HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:18 AM

Vancouver City Council approves liquor consumption at four public plazas
Kenneth Chan | Jul 30 2020

Quote:
Public drinking will be permitted from 11 am to 9 pm at the Lot 19 plaza (intersection of Hornby Street and West Hastings Street) and Bute-Robson Plaza in downtown, and the temporary pop-up plaza at the intersection of West 17th Avenue and Cambie Street in Mount Pleasant.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...srD616f-25ignw

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:57 AM

I guess Dunn's on Seymour has closed down permanently - this says "vacant possession".

https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...1-8ac85f333698

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:25 AM

thats too bad, it wasn't the worst. The location maybe wasn't good for them, it was sort of just tucked out of the way, without an easily known brand or name it wasn't enough to draw people to it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
thats too bad, it wasn't the worst. The location maybe wasn't good for them, it was sort of just tucked out of the way, without an easily known brand or name it wasn't enough to draw people to it.
I mean seems like a better idea on Granville Island. I think I went once when they first opened. Even if it is a famous brand somewhere, it's so niche in Vancouver it didn't bring much to the table.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Vancouver City Council approves liquor consumption at four public plazas
Kenneth Chan | Jul 30 2020

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...srD616f-25ignw
Ugh... lot 19 was already on the decline with endless hobo excitement. There's a few semi-permanent residents there. Monitoring of the parkade beneath has pretty much abandoned by easy park. Use at your own eventually-high risk.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:23 PM

Strange that they focussed on hardsurfaced areas - if anything, that'll take business away / sub-in for restaurant patios. I thought the desire was for more of a picnic in the park on grass type of environment.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Strange that they focussed on hardsurfaced areas - if anything, that'll take business away / sub-in for restaurant patios. I thought the desire was for more of a picnic in the park on grass type of environment.
"Earlier this week, Vancouver Park Board commissioners approved a pilot to allow public drinking in certain areas at 22 public parks. But due to delays with the process, the Park Board’s pilot project might not happen until 2021."

Not that it being legalized has stopped anyone. In fact, right outside Stanley Park brewing kiosk and in front of the restaurant itself you'll see dozens of people openly drinking their Stanley beers. It's quite comical - and convenient! I think most people can really care less. The recently closed the soccer fields around Dude Chillin' so we've just relocated to John Rogers or Robson Park or Hinge, depending on crowds. It's even more prominent because bars (especially the patios) are at half capacity.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:25 PM

Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 11:37 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 4:44 AM

Quote:
I'll remember the Lennox as a pivotal shift in that block, IIRC there wasn't anything happening on that corner for the longest time - the old movie theatres were closeby otherwise bereft of people. even the winners/bestbuy building wasn't built yet. It really brought a lot of vibrancy to that corner that I take for granted now.

-------

this hurts - Campagnolo on main closing down. Campagnolo roma closed down a few months prior, now this. the italian food there had a lighter, subtler taste to it. one of the best margherita pizzas in the city IMO

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...emic-1.5676719

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:04 AM

Didn't Burger King take up the entire corner?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Didn't Burger King take up the entire corner?
They were just in the Payless Shoes unit.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:32 AM

Thanks.
It's been a while so couldn't remember.

Campagnolo (Main St.) to close.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...emic-1.5676719

also at the Hive:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/main...lo-closes-2020

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:07 AM

Basil Box at Brentwood is now open. Walked past around 8:30 and there was quite a number of customers ordering.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:29 AM

Pelicana is opening in Burnaby near Lougheed Town Centre. They have one store in Edmonton. 3000 stores globally.

https://www.burnabynow.com/opinion/b...ion-1.24183578

https://pelicana.co.kr/en/main.html

looks good
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:46 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^ Weird. I've been living in Seoul for close to two years, and I've never seen this restaurant. Apparently, there are close to 200 locations here, so I'm not paying attention.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 5:59 AM

Guys and Dolls pool hall on Main St. closed down not too long ago, but already the space is renovated for another food and drink place. Sign says it will be called "The Pleasant". Very original name. It's a large space, and an expensive reno during Covid. I wonder which large chain is moving in?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Guys and Dolls pool hall on Main St. closed down not too long ago, but already the space is renovated for another food and drink place. Sign says it will be called "The Pleasant". Very original name. It's a large space, and an expensive reno during Covid. I wonder which large chain is moving in?
Seems like Chinese-Canadian backing and not a big chain. Their Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/thepleasantyvr/

First person who followed the account Susan Chow helped open some fashion store in Chinatown with Robert H. Lee's daughter.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 3:41 AM

Anyone even know this place existed?

Quote:
An iconic Vancouver restaurant with stunning views of downtown Vancouver faces closure as the provincial government has decided not to renew its lease.

Law Courts Inn Society vice-president Angela Folino said the space was designed to be public, an intersection between public space and the operations of the courts where people could meet outside of the processes of the courts.

She said the government believes the space would be better used as offices. Now, the society has begun a campaign to save the space.

The Law Courts Inn faces north from the superstructure of architect Arthur Erickson’s magnificent Law Courts complex in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Diners have views of an infinity reflecting pool that feeds waterfalls flowing toward the Robson Square and Vancouver Art Gallery complex with views of the city’s towers and North Shore Mountains beyond.

“It would be a horrible loss,” Folino said.

However, the Ministry of Citizens’ Services thinks the space would be better used for offices.

In a statement to Glacier Media, the ministry said the issue is one of fiscal prudence and using government-owned space rather than leasing in the city’s downtown core.

“This is especially true in the Robson Square Courthouse, where court and judicial services need to be consolidated in the same location,” the statement said. “The space vacated by the Law Courts Inn will be used by the judiciary.”

And, that’s frustrating the society, which has operated the restaurant for four decades.

“When the courthouse complex was designed by Arthur Erickson it had in its centre a large space devoted to a restaurant overlooking an infinity pond. This space was always intended to be public, but closing the inn means cutting off that public access completely,” the society said in a statement.

"We have the support of the Arthur Erickson Foundation,” Folino said.

The society maintains the restaurant is viable. But, it said, the decision not to renew the lease was made without consultation.

The society found out the lease would not be renewed at its expiry in September in a May phone call with officials from the Ministry of Citizens Service and Ministry of Attorney General, Folino said.

She said attempts to negotiate have been met with silence from Victoria.

The ministry said it understands the desire for continued public access and that public areas such as the Great Hall remain while others will be incorporated into future plans.

“We are proud of architect Arthur Erickson’s legacy and appreciate that Robson Square is an iconic property in Vancouver,” the statement said. “No character defining, external changes to the building are planned, and any changes made to the interior will be undertaken with Erickson’s original vision for the building in mind.”
https://www.nsnews.com/iconic-law-co...ure-1.24189209

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 4:59 AM
SkyTrain Nut

I've heard rumors there was a restaurant inside the courts but it seemed that all the street-level doors to the building have a pretty intimidating vibe of "nuh-uh. Do you have a REASON to be coming in here?" so I never was able to say weather or not there was a place, or just a cafeteria.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining