HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Incorrect. It goes north, but over the ocean, not North America.
Looks like it cuts across part of Alaska. I didn't mean it flies directly over the pole.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 2:07 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Correct. I still think of Sacramento and Portland as river cities, though. Not sure why they should be thought of differently because they empty into the ocean, because really all rivers eventually lead to an ocean or lake. I get not calling DC a river city, as it's not really oriented around the river, and the Potomac was never the central point of the city's existence like it was for Cincinnati or St. Louis. But I think Sacramento actually was very tied to its river for much of its early existence. The old town area is right on the river, and they even have steamboats and what not like you'd find in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Louisville, etc.
I've only been to Portland a few times, but I vaguely remember the confluence of the Wilammette and Columbia rivers being fairly large?

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I've only been to Portland a few times, but I vaguely remember the confluence of the Wilammette and Columbia rivers being fairly large?
Portland and Sacramento are absolutely river cities, IMO. A different flavor than the Midwest river cities but river cities nonetheless. Borderline river cities would be cities with prominent river fronts but aren’t navigable to commercial boats or shipping. Cities like Austin, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Wichita, Des Moines, Indianapolis and Columbus come to mind.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 8:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

After reading all of the posts (ones actually on Denver)... I guess the price is justified. I did like the comments on it being an urban island, which is true. You have a relatively modern, dense city... surrounded by prairies, mountains, fields, and the Hills have Eyes folks.

I guess it makes sense for a true urban experience whereas outside of the city, is nothing but fields and boring stuff, bar the nice mountains.

More reason why we need fast trains (bullet trains). Would be nice to live let's say 100 miles for some folks, but get into the core in less than an hour. Proper transit may help to offset some of the price/affordability differentiation between folks in various professionals (teachers versus tech or warehouse workers versus finance).

I do appreciate the valid posts for helping me to understand Denver a little better.

Thanks

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
After reading all of the posts (ones actually on Denver)...
You mean you skipped over the Singapore to New York posts? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876
I guess the price is justified. I did like the comments on it being an urban island, which is true. You have a relatively modern, dense city... surrounded by prairies, mountains, fields, and the Hills have Eyes folks.
My amigo from high school bought/owns 10 acres of land just outside of that island called Denver. He owns some cows, milks them, sells cream/milk as a side business and for fun. He's by no means rich or wealthy, works for a municipal government, married with children.

There are options for everybody in greater Denver, it hasn't become California yet. It's got a ways to go before that happens.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
according to google maps, denver is also really close to the midway point between chicago and LA in terms of driving time. chicago to denver is ~14.5 hours and denver to LA is ~15 hours.
Interesting and makes sense to me. Google Maps estimates obviously don't include piss, beef jerky, pre-packaged donut, coffee, gas breaks.

One of the times I moved West, can't remember which one at this point, I once drove from Manhattan to somewhere between Nashville and Memphis in one day. That was fun!

I stayed at a Motel 6 just off of the 40 freeway for $29.99.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
You mean you skipped over the Singapore to New York posts? Why?

You know what I mean. I feel like I'm in court your Honour.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Interesting and makes sense to me. Google Maps estimates obviously don't include piss, beef jerky, pre-packaged donut, coffee, gas breaks.

One of the times I moved West, can't remember which one at this point, I once drove from Manhattan to somewhere between Nashville and Memphis in one day. That was fun!

I stayed at a Motel 6 just off of the 40 freeway for $29.99.
Makes me wonder with autonomous cars present and developing, how it will transform cross-country trips. One can go from NY to Miami in one day, assuming quick stops for fuel or electricity.

Or NY to LA in 2 days, in theory, assuming one eats in the car and makes a total of 3 hours of stop for food/gas/electricity.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 3:44 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Incorrect. It goes north, but over the ocean, not North America.
ORD/non west coast flights to east asia definitely go "over" alaska and back "down" over siberia. i've photographed the siberian coast from the window, it's quite something, adds some interest to an otherwise boring 15 hours or whatever.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 3:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
ORD/non west coast flights to east asia definitely go "over" alaska and back "down" over siberia.
ORD's new flight to chengdu, china that starts up in sept. on Hainan will come pretty close to going directly over the north pole.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 28, 2019 at 4:11 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions