HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 8:50 PM
we built this city

This project sure would add alot to this little cluster of buildings.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 9:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

In that shot I think it would actually be covered by Park Lane. You'd see a little bit of the top maybe.

That photo does show how far the area has come in the past 3-4 years though. If this tower goes up along with some developments on the Clyde Street lots it will be more of a "district". Dresden Row and South Park will have a lot more retail, along with possibly Queen Street if the Infirmary lands are redeveloped.

Something else that would be interesting is a development in front of that square ~20 storey apartment building on SGR that's at an angle to the street. There's just parking in front, so presumably that could be replaced with a lowrise type structure with ground floor retail.

Something similar could be built on the grounds of the old condo building at SGR/Summer but I doubt that residents would want to give them up.

Sacred Heart is nice but it would be nice if the retail part of SGR could be continued right up to Robie. Right now it's cut in two.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:38 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a little rendering of how I think it will look based on the plans in the HRM report (original aerial photo from http://www.pbase.com/mucker):

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 6:24 PM
we built this city

nice job.

it would certainly be a great addition.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 6:02 PM
Closed account

An image of what the proposed tower is to look like from South Park Street.

(image from HRM Council's report)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:29 AM
Honored Member

I like the design and it will help expand the Spring Garden retail area. A rendering would be useful to figure out what kind of materials may be used.

"I am so excited about Canadians ruling the world." - Prime Minister John Diefenbaker.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 12:45 PM
we built this city

I'm confused, I thought there was supposed to be news on the amendment to the MPS that would effectively approve/reject this proposal.

I don't know what's up with the roof of this building, is that a flag being held by wires or part of the roof itself. I hope its just a flat roof. Weird.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It would simply require a development agreement, not general amendments to the MPS as some like to imply. The MPS includes provisions for buildings like this, and similar development agreements have been granted in this area in the past.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 3:15 AM

That rendering is South Park St. elevation? Does anyone know what is proposed for the ground level here? It looks like a bunch of individual condo entrances; I'd prefer to see retail/dining along here.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 5:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Those are storefronts, not condo entrances.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 5:55 AM

south park is a pretty good series... didn't know it was in the maratimes though.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 10:02 AM
we built this city

Lol, great show, manbearpig.

South Park is like our upscale retail, its like a Park Ave/5th Ave, Bloor St. for Halifax.

I wonder if we will be getting any Gucci, Prada, LV, etc stores once great retail like UG and this South Park and Brenton go through. I certainly think that we would be the first city in the maritimes, and I think it would definitely attract shopping dollars from around the region. I'm unsure of whether the wealth and population can sustain it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 1:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There's a meeting coming up for this project:

Dec. 5, 2007 District 12 Planning Advisory Committee

Windsor Room 2, Prince George Hotel

1725 Market Street, Halifax - 7:00 p.m.

Public Meeting

Case 01046 - Application from WM Fares to amend the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and the Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law to permit a 19 storey residential building, with first and second storey commercial uses, on the north-east corner of South Park Street and Brenton Place in Halifax (1441-1467 South Park Street and 5679-5683 Brenton Place), by development agreement.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 6:37 PM
we built this city

Whats going on with this!!!!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:09 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Whats going on with this!!!!
Well that meeting that Someone123 is speaking about is tonight, so I assume we'll know a little more after that.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 2:28 AM

I just got back from the meeting and it was very lively and interesting. The design has been greatly refined and is now something that looks really good. They've added a plaza on the corner with a curved glass element that runs up the entire height of the building and becomes the crown of the building.
The reviews were very mixed, there were a good deal of people in the schmidtville neighbourhood that thought it was too tall and didn't like it. There were people from other neighbourhoods who thought it was a great development with great attention to detail. But the best was the few who lived within a block of the proposal and got up and said they were all for it. They would be proud to have this building in their backyard.
I wish I had some pics to show the new design, but it is really nice! A building that is designed for the site, and they made provisions for future developments in the area as well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
The reviews were very mixed, there were a good deal of people in the schmidtville neighbourhood that thought it was too tall and didn't like it.
There are a relatively few activist people who advocate for "Schmidtville" (I lived right there for 7 years and had never heard that term until a few years ago) who oppose anything new whatsoever in that area. It seems they are as bad or worse than the Heritage Trust in wanting a historical theme park.

It is hard to see how this development is a problem for them. It is taking up parking lot space and a couple of rooming houses. I suppose they would argue the rooming houses could be restored, and that similar-looking structures could be built on the empty lots. But I cannot imagine that would be viable economically. With Park Vic across one street and the Charterhouse across the other I cannot see how this is somehow troublesome.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 4:59 PM

Their biggest issues were that they were loosing their sky views, the shadow and wind effects, and the fact that surrounding their neighbourhood with highrises would make it a theme park. They all talked about their inability to use their back yards because of the lack of sunlight, but to me, if you choose to live in the inner city, than you are choosing to live the urban lifestyle and one facet of the urban lifestyle is giving up personal green space and using the large nearby public green spaces.

An article from the todays Chronicle:

Building plan called both beautiful and a blight
Proposed downtown development draws mixed reaction at meeting
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Thu. Dec 6 - 5:26 AM

Halifax needs to shrug off its cloak of heritage and embrace the future through innovative building design, a public meeting on a new downtown development heard Wednesday night.

But the 60 or so people gathered at a downtown hotel also heard that three historic homes on South Park Street should not be sacrificed for a new development and that 19-storey buildings aren’t always welcome by their neighbours.

A brand new development proposed for the corner of Brenton and South Park streets incited such varied remarks from the crowd that it was at times hard to reconcile them to the same development.

What was "beautiful" to one was someone else’s "blight."

"Would I be opposed to this being in my backyard? No I would not!" proclaimed Rick Layton, whose home on Brenton Place puts him right next door to the proposed development.

Conversely, Larry Haven said he wouldn’t want to continue living in his home on neighbouring Morris Street if the structure went up.

The building, a commercial and residential design by Duffus Romans architecture and proposed by W.M. Fares group, is not permitted under current zoning and planning rules.

However, the group was last night asking for a nod from the downtown planning advisory committee which advises regional council. The public information meeting was the beginning of a long process, which includes at least three stages for rejection before the first shovel would hit the dirt.

Ruth Goldbloom, who lives on Dresden Row, said the Fares team should be thanked for bringing forward such a beautiful design.

"While we have a history in Halifax of not putting up the right structure, we also enjoy a reputation across Canada of being anti-development," she said.

"But there are compromises."

She’s hopeful the building will entice people to repopulate the heart of the city, especially at a time when "we hear in our city about everyone leaving the downtown."

"My kids have gone," agreed Ted Worthington of nearby Birmingham Street.

"We need more density downtown for 25,000 more souls," he said, referring to the city’s plan to direct residential development into the core business area.

After viewing 3-D video presentations along with the requisite side elevations, a few people were bothered by the progression of slides illustrating the shadows the building will cast onto Victoria Park and the Public Gardens across the street.

A man who lives on Brenton Street said the effect on his side of the building will be worse. "Noon on Brenton Street is going to be black," said David Barlow.

Judy and Larry Haven are trying to raise a family on Morris Street and they’re feeling pushed out by the highrises in their neighbourhood.

"We’ll be a theme park in the middle of very tall buildings," Mrs. Haven said of the historic district known as Schmidtville where they live.

"Why does the building have to be 19 storeys? If you built nine storeys would you go broke?" said Mr. Haven. "Why do we have to have another building the same height as Park Victoria?"

That 22-storey building, erected in 1962, ruined the neighbourhood with its wind and shadows, said another downtown homeowner.

"We’ve been suffering the effects of that building ever since," said Lyndon Watkins, who owns houses on Birmingham Street and Dresden Row.

"This will blight the neighbourhood even more."

After a number of people suggested the building would be better at the permitted five-storey height, a local developer who attended the meeting warned the group that good things do not always come in small packages.

"When you build buildings that are five stories, what you end up with is a squat building that covers lots of land … shoebox-type buildings," said Tony Metlej, who is not affiliated with the project.

Cesar Saleh, an engineer with the Fares group, said the building is custom-designed for the site and includes stepped-up effects at the 5th, 13th and 19th storeys so the building gets narrower as it grows.

That differentiates the design from its neighbour Park Vic, he said.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 5:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Yeah, the people who are complaining about Shadows, loss of green space, and lack of sunlight should not be living anywhere near there. they should be living out in the suburbs or outskirts. I cant understand why some of these people choose to live where they live with their views. But honesty, I don't understand what the problem is, as there are buildings just as tall or taller than this in the immediate area.

Good to see that there was a lot of praise for the development as well. I hope it goes through with few tie ups.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Conversely, Larry Haven said he wouldn’t want to continue living in his home on neighbouring Morris Street if the structure went up.

It's really hard to imagine this structure having a significant impact on the area given the fact that Park Vic is nearby and is several times larger. As for Victoria Park, it's already surrounded by large buildings. I would imagine that the impact on the Public Gardens would be very minimal (couple minutes of shadows on about 2% of the area during part of the year) and other buildings that supposedly were going to ruin the area haven't.

This sounds like a great development. I hope it gets approved and build as soon as possible and is followed by more infill on the Clyde Street lots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth