HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:32 PM

/\/\/\ Interesting. Did they scap the proposal by Urban Design Associates because the Mayor is not seeking re-election.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:02 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
An update: it looks like their proposal is for a new form-based zoning code. It's proposed to be classified FB-UN3 (FB-UN2 is what Central Ninth is zoned, the other form-based zoning codes exist on the west side of Sugarhouse - the 21st South/7th East area and adjacent portion of the S-line.

As a budding zoning nerd I think this looks like a really good zoning proposal. It seems that basically anything in the multi-family residential, commercial, office, and light industrial uses is allowed, and it has higher height limits than the other form-based zoning areas. I'm generally pro-form based zoning, as I feel that they are good at both creating vibrant mixed-use areas while still creating a sense of place and character, although they don't work in all areas.

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...ing%20Memo.pdf
Thanks Bob! This zone is very exciting. Just browsed the proposal and it basically blows the doors open on the land use table. Almost all "P"'s with a few "C"'s and really generous height. Basically FB-UN2 on steroids. It should be noted that the FB-UN zone has created some of the better outcomes in our city since its implementation (Central 9th). I think it's primarily a focus on quality materials and pedestrian interface. One challenge is that Form Based zoning really needs follow through and public shepherding because it has very clearly defined public goals, one primary goal is pedestrian interaction. In C9, the decade long battle for the promised streetscape improvements are not very encouraging. A major issue is that the city's maintenance and parks divisions have not been fully funded or even budgeted since the downturn cuts. City revenues and taxes have skyrocketed since and these critical pieces are languishing. So for FB codes to work, you really need a truly functioning city.

Welcome to Zoning Nerddom!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:13 AM

(deleted post)

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 8, 2019 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:09 AM

[QUOTE=wrendog;8648959]In addition to 370 Millenium, I assume Regent Street Hotel project is dead.

Regent St Hotel is definitely dead, it's a shame because it was to be a beautiful building. I wouldn't be surprised though if we here plans for the site soon. I wouldn't be so sure about 370 millenium though, I have heard rumblings that 370 millenium was planning a new, taller proposal to build the city's new tallest building. Though no official plans have been announced.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:03 AM

New 3 story, social club on 200 W

Bubba Holdings LLC has filed for a conditional use permit to build a 3 story, "membership based Social club" with a restaurant, gym, multiple bar areas, event space and a pool at 335 South 200 West.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 10:47 AM

^^^
Very nice design, and pretty interesting when considering the address and upcoming Millennium Tower. Seems like the Helds are augmenting their upcoming Millennium project. I think the Helds will definitely be making some major long term moves into the Salt Lake market. They seem to be a very careful/conservative group, much like a few of the major developers in the Salt Lake City market. Their considerable past investments here in the L.A. market over the decades have been major and highly successful, albeit in areas that are sure bets. Their modus operandi reminds me a lot of Property Reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Regent St Hotel is definitely dead, it's a shame because it was to be a beautiful building. I wouldn't be surprised though if we here plans for the site soon. I wouldn't be so sure about 370 millenium though, I have heard rumblings that 370 millenium was planning a new, taller proposal to build the city's new tallest building. Though no official plans have been announced.

I hope the final design outcome of the Millennium Tower is as sophisticated as this social club project. I agree with you regarding the Regent Street Hotel site. Any developer with the wherewithal and half a brain can see the incredible potential that plot would hold, especially a mixed-use hotel/residential. The proximity to City Creek, Eccles Theatre, Gallivan, Main & Regent St. screams DEVELOP ME!!

Last edited by delts145; Aug 10, 2019 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 11:15 AM

That is a beautifully-designed building. I'm guessing this is the empty lot across the street from the Palladio Apartments right?

This one?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7621...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
Very nice design, and pretty interesting when considering the address and upcoming Millennium Tower. Seems like the Holdings are augmenting their upcoming Millennium project. I think the Holdings will definitely be making some major long term moves into the Salt Lake market. They seem to be a very careful/conservative group, much like a few of the major developers in the Salt Lake City market. Their considerable past investments here in the L.A. market over the decades have been major and highly successful, albeit in areas that are sure bets. Their modus operandi reminds me a lot of Property Reserve.

I hope the final design outcome of the Millennium Tower is as sophisticated as this social club project. I agree with you regarding the Regent Street Hotel site. Any developer with the wherewithal and half a brain can see the incredible potential that plot would hold, especially a mixed-use hotel/residential. The proximity to City Creek, Eccles Theatre, Gallivan, Main & Regent St. screams DEVELOP ME!!
I hope you guys are all right about the Millennium Tower. If this is anything to go by, it could be a really great project.

Also, with rumblings of an impending development on the Carl's Jr. site, and the Regent Street Hotel likely dead and hopefully under review for a new development, I'm salivating at the potential of two new state-of-the-art developments next door to each other at that location.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:50 PM

I'm so glad to see something nice fill in that vacant eyesore part of downtown. Perfect location for that type of project, too.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
Very nice design, and pretty interesting when considering the address and upcoming Millennium Tower. Seems like the Holdings are augmenting their upcoming Millennium project. I think the Holdings will definitely be making some major long term moves into the Salt Lake market....
Who are you talking about???

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 6:56 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Who are you talking about???
The heirs to Earl Holding's properties, perhaps? Earl Holding (deceased) owned Sinclair Oil, The Grand and Little America Hotel(s) and a bunch of land downtown along 600 S.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:13 PM

I think it was a mistype being that the Millennium tower project is coming from Held.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think it was a mistype being that the Millennium tower project is coming from Held.
Makid, what do you make of the Millennium tower project? I think a while back you might have also mentioned they were looking at going taller with this project. Have you heard anything recently or are we making assumptions off old rumors? I like a good rumor but as time passes, reality sets in. I was really hoping for this mixed use project to be successful and move forward. I was pretty disappointed when the CC hotel didn’t include any residential units. I figured a scaled back CC would be a good thing for the Millennium tower to move forward.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 4:54 PM

Holding

Also with the Holding family being brought up, do they have any projects on the drawing board or are they just sitting and waiting with the land they have? Also, any rumblings about the Priskos heirs?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Sorry about that! Yes, I meant Held not Holding.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Makid, what do you make of the Millennium tower project? I think a while back you might have also mentioned they were looking at going taller with this project. Have you heard anything recently or are we making assumptions off old rumors? I like a good rumor but as time passes, reality sets in. I was really hoping for this mixed use project to be successful and move forward. I was pretty disappointed when the CC hotel didn’t include any residential units. I figured a scaled back CC would be a good thing for the Millennium tower to move forward.
My source for the Held project has been reliable in the past but it has been a while since there was an update from them. I am still holding out that it will happen with an increase in height.

For the CCH, the primary reason it didn't include any residential is that they have been working on a set time frame for construction and opening. Adding residential would have taken longer on the architectural plans, parking and construction that they just weren't able to work into the time line. There is still a good chance that Phase 2 will happen. Phase 2 would be at the North end and replace the UMOCA building and the current VSL offices.

The APS project may also include a residential component. The design is still being worked on.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 10:04 PM

Good info!

Thanks for the update. As usual, keep us posted on the rumor mill too!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 2:43 PM

Tower 8

It appears a white tower crane is being installed this morning at the T8 site. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Also with the Holding family being brought up, do they have any projects on the drawing board or are they just sitting and waiting with the land they have? Also, any rumblings about the Priskos heirs?
I doubt it. I know several of them personally, and they're not really property developers like their father.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:45 PM

Excited to see that the Rio Grande sign is receiving a much-needed update!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/08/...arousel-456395

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 8:09 PM

Anyone know what's going in here?

https://www.mtnwest.com/properties/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West