HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 1:40 AM

Lightbulb

That's why a lot of people use the one wall rule. If you tear down a house but leave up one wall, its technically considered a remodel. Less red tape and less time needed in the approvals for remodels. People do it all the time in Lakewood and orange county.

At the end of the day, its all the red tape and regulation but that red tape and regulation comes form some where. Politicians who don't have a clue and jealous nimbys that are loud enough and rich enough to be heard. There are people trying to fight the gateway tower up above in long beach still and its already topped out. "The size of it has already slowed down traffic on ocean blvd because people are staring at it".... Says my best friends neighbor who lives 3 blocks away. its mind boggling. But under the same breathe she said its not fair that she couldn't afford a condo in it once its done. The world is full of idiots

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:18 AM

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
Glendale is a city that has really embraced growth and benefited from it with lots of new development. The shame with Glendale is that it's not somehow connected to the transit system, like how Pasadena is.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah View Post
California's housing affordability is all self-inflicted state governmental interventionism. No pity for self inflicted wounds.
"Government" is often just the will of the people, especially in the case of the housing crisis. Look at Prop U, in Los Angeles, for example. That was a voter backed initiative, which drastically cut allowable built capacity...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:42 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
There's an aerial rendering in that link that is really worth opening in a new tab and viewing individually because it's an impressive image... also that block of freeway directly abutting this site is a PRIMEEE target for a freeway cap park

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
There's an aerial rendering in that link that is really worth opening in a new tab and viewing individually because it's an impressive image... also that block of freeway directly abutting this site is a PRIMEEE target for a freeway cap park

It's in the works. Several blocks of the 134 freeway from central Ave to Glendale Ave, which are all in a tunnel with no roof basically

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
It's in the works. Several blocks of the 134 freeway from central Ave to Glendale Ave, which are all in a tunnel with no roof basically
I'd love to see that happen, but can we PLEASE cap the 101 between Civic Center and Olvera Street/Chinatown/Union Station first? And the 101 in Hollywood-- that area could definitely use some park space.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I'd love to see that happen, but can we PLEASE cap the 101 between Civic Center and Olvera Street/Chinatown/Union Station first? And the 101 in Hollywood-- that area could definitely use some park space.
All of those should happen plus 110 through downtown

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
All of those should happen plus 110 through downtown
From a connectivity perspective, the 110 should be capped through downtown. But it's a pretty sweet view driving through there...in fact, I think it might even be a state designated 'scenic vista'. Odd as it may sound, that could cause CEQA delays, as it'd represent denigration of an existing resource.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 4:51 AM
Everywhere all at once

I would not want them to cap the 110 honestly. As is being alluded to in the previous post, it's probably the most iconic stretch of freeway in Los Angeles, in California, and quite possibly the country, so I would also argue that it's worthy of preservation.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 7:49 AM

Would be cool if the downtown portion of the 110 had a skyscraper canyon/wall on both sides. Like the Chicago river but not a river lol or something similar to the high rises built up around Tokyo’s freeways

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
From a connectivity perspective, the 110 should be capped through downtown. But it's a pretty sweet view driving through there...in fact, I think it might even be a state designated 'scenic vista'. Odd as it may sound, that could cause CEQA delays, as it'd represent denigration of an existing resource.
The state-designated "scenic route" is the CA-110/Historic Arroyo Seco Parkway portion, not the I-110/Harbor Freeway portion.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
The state-designated "scenic route" is the CA-110/Historic Arroyo Seco Parkway portion, not the I-110/Harbor Freeway portion.
That makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I would not want them to cap the 110 honestly. As is being alluded to in the previous post, it's probably the most iconic stretch of freeway in Los Angeles, in California, and quite possibly the country, so I would also argue that it's worthy of preservation.
I don't consider there to be anything "iconic" about the 110 fwy through downtown and I certainly won't miss viewing it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I don't consider there to be anything "iconic" about the 110 fwy through downtown and I certainly won't miss viewing it.
Since the Harbor freeway is mostly below grade through downtown, in principle it shouldn't be hard to cap it and make a linear park or even put some buildings above it. Same for the 101 flowing between City Hall and Union Terminal. Use the land. The traffic can flow underground.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I would definitely support capping the 110 through downtown. Much better to stand in a park and enjoy the view than driving through it (or, sitting in traffic, more realistically).
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 7:27 PM

Lightbulb

I was looking at the areas around the planned D line (purple) extension to speculate on potential new large-scale development and, not surprisingly, some of the station areas are already quite densely developed.

I started by looking at the UCLA station because as it's the future busiest station in the entire system (once the sepulveda pass line opens), it seems ideal for large scale development. The parking lot on the NW maybe? That surely can't stay.
Future D Line Station by Shawn Graham, on Flickr

Century City seems to lack much room other than on top of the station or tearing down parking.

Very little space near Rodeo as well.

Not much room around La Cienega either.

I think that there's a surprising amount of developable land surrounding the Future Fairfax station. The buildings/ businesses on the NW side are undersized and the land not fully used. Is the Museum expanding to the large parking lot on the SE?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the areas around the planned D line (purple) extension to speculate on potential new large-scale development and, not surprisingly, some of the station areas are already quite densely developed.

I started by looking at the UCLA station because as it's the future busiest station in the entire system (once the sepulveda pass line opens), it seems ideal for large scale development. The parking lot on the NW maybe? That surely can't stay.

Century City seems to lack much room other than on top of the station or tearing down parking.

Very little space near Rodeo as well.

Not much room around La Cienega either.

I think that there's a surprising amount of developable land surrounding the Future Fairfax station. The buildings/ businesses on the NW side are undersized and the land not fully used. Is the Museum expanding to the large parking lot on the SE?

They can always tear down a smaller building.
Century city has a few. And people will be willing to walk a few blocks from the metro.
I think people will walk to Beverly center

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:29 PM

Maybe. Anything built before 1980 is at risk of being considered historical.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Maybe. Anything built before 1980 is at risk of being considered historical.
Hopefully the sane people who's decisions matter will consider Pre-1950, Googie, and Mid-Century (the good stuff) historical.

It's getting to the point that 70s Brutalism and 80s-90s Crapism (am I the first to use that term?) is now considered historical which I hope it never will be. Ugh!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations