HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 5:41 PM

Building Metro Vancouver in Cities Skylines

I thought of posting this as I have been having so much fun building a full-blown Metro Vancouver in the great Cities Skylines on PC.

After spending some 60 hours on the game, I have finally exhausted all the buildable landmass and hopefully captured the most remarkable landscape and cityscape features of the Metro area. As it is still a video game, there are compromises one has to make in terms of scale and exact placement of things, but I am pretty happy with my ongoing build-out.

Here is the fully built out map.

Houses in West Vancouver have the best views, like in real life. Traffic is also a constant problem on North Shore also like in real life. Unfortunately the game doesn't have a 3-lane suspension bridge asset, so my Lions Gate Bridge looks a bit more boring than in real life.

Burrard Inlet from above. One thing the game requires is there being enough industrial area but we don't actually have as much of it. I originally ended up building industrial land all the way up Lynn Canyon and at one time there was even a nuclear plant up there, but I have since gone 100% solar with a field of solar plants in Richmond.

Ironworkers Memorial Bridge is also a constant pain in the arse with so much traffic trying to cross the bridge in both directions. Even at 8 lanes it still struggles to move all the traffic during rush hour. Maybe I should consider building the famed third crossing from Clarke to North Shore?

I hope my Vancouver has all the defining features of the city. UBC is to the left (and I do have Millennium Line running all the way there!) and Downtown is up above. Hastings Street is seeing some incredible traffic volumes thanks to closeness to Second Narrows but rerouting all truck traffic on Powell Street has helped.

Downtown in all its glory! You don't realize how small the peninsula is before you trying building it in a game.

I was trying to capture all the main features but had to make some compomises. There is no Burrard Bridge and Burrard Street connects to Granville Bridge and then street. Cambie Bridge had to be built more to the center to have Olympic Village fit. Too bad that there is no proper asset for BC Place so I had to use an Expo Hall to either be BC Place or Rogers Place. Oh well.

Game's awesome asset library includes models for some of our buildings such as MNP Tower and Scotiabank Tower, but I had to use Turning Torso (Malmö/Sweden) for Trump Tower and Aura (Toronto) for Shangri-La. They may look slightly off but scale-wise they are actually pretty perfect.

I was also eager to consider building the Seawall and Stanley Park Drive, but the landscape doesn't make it easy, so it is still work in progress. Mods make it easier to build such features, but the scale on this map is tight.

Finally a fully built-out Oakridge Center from the future. I have to say, it is a pretty nice place for a small cluster.

I will post more going forward but curious to hear if people have attempted building Metro Vancouver on their side and to what effect?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 6:13 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Nice work!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 6:31 PM

Very cool and looks great. Props to spending hours building it. Best version of MetroVan I have seen in a game. Would love to see more pics of Metro town and Surrey.

PS: Also funny to see your region did not deserve a Massey Bridge either - more true to life.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 7:28 PM

I was hoping someone would do this eventually. This is incredible, Klazu. Great job!! Gives us an idea of what "could be" if we had the political will.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 10:13 PM

Wow really impressive. I've played the game and always thought of doing this but the amount of time and dedication it takes was too much.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
Wow really impressive. I've played the game and always thought of doing this but the amount of time and dedication it takes was too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
I was hoping someone would do this eventually. This is incredible, Klazu. Great job!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Very cool and looks great. Props to spending hours building it. Best version of MetroVan I have seen in a game.
Haha, thanks guys! It took some motivation especially to push further east than Burnaby. Ultimately it was the desire to build the full SkyTrain network that got me there and now I have Skytrain running all the way to Langley. And for good reason, as Willowbrook seems to be the place to shop in my game with everyone traveling there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Would love to see more pics of Metro town and Surrey. Also funny to see your region did not deserve a Massey Bridge either - more true to life.
I will post pictures of other areas later on. I have kept building adding a bit more transportation fantasy into the game. I also do have a save game which I took when most of the city was completed and there still wasn't too many fantasy projects.

Since highways in Cities Skylines are 3+3 lanes, I don't need a massive bridge even as Deltaport and Tsawwassen Mills add to the traffic through the tunnel. Most people visiting those locations seems to be from Eastern Metro as Highway 17 is being very busy around the clock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
Gives us an idea of what "could be" if we had the political will.
That. And if money would not be an issue.

I am playing with unlimited funds but charging tolls on Highway 1 through Burnaby lakes, Highway 17 in North Surrey as well as the brand new Surrey Expressway that connects Golden Ears Bridge with Highway 99. All projects I am building are based at least somewhat in reality.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:56 PM

As somebody who gives up after half an hour of terraforming: very well done.... and if you ever get fed up and launch a tsunami toward Point Grey, let us know.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:43 AM

Klazu you should post this on reddit r/vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 6:01 PM

Nice work - would you be amenable to sharing your save game in the C:S workshop? Which base Vancouver terrain map are you using, or did you create your own?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion