HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 12:49 AM

Ok, we really need to agree not to post in this thread till construction is actually going to happen lol. Everytime I see this thread at the top I hold my breath hoping its starting while the thread loads only to be disappointed.

This has got to be the project I want to see move forward the most right now followed closely by anything over 10 stories on the texpark site.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:07 AM
Honored Member

I hope that I didn't get BravoZulu's hopes up again (I know the feeling, I also keep hoping to hear that the tower will soon proceed).

I just wondered if the refurbished facade of Keith's Hall has been revealed? If so, could someone please get post a recent picture.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:41 AM

Haha no worries fenwick, one of these times itll be good news

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:43 PM
BANNED

I would have been entertained to see this building go up, if it had moved forward while I was living in Park Victoria. My sad harbour view (I was only on the 5th floor) would have been more cheerful with a crane beside the BellAliant Tower.

At least I got to see the Trillium's birth nearly in its entirety. I moved out of Park Victoria before the Trillium lighthouses made their wonderful debut, though...

The retail variety of the Trillium, however, is impressive. It would be nice if the Alexander could bring that to Lower Water Street, along with bringing to the downtown's cityscape a level of height more on par with the BellAliant Tower.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It would be nice to see this one go up at the same time as the Cunard block.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:39 PM
we built this city

Sorry for posting now without news... but I'd like to know where is the Keith Hall restoration right now?

Anybody know if this DA will expire?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 8:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's a bit strange how little news there's been on this project. I have no idea what will determine when they begin to move forward with the tower or if they will. Maybe they're waiting until after Keith Hall. It's promising at least that they have that project ongoing and they have done some work on the brewery building itself (Patagonia).

Last I heard the developer said he was waiting for the housing market in Halifax to improve. It seems to me like it has improved dramatically, to the point where other developers are accelerating their own projects (Chickeburger) or building speculatively (Q Lofts). The neighbourhood around the Alexander site has also improved noticeably.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 9:15 PM

I cycle past Keith Hall every day. No sign of workmen, or any activity at all, in the last 12 months as far as I can remember. The scaffolding and sheeting is still covering the building, but nothing's going on.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 2:19 AM

I'm working inside the Brewery Market about once a week or so, and was there last on Friday. I can confirm there are people working there, but how much progress is being made, I don't know.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 3:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I could see a restoration project like that being pretty painstaking. The building facade is very ornate and was in bad shape. Who knows what problems the building has? Hopefully they'll be done relatively soon; if Keith Hall is restored well it will look great.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 10:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

G.F. Duffus and Co. are doing the restoration work on Keith Hall. They have a page up explaining the project: http://www.gfduffusandco.ca/KeithHall.htm

They expect the work to be done in 2014. Apparently they have had to do things like disassemble and rebuild the sandstone facade, and they will be installing new wrought iron decorations. This should be very impressive when it is complete.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
G.F. Duffus and Co. are doing the restoration work on Keith Hall. They have a page up explaining the project: http://www.gfduffusandco.ca/KeithHall.htm

They expect the work to be done in 2014. Apparently they have had to do things like disassemble and rebuild the sandstone facade, and they will be installing new wrought iron decorations. This should be very impressive when it is complete.
I wonder/hope that if when the work is complete we might hear some news on the tower as it is way overdue and one of my personal favorites propossed along with tri-angle lands..... wonder what the hold ups are?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 10:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

No idea what's going on with the tower. I haven't heard any news about it for a long time.

The best part of the tower is that, along with the Cunard block, it would help complete that neighbourhood. Right now it only feels like half a neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 6:14 PM

Latest info I have received is that they are assessing design and marketability with no planned start date. I was really hoping to buy in this building, so I hope they are able to build sooner rather than later. This is by far one of my favorite developments and I'm hoping that assessing design does not mean substantial changes, I really think it has a lot of character and will look great in that neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 4:19 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is kind of odd because they've had approval for a while. The Trillium was built and other than that it seems like there's been a lull in condo construction downtown. Practically everything is apartment.

I wonder when their DA is going to expire?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:37 PM

This news is better than no need as I would imagine with the current state of Halifax that this is more than viable....just hope that they don't tinker too much with the design.... As far as the DA its been approved so long I wonder the same?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
....just hope that they don't tinker too much with the design....
Likewise.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder when their DA is going to expire?
They have until January 16, 2014 (5 years from registration of the DA) to receive a construction permit, excavate the site, and have the first level of underground parking substantially complete. Assuming they can complete this by then, they have a further 5 years to complete this development.

If they can't hit the first target, Council will discharge the agreement unless a written request to extend the commencement date is submitted by the developer. If that happens, Council has the choice to grant an extension.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 3:09 PM
BANNED

Well then. Something needs to happen this year.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 5:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is not uncommon for council to grant extensions, and it's possible that the company wants to amend the plan, although the site is now under HbD.

I think the design is okay, but the plan might be for exposed precast on the tower, similar to what was done with Letson Court or Salter's Gate. That's what the renderings looked like at least. That might not be so bad if mixed in with other buildings like the Vic and Salter Block, and it's not such a big deal if the lower floors are brick and stone, but it's not great.

By the way, has anybody seen Keith Hall lately? Here is G. F. Duffus and Co.'s description of the work:

This 1863 building was built as the home of Alexander Keith, Halifax's onetime mayor and the founder of the Alexander Keith's brewery located immediately to the rear of this grand town house. This project began with a comprehensive conservation report of the sandstone facade. The work began with the reconstruction of the moat walls, which are to be capped with new wrought iron railings. Once the facade conservation program was begun it became evident that the masonry backup wall was very unstable and so the entire sandstone facade had to be taken down and rebuilt. During the course of the rebuilding each piece of sandstone was repaired or replaced as required. Due to programming requirements by the owners, the reconstruction of the historic mansard roof line which will add an additional floor to the building is also planned. The image above shows the condition of the building prior to conservation. The expected completion date is in 2014.

Sounds like they are doing a thorough job on the building. It is nice to see some of these great buildings getting restored and living up to their potential. Halifax needs lots of new buildings but it needs to take good care of its old buildings too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth