HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 4:07 PM

Halifax Retail

I decided to create this thread since a lot of general retail information has been going into the West End mall thread.

Halifax Shopping Center News

Quote:
Sephora and Hollister, opening mid August on the lower level. Aeropostale will also open on the lower level in early July!
International News is currently under renovation, the store will reopen in June.
Sirens has relocated to the upper level, next to Naturalizer.
Pseudio is newly renovated and has relocated on the upper level, next to Boathouse.
Call it Spring has newly renovated and has relocated down the hall, next to Banana Republic.
A&W is newly renovated and open to serve you, upper level in the food court.
Laura Secord is newly renovated and open to serve you, lower level.
Halifax Shopping Center Latest News

Also I noticed that Telus is moving up to the upper level.

Mic Mac Mall News:

Davidstea has opened.

Downtown Halifax News:

Baton Rouge is set to open June 15.
The North Face will be open this summer/fall
Patagonia is also set to open downtown.

Dartmouth Crossing News

NOW OPEN!

La Cucina
Roots 73
Bowring
Bombay
Addition-Elle
Alia N' Tan Jay

OPENING SOON!
Banana Republic Factory Store
Pier 1
Barnes & Castle
Toys R Us
Modern Orchid
McDonalds

Bayers Lake News

Winners in Bayers Lake is being Renovated.

Gap Factory outlet in Bayers Lake is Open.

Last edited by DigitalNinja; May 23, 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 4:27 PM

New Stores Opening
Dartmouth Crossing

NOW OPEN!

La Cucina
Roots 73
Bowring
Bombay
Addition-Elle
Alia N' Tan Jay

OPENING SOON!
Banana Republic Factory Store
Pier 1
Barnes & Castle
Toys R Us
Modern Orchid
McDonalds

Wow another Banana Republic!
We will now have the largest collection of GAP brand stores east of Montreal. 2 GAPs, 2 Old Navys, 1 Banana Republic, 1 Banana Republic Factory Store and 1 GAP Factory Store

Last edited by q12; May 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Confirmed BR Factory Store

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 10:25 PM

It looks to me that Halifax Shopping Centre is set to leap well ahead of Mic Mac as the dominant shopping mall in Atlantic Canada; it's pulling in some BIG name stores!

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 10:44 PM

BTW, all those stores mentioned in the Mic Mac opening soon thing opened in 2010 already.

The only significant news from Mic Mac this year has been the opening of Cucina Moderna (kitchen store) and the closing of the Disney Store. I was talking with an employee of American Eagle in Mic Mac and they said that once the Disney Store closed they will move their store (AE) to that space and Eclipse's space beside it, effectively doubling AE's size. The old AE location would then be home to a new Aerie (AE's Lingerie and woman's dorm wear brand) stand-alone store.

However, I have heard nothing new on the subject. I suspect that they would be building the new AE store on the second level by now and would then open that one and close the old one at the same time, which would then give them their chance to construct the new Aerie store...

I also noticed that the AE store in Halifax Shopping Centre is moving one space down in the mall...hmm. Maybe American Eagle Corp. decided to open an Aerie store there too? It would make sense, they will want to be where the people are and with the opening of Hollister coming, there will be a lot of their demographic going to HSC rather than Mic Mac for their shopping.

Still awaiting word on what other new stores are opening this year at HSC as part of their "upscale conversion". Abercrombie & Fitch? Forever 21? Urban Outfitters? Victoria's Secret? Those names have all been floating around online as potential neighbours to the new Sephora and Hollister stores opening.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 10:53 PM

Just checked and that will be a Banana Republic Factory Store at DC.

http://www.eluta.ca/search?ptitle=St...8e7d67dd&imo=1

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 4:53 PM

Nice to see some upscale brands opening Factory Stores or Outlets to go with the retail stores that already exist in their "non-outlet" forms in Halifax.

North Face is set to open on Barrington Street this summer/fall, and a Patagonia store is also opening downtown in the same area as Mountain Equipment, TAO, The Trail Shop, and the new North Face store.

DavidsTea has opened their second Halifax location in Mic Mac as well (the first is in Halifax Shopping Centre)

Another store that I could see opening in Halifax soon is Lacoste, maybe downtown (Spring Garden) or in Halifax Shopping Centre with an outlet version in Dartmouth Crossing (more "upscale" than Bayer's lake, hence the Banana Republic in DC, not BL)

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 6:03 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Nice to see some upscale brands opening Factory Stores or Outlets to go with the retail stores that already exist in their "non-outlet" forms in Halifax.

North Face is set to open on Barrington Street this summer/fall, and a Patagonia store is also opening downtown in the same area as Mountain Equipment, TAO, The Trail Shop, and the new North Face store.

DavidsTea has opened their second Halifax location in Mic Mac as well (the first is in Halifax Shopping Centre)

Another store that I could see opening in Halifax soon is Lacoste, maybe downtown (Spring Garden) or in Halifax Shopping Centre with an outlet version in Dartmouth Crossing (more "upscale" than Bayer's lake, hence the Banana Republic in DC, not BL)
Lacoste would be perfect for the Trillium groundfloor. I can totally see the croc logo above one of those entry ways on South Park!

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 6:26 PM

Ouu that's very true! I completely forgot about the retail space in the Trillium!

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 7:38 PM

Davids Tea also has a location on Spring Garden road.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Davids Tea also has a location on Spring Garden road.
Oh ok, I didn't know that!

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 8:44 PM

Also, Halifax's new Baton Rouge Restaurant downtown in the Morse's Tea Building is planning to open on June 15th!

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 9:24 PM

Quote:

I doubt you would see a lacoste come to halifax. Its a whole different price range then even hollister. Their polos sell for over $100.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 9:31 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypacky View Post
I doubt you would see a lacoste come to halifax. Its a whole different price range then even hollister. Their polos sell for over $100.
Ever been to Mills/Duggers?

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypacky View Post
Wrong, the classic Lacoste polo retails for $85 CAD. Most items in a Lacoste store are less than $100, save for the bags and higher end items.

Hollister is a poser surfer brand, I can't even believe people wear it.

Additionally, stores like Mills have retarded mark ups. If the Rideau Centre can support a Lacoste, I'm sure SGR or HSC could.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 11:21 PM

Halifax is a high income city, we already have stores like Coach that are more pricey than Lacoste. I have many Lacoste clothing items, and I know they would have no problem here in Halifax. I've been to the Rideau Centre location, and I don't think that the Rideau Centre has anything on the malls we have here in Halifax. It was very run down and out-dated.

Regarding Hollister, I can see why people dislike it. It is very loud and obnoxious with its marketing and its stores. However, I like it just for that reason; it is very different from other stores. Most stores are the typical walk in a open space with quiet music and racks and tables of clothes, Hollister definitely isn't like that. They spend A LOT of time and money on decorations and other things that create an overall appeal to young customers aged 15-25ish that they focus their marketing on. The vast majority of people that dislike Hollister are outside of the store's target age group because of their store's set-up and young feel to it. I'll probably hate the store too once I am outside of their demographic

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
we built this city

Quote:

Regarding Hollister, I can see why people dislike it. It is very loud and obnoxious with its marketing and its stores. However, I like it just for that reason; it is very different from other stores. Most stores are the typical walk in a open space with quiet music and racks and tables of clothes, Hollister definitely isn't like that. They spend A LOT of time and money on decorations and other things that create an overall appeal to young customers aged 15-25ish that they focus their marketing on. The vast majority of people that dislike Hollister are outside of the store's target age group because of their store's set-up and young feel to it. I'll probably hate the store too once I am outside of their demographic
Well, the issue I have with Hollister is I actually do surf from time to time and they are cashing in on that community... without being authentic. They even harass people in the actual Hollister California for using the name.

Its basically A&F clothing... I wouldn't be caught dead in that stuff. Ralph Lauren is far better.

Lacoste has deep roots in the tennis community (Rene) and still is worn by athletes and a sponsor for tennis.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 12:27 AM
Urban Thinker

Yep, Lacoste make fantastic polos. I have two.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 12:36 AM

Oh I see haha well I don't surf at all but you're probably right. I just like that their clothes are cheap (ish) and are of good quality, and that the stores are cool to shop in.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 4:47 AM

I was just to the Crossiron Mills mall today here in Calgary and then to 'The Core' as well. Both have Lacoste stores - the prices seem pretty much to be around the same level as Banana Republic, may be slightly higher.

There is no reason why Halifax couldn't support Hollister, BR or Lacoste - it's just a matter of getting the store there and it advertised. I know countless people who shop for Lacoste stuff everywhere else, other than a lacoste store (since Halifax doesn't have one).

As for Hollister...it's geared towards young gay twinks lol. Speaking as an older gay male - that's ALL they wear lol. That and American Eagle. I have a few things from AE - but I felt totally wrong being in the store lol. I'm just old lol.

Another good store which I am a huge fan off is RW & Co. I'm not sure what chain owns it, but my friend and I went to the one in Crossiron and got some really great deals. Two pairs of casual jeans for me; was 40% off the existing mark down. With taxes, $32! One store that Calgary just got at Chinook, which is also out at Crossiron Mills (and doing good business) is Michael Korrs (yes, the same guy on the panel of project runway). For ladies stuff, apparently he does it well. I could see one of MK in Trillium. Granted Mills carries his stuff I believe.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
Urban Thinker

If Halifax can support two Banana Republics (DC and HSC) I'm sure we could support a Lacoste.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General