HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:15 PM

KSL article on CCH

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:21 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm hoping it doesn't also refer to these. I think these are also La France.

It's possible they're talking about just the row houses behind the apartments, which would still be sad to lose but not nearly as significant as the actual apartments facing Broadway.

Fun personal fact: My great-grandma, who was born in Ireland and emigrated to Utah in the early 1900s, lived in Delmar Court up until her death.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:40 PM

I think the article references 60 something units. That would have to include the ones facing 3rd.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:15 PM

It includes all of the units facing 3rd South.

From the article:

Quote:
‘Will not work’

Of the four developers asked to make presentations to church leadership, all suggested using the high-profile corner across from Pioneer Park to build new office space, a multistory apartment complex and upgraded parking structures.

But a document sent with the parish’s March 5 letter indicated that only Woodbury had a master plan in mind that fully used all the parcels, including the Crane lot across the street, and took parking underground.

Hines, Cowboy Properties and Hamilton Partners also all favored leaving the La France Apartments, with its 60-or so row houses and walk-up apartments and handful of storage units.

That option was listed several times in church documents under the heading, “Why this plan will not work for us.” Only Woodbury proposed that the aging white row houses “be demolished and replaced.”
It does look like the church itself wants them gone and was the main reason behind moving forward with Woodbury as they provided options for all of the properties. The last bolded part does add some ambiguity to this thought, as it references only the row houses and not the apartments.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:28 PM
They all float down here

Well this is disappointing. You can't ever replicate the classic walkups and Salt Lake is a unique city in the region for having a good amount in its city core. I would HATE to lose these for some nondescript development.

I know back in the early 90s, the Greek Orthodox Church removed a few of the row houses for their storage units (mentioned in the article). I really hope the Church reconsiders this, especially since it appears to pride itself on history (looking at the renovation they did recently to their church). Blah. This, to me at least, is a bigger offense than anything to do with diminishing a non-existent Japantown. At least there's substantive architecture here.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 6:54 PM

Let’s just bulldoze the church too while we’re at it. I would like to see some concrete plans before any demolition is allowed. OH! And if they do plan to tear down the row houses, the city should use eminent domain to build a mid-block street connecting east Pierpont Ave with west Pierpont Ave.

Last edited by Old&New; Mar 13, 2019 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
It includes all of the units facing 3rd South.

From the article:

It does look like the church itself wants them gone and was the main reason behind moving forward with Woodbury as they provided options for all of the properties. The last bolded part does add some ambiguity to this thought, as it references only the row houses and not the apartments.
The church has wanted those apartments gone for decades. This has been well documented.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 8:34 PM

That's too bad. The 3-story ones facing the street are so charming. We've already lost too much historic architecture in this city. Surely the church could find some way to restore those and use them.

Also surely it wouldn't be difficult at all to make Pierpont Ave. extend all the way through and I think that's something they should seriously consider. Doesn't the city have some provisions in place to force/encourage mid-block pathways in new development wherever possible?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
That's too bad. The 3-story ones facing the street are so charming. We've already lost too much historic architecture in this city. Surely the church could find some way to restore those and use them.
I suspect the church is doing this now because they need the money in order to maintain the church itself (which appears to have some level of disrepair) as well as to renovate their "existing facilities," mentioned in the article. It also says they haven't provided any real maintenance to apartments and row homes since the 1960s, which indicates there is likely significant amounts of rot, electrical, plumbing, and other materials that would likely need to be both replaced and likely upgraded. This would mean millions of dollars, something the church clearly doesn't have. Money like that is nearly impossible to raise, or else they would have built their Holy Trinity Campus' they have had planned for years a long time ago. The article states they estimate the value of all the property together is just over $10 million. Money, I suspect, the church believes they need if they are going to renovate the facilities the church has already and provide funds for the maintenance of the church building for the future.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 10:29 AM

Wouldn't Woodbury be the one that would put up the money to redevelop them if they wish? That's the point of partnering with a private developer to develop the land right?

And I'm guessing these probably have no protection from any kind of historical commission. I know the process for acquiring grants to preserve historical structures is complicated enough as is. I know we can't save all old buildings, or even every nice old building. But those are truly unique structures in Salt Lake and I feel could be well-integrated into new, denser surrounding development. Oh well. I think it's safe to assume they're basically as good as gone at this point.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:45 PM

If they’re as good as gone, then Pierpont Ave through that block is a must.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
If they’re as good as gone, then Pierpont Ave through that block is a must.
How would you accomplish that without knocking down the Poplar Street Pub?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
You would plan for it to eventually be knocked down to widen the road, but construct what you can as you get the chance, and at least connect the new road to the drive that exists just north of the building.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Looking at the map is seems like you could continue the walkway between the AC Hotel and the Milagro Apartments without impacting the Poplar Street Pub except to give them the opportunity to have a nice alternate entrance on Poplar Street.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
You would plan for it to eventually be knocked down to widen the road, but construct what you can as you get the chance, and at least connect the new road to the drive that exists just north of the building.
I agree that planning for it if the area is ever redeveloped is smart. With that said I would be disappointed to lose that building.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:27 PM
Engineer

I think losing Poplar Street Pub would be unfortunate but I'm sure they could movie into a space nearby, with all the retail that's supposed to go up in the area. Maybe this is an ignorant question, but is there anything particularly special about the building that's worth saving? I've never particularly liked how it's set so far back from the street.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 8:32 PM

Does anyone out there know if Tower 8 has any signed leases yet or is the building being built on speculation? If it does have signed leases, who are they?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 10:49 PM
SLC Lifer

Pierpont

I like pipe-dreams as much as you guys but Poplar is going nowhere. They re just wrapping up a multi million dollar expansion not to mention also eminent domain cannot be used in this fashion. As in illegal as per state statue in response to the Kelo vs City of New London. Also, eminent domaine sucks and is evil and has no legitimate pace in development assemblage.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Fun story:

Years ago, there used to be a banquet hall on the top floor of the Wells Fargo Center. I am not sure if it's still there, but anyway, I e-mailed the hall one day asking if it would be possible to come up and take some photos. I really wasn't sure what to expect, but they were open to the idea on one condition: I take some photos for them, which I agree to do and we set up a time. Of course, this was when I was still pretty young, probably in a high school at the time, and I had a little dinky handheld digital camera.
I remember going to a rave (Get Freaky, I think??) on the top floor of the Wells Fargo Building in 2004. I just remember walking down that spiral staircase and looking out the windows and seeing an endless view of the Salt Lake Valley. It was so chill! Do you know if they still operate that space as event space? That would be such a great venue for a wedding reception.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:13 AM

It looks like they are going to be building condos on two lots off 930-31 Washington Street in Central Ninth area. There is some minor prep work going on for demo work. Can't find any renderings of what will be going up there. Anyone know??? They have also started foundation work for another condo unit next door, but I can't seem to find any renderings for that project either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West