HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:32 AM

Any word on the commercial space in the Lister? Has anybody with deep pockets stepped up to the fill the void?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 10:07 PM

Actually I'm wondering with regards to the Lister commercial space, how does the city's deal with LIUNA work? If it sits there empty for eternity is the city the loser in that scenario or LIUNA?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:59 AM
Hammer'd

The city would be. LIUNA has nothing to do with it any more, they got their $30 Million for restoring and selling it. The city took ownership when it was completed. I do believe LIUNA still owns the land around it though (where the Bafour and Thomas buildings were). Back when all this stuff was drafted up, Lister Block was supposed to be phase one with phase two seeing residential and seniors development on the adjacent land. I think LIUNA might end up revising that to condo development with the recent upswing on James North though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 8:20 PM

Crud. I can't see the city getting tenants for those prices, apart from Starbucks.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 12:27 AM

Cafe Oranje has apparently been angling for a space in the Lister. A cafe was reportedly on the city's wish list but it's hard to imagine an independent making a go of it without the city discounting the rent to well below the true cost, which opens the door to all kinds of friction from others who were interested and perhaps a great fit but deterred by the insane price tag.

Last edited by thistleclub; Dec 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 8:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

The new Lococo at East Mountain looks really good.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The new Lococo at East Mountain looks really good.
Is it now open?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Is it now open?
A couple of weeks ago I asked a teller at their Barton Street store when it is suppose to open and she said in the new year.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 2:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Apparently the foundation of the new Lococo is breaking apart. They need to redo the foundation.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
A couple of weeks ago I asked a teller at their Barton Street store when it is suppose to open and she said in the new year.
It opened a few days ago.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 3:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

It appears now that the Bay bought Saks they'll open 25 Off 5th (clearance store) outlets across Canada.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 12:05 AM

^Is it like Winners or...?

Any in Hamilton you think?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 3:38 AM
It's Hammer Time

Definitely one in Hamilton, question is where? Limeridge? I dunno if the Bay will want Off 5th nearby. Likely Eastgate or if Jackson keeps the good news trend going perhaps they'll get it.

Off 5th is way higher than Winners. Designer brand name clothes but at a clearinghouse.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 4:17 AM

Oooh! If Jackson Square gets an Off 5th, I'll be so happy haha! I just bought some great shoes there a month ago. Anyways, JS is way to small to have an Off 5th, I don't really see Hamilton having an Off 5th just yet. There will probably be one in Oakville or Burlington though!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 5:56 PM

i think why not Hamilton Especially downtown has lots to offer people, hey i say lets make this a destination

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 6:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/0...ff-5th-to.html

SAKS FIFTH AVENUE'S DISCOUNT 'OFF 5TH' TO OPEN UP TO 25 CANADIAN LOCATIONS

Saks Fifth Avenue's discount retail concept 'Off 5th' will open up to 25 Canadian locations, according to Hudson's Bay Company CEO Richard Baker. Saks' Off 5th concept will likely follow the opening of Canadian Saks Fifth Avenue stores, which we expect to happen within the next 12-18 months.

Existing Hudson's Bay real estate will likely be utilized for Off 5th stores, including some Home Outfitters and former Zellers real estate still held by The Hudson's Bay Company. Existing store space within Hudson's Bay stores could also be utilized for Off 5th.

Off 5th carries both discounted merchandise from Saks Fifth Avenue's full-priced stores, as well as products purchased specifically for the store. Off 5th will therefore compete with the likes of Nordstrom Rack and Holt Renfrew's recently opened hr2 concept.

Off 5th stores are generally 20,000-35,000 square feet, with a recent focus on stores in the 25,000-28,000 square foot range, according to an article describing the chain's expansion strategy.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 1:20 PM

Once-hot Coffee Culture location cools down in village core
(Ancaster News, Kevin Werner, Aug 22 2013)

Nearly four years after it opened, the Coffee Culture franchise was closed this spring after financial issues with the landlord.

The café, located in the old Adam Marr House at 402 Wilson St. E., was touted at the time of its opening as the type of business perfect for downtown Ancaster. Businessman Henry Krukowski, who owns the building and most of the block around the Marr house, said he was disappointed about the situation.

“We really do need that sort of business in the village,” said Krukowski, who personally worked to restore the historically significant structure that housed the café.

A notice taped on the building’s door by Bailiff Solutions Inc. of Hamilton states the business was shut down June 13, 2013. The notice identified $136,800 as outstanding and stated the bailiff had taken over the property and terminated the tenancy.

The business was a franchise, said Krukowski. Coffee Culture leased the property, stated the notice. Krukowski said he had some difficulty in making the decision to issue a landlord termination warrant to the business owners, but finally made it a few months ago….

Azim Akhtar, director of marketing for Coffee Culture, based in Toronto, confirmed the Ancaster location had been closed. But he said he “couldn’t disclose” why it was out of business. He said Coffee Culture is opening a new location in downtown Hamilton at King and John streets. There is also a Coffee Culture located along Centennial Parkway.

Akhtar said it would be up to the company’s research team to determine if a new Coffee Culture outlet will be available in Ancaster. At the time of its 2009 opening, Coffee Culture was billed as a bistro-style café, offering light lunches, baked goods, ice cream, gourmet waffles and specialty coffees.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
I paid the Walmart at Upper Sherman and Mohawk a visit last night to get some junk food, and I chatted up the staff there. I asked them when the No Frills lease would expire, and was told that it was up in 2014.

Makes me think that, in 3 years, a Walmart Supercentre will be placed there.
According to one side of the No Frill's sign they are staying open.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:24 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergirl View Post
According to one side of the No Frill's sign they are staying open.

From what I have heard the No Frills will be closing soon. But then again I heard the closing date was supposed to be March 18 and yet they are still open.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:22 PM

Laced is opening in the old La Senza location in City Centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion