears as though there are blaconies all over the place. But when I look at the windows they've installed, non of them have doors in them? So how would anyone get out onto their balconies once they're built?!
Oooops...

I have no idea of how to reconcile that.

Here's a tribute to the guys developing this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtJZLxNI6E0

Last edited by Keith P.; Mar 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:38 PM

^^^ What?!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:18 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Looks as if the balconies are located in the coves...doors aren't in place there yet...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:39 PM

I happened to drive by there today and there are indeed patio doors in place in the "coves". No balcony platforms yet though. Probably will be installed sometime in the next 48-60 months...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I happened to drive by there today and there are indeed patio doors in place in the "coves". No balcony platforms yet though. Probably will be installed sometime in the next 48-60 months...
48-60 months..

LMAO!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth