HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:08 PM

Turned out real nice.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Turned out real nice.
I agree! I am again impressed by how this very contemporary structure feels like it fits in well with the older buildings near by. I've observed this in other new construction as well ( e.g. the new building by the RRC). If Winnipeg continues to be a place where older and modern architectural style mesh so well, it will become quite a beautiful city.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:30 PM

Awesome building of course.. just questioning the city's selection of yet a third style of decorative streetlights for the streetscaping along Lombard. You have the classic five-bulb lights across the street and throughout the district, then the new style along Lily and now these more ornate bulb covers. *headscratch*

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think most of the trees planted in the Exchange/Downtown in the last couple years are Russian Olive. Supposed to be very hearty.

Side note TV, the view of RIC & Nutty Club man from Sals is awesome.
Russian Olives are horrible weedy species of trees, much like Siberian/Chinese Elm. I hope this isn't true. I agree with the poster who said more oak and cedar should be planted. We should really try and stick with locally native species.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:50 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Awesome building of course.. just questioning the city's selection of yet a third style of decorative streetlights for the streetscaping along Lombard. You have the classic five-bulb lights across the street and throughout the district, then the new style along Lily and now these more ornate bulb covers. *headscratch*
TV would know, are the those lamps on the north side of the building City of Winnipeg or Richardson?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Russian Olives are horrible weedy species of trees, much like Siberian/Chinese Elm. I hope this isn't true. I agree with the poster who said more oak and cedar should be planted. We should really try and stick with locally native species.
yeah bur oak, eastern white cedar and manitoba maple should be the cities main focus for tree planting now. especially on boulevards.

always nice to see tyndall stone on new buildings. the textured part of it is a great contrast, hopefully more architects take note. I think tyndall incorporates really well with the older buildings in the exchange. more natural materials - less plastic, metal and steel..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
The city is horrific at streetscaping consistency, it's depressing. There's clearly no designers or anyone overseeing this on staff. They can't even order the same bike racks consistently.

At least these are all "vintage" style. Graham is seizure-inducing. It's a complete mess. Classic meets 90s transit meets SHED meets the new cheap modular unpainted Garry "upgrades".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I don't know anything about trees but have heard that Russian olive are very hearty and can handle salt better than most others. Someone posted Winnipeg tree report/plan here a year ago maybe.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:29 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
TV would know, are the those lamps on the north side of the building City of Winnipeg or Richardson?
The ones on the north side are apparently the new standards for the Exchange District that will be phased in. They are super bright at night.

Check out the ones on the west side. They are the new standard for the rest of downtown. Really beautiful stainless steel LED. They are lower, more pedestrian scale. They also installed them along Garry Street.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:31 AM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 9:38 PM

Good to hear there's some sort of standard. Those contemporary ones should be installed all along Broadway proper and Portage ave. between St. Mary Ave. and Sherbrook to lighten the sidewalks pronto!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 6:31 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:11 PM
surely you agree with me

Fencing is down so you can walk right up to the building now. I was nervous that the landscaping would make it feel a bit office parkey, but it is good. The area is so harsh, it actually gives some nice breathing room. The corner being all hardscaping helps for sure. I bet the little pocket plaza will be well used. For an introverted building it helps it engage the sidewalk. Wouldn't do it everywhere but it doesn't feel bad. There is still a pretty strong urban edge. It is nice to walk around.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:13 PM

Looks Awesome! Great job.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:51 PM
surely you agree with me

the wood for the soffits has arrived....will add a nice warmth to it....its a red cedar that was sent to the states to be treated to be non-combustible. Wasn't sure what that process was going to do to the look but its nice.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:37 PM
Starring as himself

Congratulations. Looks really good.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 6:06 PM

I really like this. No sheet metal in sight !

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 7:57 PM
Ignore these four words.

Yes. The cedar soffits will take this building to another level. It'll look awesome. Love it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:49 AM

Why are the new sidewalk lights on Lombard a traditional (Exchange-appropriate) style, but on Westbrook they're modern polished steel? How is the CoW so inept at streetscape design?

[you can't see it in these photos, but they're there when you go by]

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:08 PM
Formerly rypinion

TV specifically answered that earlier on the page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The ones on the north side are apparently the new standards for the Exchange District that will be phased in. They are super bright at night.

Check out the ones on the west side. They are the new standard for the rest of downtown. Really beautiful stainless steel LED. They are lower, more pedestrian scale. They also installed them along Garry Street.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:40 PM

That doesn't answer why they're putting the modern ones in the Exchange, on the same damn corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan